Author Topic: Choosing the Correct Line for Ice Fishing  (Read 3818 times)

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Choosing the Correct Line for Ice Fishing
« on: Dec 17, 2019, 08:30 PM »
Thought this might be helpful to some.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Choosing the Correct Line for Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2020, 12:19 AM »
Ten plus years ago...that information would've been useful...somewhat.  As since regurgitate marketing information often misleads consumers.  Example.  Monofilament = nylons, copolymers, fluorocarbon, perlon, ester material. 

Nowadays there are much more stuff and the actual lines have subtle differences that makes a difference for some people.

Gore fiber found in Sufix 832 Advance superbraid

Ester line used in some Monofiliments or Braids.

Braids with Fluororcarbon cores...

Fireline...which has always been a braid, thermal fused to a single line, but when worn out...will separate back into a loosely braided line.

The answer is not always so simple as which line is best, but which rod used on.  Much as the saying that braid on a noodle rod changes the effect of how one uses that noodle rod.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2020, 08:11 PM »
In my experience when ice fishing there is a big difference between thermal fused and woven braid, as he explained. Never really considered what a line was when it is worn out as all lines change when they are worn out and I change my line regularly.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2020, 10:10 AM »
I use sufix 832 for open and ice fishing, I havent run into any issues with it.

I really like the line and it's been good to me.

I use flouro or regular mono for leader. Flouro if I know there isn't s crazy structure around, mono for when a fish might take my line somewhere I dont want it to go.

Flouro primarily for ice though, weight depends on what fish I'm targeting
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.