New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE  (Read 29079 times)

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
New to Southern NY and new to ice fishing. Wanted to say hello! Will be following this thread. Looking forward to getting out there this winter.

Welcome aboard ... audience participation is encouraged..note the Reports and Conditions Boards

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=50.0
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
New to Southern NY and new to ice fishing. Wanted to say hello! Will be following this thread. Looking forward to getting out there this winter.

Welcome aboard.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Brent_Mydland welcom to Ice Shanty,Southeastern,NY. and ice fishing. Keep following this thread to see what is happening in our area , please feel free to ask questions.
    Steve

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Nice user name and welcome to the site..  ✌️

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Welcome, even though I'm about as far north as I can be, and still be in NY!  ::)
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Welcome Brent, I'll dedicate Blow Away to you next time on on the ice jamming and jigging. Liberty Agway has all sizes when available. A lot of the stores do good, but they seem to go the extra mile on the bait fish. Fathead to jumbo. They carry grubs, mousies etc. It's tough for the stores in general to handle that first ice around here any more. The forecast as such they would hold on to a lot of bait. If you're headed past liberty on 17 west Fur Fin And Feather is some real good people with good bait as well in Livingston Manor.

Offline brent_mydland

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Sitting here in limbo, knowing that I have to go
Thanks for the welcome, banter, & tips everyone! Cheers. Waiting for things to freeze down here, had to get the fly rods out yesterday.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Brent,I believe you now have enough post to see and use the reports and Conditions forum for New York. there is a topic titled Sullivan county small waters just check dates of posts to make sure they a recent. Also think you can now use the personal/private message feature here on Ice shanty.

Hopefully we see a change in temperatures soon so ice starts building on area lakes and ponds.

Steve

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Steve,

I tried, but I cannot find the Sullivan County Small Waters thread. Help me out.

Brent,I believe you now have enough post to see and use the reports and Conditions forum for New York. there is a topic titled Sullivan county small waters just check dates of posts to make sure they a recent. Also think you can now use the personal/private message feature here on Ice shanty.

Hopefully we see a change in temperatures soon so ice starts building on area lakes and ponds.

Steve
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Subway4x4 once you have logged-in under where it will say Welcome Subway4x4 look for the word forum in a line with other words. if you click on forum takes you to a page listing all of the forums/boards here on Ice Shanty  . Scroll down the page look for New York Reports and Conditions click on it currently the topic Sullivan County small waters is on page 3 of the 4 pages . Last post was made by Yotecatcher on Jan.22,2022.

I hope this has helped you and others find the reports and conditions if you are not logged-in you will not see this listed on page with all of the forums for logged-in members only. I maybe wrong on this post total but believe new members need to make 3 posts before being able to view these forums and use the personal/private message feature on this website.

Steve

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This warm weather is very depressing.   

I’m about ready to get my kayak back out.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Hardwater diehard ,thank you for providing the hyperlinks to make it easier for people to find the Ny.Reports & Conditions forum and the Sullivan County small waters topic/thread.

Kb try and stay positive we may still see an extended period of colder weather that will allow us to ice fish without have to travel several hours of driving time.

Steve

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I saw a few fishermen on a small pond near liberty yesterday. then I watched a video taken yesterday on a different site of guys catching crappie in Sullivan Co. N.Y. 

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was able to get out the week of Christmas on some private water up in Sullivan but I'd guess that most of the public lakes currently aren't safe or have open shorelines.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I buy my jigging bait in bulk before the ice hits, and now every time I open the refrigerator door, all my bait - meal worms and spikes….maggots are sitting there just waiting to be used. 

My bait is soooo lonely, oh so lonely..

If anyone knows any weather men or women, could you ask them to deliver freezing temperatures to Dutchess and Putnam counties?   It’s not for me, it’s for my bait.    They are soooo loooonnely. 

Oh, and my wife isn’t all too happy looking at plastic bags full of maggots next to her cooking….   😇

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
I buy my jigging bait in bulk before the ice hits, and now every time I open the refrigerator door, all my bait - meal worms and spikes….maggots are sitting there just waiting to be used. 

My bait is soooo lonely, oh so lonely..

If anyone knows any weather men or women, could you ask them to deliver freezing temperatures to Dutchess and Putnam counties?   It’s not for me, it’s for my bait.    They are soooo loooonnely. 

Oh, and my wife isn’t all too happy looking at plastic bags full of maggots next to her cooking….   😇
Head north a little bit do a day of recon then run back the next day based on what you find feels like 11 degrees this am lower Sullivan

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Thank you for the contests information Hardwater diehard . Nice to see the Loch Sheldrake fire dept. is having a contest once more after not holding one for a few years.

My personal choice not to use Face Book so will ask here has anyone heard anything about the Mahogany Ridge hunting & fishing club contest that is held on Highland Lake in Sullivan county usually  on the Saturday of Presidents weekend in February .

Use caution if attempting to fish this weekend.

