Author Topic: Rod recomendations for a JawJacker  (Read 5637 times)

Offline ice papa

• IceShanty Rookie
Rod recomendations for a JawJacker
« on: Oct 18, 2022, 02:29 PM »
What rods are a good fit for a JawJacker. I'll be using it for walleyes.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Rod recomendations for a JawJacker
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2022, 05:03 PM »
https://www.purefishing.com/dock-runner-spinning-combo-1454371

Enough snap to hook through the mouth and enough bend to keep them pinned. I'd suggest swapping out the reel for a better one but they have handled a few 5lb walleye well but the drag does slip.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2022, 05:15 PM »
https://www.purefishing.com/dock-runner-spinning-combo-1454371

Enough snap to hook through the mouth and enough bend to keep them pinned. I'd suggest swapping out the reel for a better one but the have handled a few 5lb walleye well but the drag does slip.

Agreed the rod is a good inexpensive choice ...reel is clunky ...I got mine at my local Walmart .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2022, 09:54 PM »
The Dock Runner Rod is good. Suggest you toss the reel.  I have a couple that I cut down for use in the flip when fishing for Lakers but on my Jacker setups for trout I actually like the Jaw Jacker Rods.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2022, 01:31 PM »
If I were to start over on my Jackers, I'd go with either the Wally Perca or Rippineyes.

https://twobrothersinnovations.com/elliott-rods/ice-rods/
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2022, 01:46 PM »
I like the dock runner too, except its just a little to stiff for good trout imo.  I fish alot of big rainbows in shallow water, and their head shakes and fighting need a tip area with more bend.  If it wasnt shallow water, they would be fine.  I still use them, but am too searching for a cost effective better rod for all applications.  I have a couple old berkleys that I like the action on, but I wish they were longer.  I like longer rods, up to 40", and really like the action on the dipstick from frostbite, but the rod tips on ALL frostbite rods are not made for jaw jackers...theres no bracket.  Without a bracket your forced to tie the loop to the circle of the guide, or to the actual pole.  Not ideal and can break them. 

If there is a rod in the $20-35 range, and 35-41" with a soft tip and stiff back bone let me know!  Ill but 6 of them :)

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2022, 08:41 AM »
Remember that a good substitution for an Ugly Stick Dock Runner is the Zebco Dock Demon. The Runner only has a fiberglass tip, while the Demon is all glass.

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2022, 02:46 PM »
I have tried several cheap rods and had a couple that the jawjacker pulled the tip guide off the pole. My goto for the JJ are my Haat Rods. I have a Haat Ghost 42" fiberglass rod that works real well and the 36" spinning ones work well too. I have a ugly stick that is still holding tough but some of my other cheaper rods don't do so well on the Jaw Jackers, either to short handle or not long enough to bend over and hook in or pulled the guide off.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline MontanaFlyGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2022, 03:15 PM »
I've had good luck with, and have been very happy with the durability of rods from Lake Shore Tackle. The 36" is my go to for my jawjackers, enough pop for a good hookset, and enough backbone for big trout or ling. 

https://www.lakeshoretackle.com/product-category/ice-rods/#.Y5jpv3bMKUm
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Offline BillyHoyleUSA7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2022, 09:52 PM »
Remember that a good substitution for an Ugly Stick Dock Runner is the Zebco Dock Demon. The Runner only has a fiberglass tip, while the Demon is all glass.

I bought one of my kids a dock demon combo…if I just switch out a better reel I’m good to go with the jawjacker?
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2022, 05:53 PM »
I saw this on FishUSA when I was looking at the rods that they are donating for Ice Shanty giveaways, no idea if they're any good.

https://www.fishusa.com/JawJacker-Ice-Rod/

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2022, 08:51 PM »

Dock Demon is gtg.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2023, 11:47 AM »
Berkeley Cherrywood.  Inexpensive and gets the job done.

Offline oneidawalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2023, 05:20 PM »
www.oneidalakefishingt ackle.com  under Absolute Zero Custom Ice Rods

Offline BuschaLatte

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ope!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2023, 08:30 AM »
I use the ones directly from JJ.  I like them, haven't had issues.  Generally only using these for trout, but I'm sure they are plenty enough for most fish. 
Ope! hey there bud, be sure to tell your folks I says hi

Keep wild places wild, be a good role model for young ones, keep public lands and accesses clean so we never lose them.

Offline tkhuntsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2023, 01:40 AM »
I've had good luck with the jaw jacker rods they make I like the 29" med. For trout and smaller walleyes and I like the 31" med/hev for most other walleye use. If your gonna get into pike or Lakers the heave heavier longer options. I tried a few of the shorter med/hev frostbite rods and they worked well. Really any 28 to 32" med to heavy action rod should work I recommend graphite over glass so you get the snap and it doesn't retain memory in the flex point of the rod.

Offline BuschaLatte

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ope!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2023, 06:45 AM »
I'll note that my friend uses fiberglass rods - Cadillac elites - longest ones.  Primarily we use it for trout - stockers in lakes.  The nice soft tip works great for this to dampen shaking.  I really don't think you can go wrong in choosing a type so long as it matches your targets.
Ope! hey there bud, be sure to tell your folks I says hi

Keep wild places wild, be a good role model for young ones, keep public lands and accesses clean so we never lose them.

Offline IrishnId

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2023, 12:22 AM »
My jawjackers have dedicated ugly sticks with them. They're dang near indestructible, I have a small bell epoxies onto the the base of the rod and a permanent loop on the eye for the jacket. Sensitivity isn't a big deal because I use them dead stick and catch alot of trout and burbot on them.

Offline IrishnId

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2023, 09:25 AM »
My jawjackers have dedicated ugly sticks with them. They're dang near indestructible, I have a small bell epoxies onto the the base of the rod and a permanent loop on the eye for the jacket. Sensitivity isn't a big deal because I use them dead stick and catch alot of trout and burbot on them.

Offline ian_padron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2023, 12:37 PM »
If you want a US made rod that was made for that purpose, get yourself a Haat rod.

I absolutely love mine, glass composite blanks are the bomb!

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2023, 12:49 PM »
I use a number of cheap fiberglass dock demons.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.