Author Topic: HT ice blue rods  (Read 5462 times)

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
HT ice blue rods
« on: Jan 15, 2020, 09:31 AM »
Spent many years sitting on a bucket, and have recently bought a 2 man flipover. Always used a longer rod 30-36in. The flipover came with 2 24in Ice Blue medium action rods  that the PO used, are these rods ok for inside fishing, or should I get something else. I'll be fishing for walleye most of the time. Thanks

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: HT ice blue rods
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2020, 09:52 AM »
Those should work fine for you but if you like using a longer rod in your flipover you shouldn't have too many issues fishing a rod up to 30" in length.

Offline TheGobyGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2020, 12:23 PM »
Im guessing they aren't too sensitive. You'll probably be happier with some more sensitive graphite/carbon/fast glass rods for walleye.  I fish 28-30 inch rods in my one man. I just keep the rod tip close to the hole.  Just give yourself room for the hookset.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2020, 03:34 PM »
Use the hut several times and you'll figure out what works best for you. I fish out of a flip over most times and all my rods are 30" or shorter.

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2020, 08:14 PM »
I have an ice blues and it's super sensitive. My go to for panfish. Cant speak to walleye, but I like the rod a lot

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2020, 11:25 AM »
Ice blues are parabolic noodle rods. Not sensitive at all, in fact they feel like a wet noodle, but they are super light action so you can see the tip move if a fish sniffs it. I wouldn't dream of putting a walleye bait on one, it'll probably bend it in half. A 6" bluegill bends it completely over when fighting, I imagine you'll have your hands full if you hook a walleye with it.

You don't need short rods in most flipovers, that's old school thought of needing 18-20" rods when fishing inside. I use 32" rods in mine and my buddy's tents without issue.

I use the ice blues for dead sticking panfish  ;)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2020, 01:11 PM »
36" Schooley Arctic Blues. Fiberglass. Sensitive with plenty of backbone. Good for perch as well. Great in the shack and won't break the bank.

By the way, love the HT's for gills paired up with an Ice Strong titanium. Good enough for these...

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2020, 01:41 PM »
Ice blues are parabolic noodle rods. Not sensitive at all, in fact they feel like a wet noodle, but they are super light action so you can see the tip move if a fish sniffs it. I wouldn't dream of putting a walleye bait on one, it'll probably bend it in half. A 6" bluegill bends it completely over when fighting, I imagine you'll have your hands full if you hook a walleye with it.

You don't need short rods in most flipovers, that's old school thought of needing 18-20" rods when fishing inside. I use 32" rods in mine and my buddy's tents without issue.

I use the ice blues for dead sticking panfish  ;)
These Ice Blues that I have are far from being a noodle rod. they are medium action, stiff as a board, and as of late I have caught walleye with them. I would prefer using a rod without the backbone that these have, but caught the walleye anyway.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2020, 08:33 PM »
 I have several---they come with various actions. I tend to use medium. I like them because I fish outside and they have big guides that a resistant to clogging with ice.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.