Steve

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Thank you once again Hardwater diehard, you are a true asset to this website. The Lake Superior contest is a new one for me . I see the cost for mahogany Ridge contest went up 5 dollars till a good deal with the pig roast. Now hopefully nature cooperates and we get a period of cold weather with littl/no snow to build up the ice on local lakes and ponds.
    Steve

PS. Hardwater diehard please check you PM inbox.

Offline speakeasy

• IceShanty Rookie
New to ice fishing + this board. I stopped by White Lake with a friend to make my first attempt at ice fishing a couple weeks ago, but the ice was way too thin. May have to wait until next year to have a shot but looking forward to reading about it as much as possible and resist the urge to buy gear.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Speakeasy welcome to the sport of ice fishing and the Ice Shanty website. you have found a great source for information on the sport. Just a suggestion for you the smaller  usually shallower lakes/ponds freeze/ice over first and are a better bet at finding ice that will support your weight and that of your gear and any partners. Outside of Livingston manor in Sullivan county there is Lake Wameta. Do a search to find the phone number for FIn,Fur and Feathers sport shop in Livingston manor they may have some info. about ice conditions on this body of water. Generally speaking 4 inches of Black/Clear ice is considered "Safe" for ice fishing. Rember there is no truly "Safe" ice and the ice cover on a lake is not a uniform thickness in some cases it can change in the mater of a few feet. Believe you need two more posts and then when you are logged-in and click on the word Forum it will take you to a listing of all the forum/boards on this website scroll down looking for New York Reports & conditions go through the pages and look for Sullivan county small waters. check that topic for any recent reports. REMEBER TO CHECK DATES ON POSTS . Go with a partner /buddy since all of this is new to you. there are several videos on ice safety on You Tube suggest you watch a couple. All the best to you this season and as you venture into this new for you sport.

My computer skills do not match hardwater diehard's but for everyone's knowledge information on the king of the Ice contest held on White Lake can be found at the link below . look fo king of the ice to get contest info.
                          sullivancountyconservationclub.org Just checked to see if the link is correct and working. This years contest date is Sunday Feb. 19TH .

Steve

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Takes place at White Lake / Kauneonga Lake

Registration, Weigh-In & Awards at White Lake Fire Dept. (1596 St. Rte. 17B)

Contest runs 6am-3pm.  Awards & Prizes follow

Youth 15 & under are FREE with paid adult

We plan to have bait available for sale at the event

Up to $2000 total cash & prizes!  Largest eligible fish $500 *                 

* Must be brought to the weigh station alive to qualify!  See "Event Rules" link for complete rules.

https://www.sullivancountyconservationclub.org/_files/ugd/9aa9a8_b5b17098cbd24a0091b9d85c1671cba6.pdf

https://www.sullivancountyconservationclub.org/_files/ugd/9aa9a8_1c0b6b4da6ea4cf29ee57dc5967a752e.pdf

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Hey look at that a new thread! So fished on 12/28 (about a month ago) found 9" shockingly here in Orange County caught one perch right when I got there. Didn't catch much else because I had to leave earlier than I would've liked. Haven't been back since to see how it held up to the rain and warm temps been too busy taking care of all my off season projects for next years deer season.... might check it out later this week when the cold returns until then have a couple more things to finish up in the woods... This year has been the least amount of ice fishing I've done by far due to lack of ice.

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Miles59

• IceShanty Rookie
Wanting to fish Tenannah Lake in Roscoe next week. I haven’t been there yet so I’m looking for help as to where to park and how to get onto the lake. It looks like Bowers Road on the north end is the way to go, but asking for advice. Thanks in advance.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Good evening, Loudmouth879 nice to see a post from you hopefully we see a stretch of colder weather with no snow so area lakes/ponds build inches of ice and we all can get out to fish.
Miles59 I need to do some searching but believe like many of the lakes in Sullivan county Tennannah is privately owned so no public access . Many communities in the county have home/property owner and lake associations so unless you own property/home in a community can not use the lake unless the association rules allow home/property owners to have guests fish with them. I know of one lake where visitors have to place a sticker on the dash board of their vehicles and wear a tag while fishing.
Hardwater diehard thank's once more for posting info. and links to king of the Ice contest.

Steve

Offline Miles59

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks Mr. Clean I was afraid Tenannah was private. We do an annual ice day at Wolf Lake, which is another private lake. I’ll keep looking!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Miles59 , you are welcome as i mentioned to member Speakeasy search for the phone number and call the Fin,Fur and Feathers sport shop in Livingston Manor and see what they can tell you about ice conditions on Lake Wameta  and Monguap pond. I believe the shop will open around 9AM tomorrow inquire about their hours the couple that own the shop are both in their seventies. They do not do much early morning business during the week so open at 9Am or later Monday through Friday. I suggest that you or anyone planning to get bait there call before making your trip to be sure they are open. the Agway store in liberty sells live bait not sure of their hours . Lake Wameta contains pickerel and pan fish,Monguap Pond I believe also contains trout besides the pickerel and pan fish.

Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.