Author Topic: BEST OR WORST ICE AUGER REVIEWS  (Read 29328 times)

Offline TylerThomson

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: BEST OR WORST ICE AUGER REVIEWS
« Reply #60 on: Feb 03, 2019, 11:39 PM »
Really think the elec augers have come a long was since the first ions,to be honest I wasn't blown away by a friends ion when he bought it new several yrs ago but the strikemaster 40v is sure looking good.I chatted with a guy who ownsm the SM 40v and said his battery was done after sitting a yr and you are suppose to charge them often ,even when not in use.

The thing I like is the no gas smell,the wife always says,you wreak like gas after I return home from fishing,I didn't even eat beans either.I am planning a new ice shack and want to build it to sleep 2 min,I can't imagine climbing into a bed that has been gassed a 100 times from an auger.

Well if your friend had read the instructions on the auger he would know not to store the battery with a full charge,   this isn't a lead acid battery.   There is a reason consumer electronics that come with lithium batteries come with only half or so a charge.   Never charge a lithium battery that isn't in use,  never use a dumb charger on the battery,  in general forget everything you thought you knew about batteries of your only experience is with lead acid.

Like I said earlier I'm on my 4th year with my lithium lazer, no noticeable decline in performance with the battery and if there ever is these packs are easy to rebuild and much cheaper than buying a new battery.

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Well said by someone that has never owned one  ;)
I don't know of anyone that made the switch and wanted to go back.  Me included.  No warm up no mess.  Instant hole.  I've drilled as many as 25 holes in a day and still on 2 ticks on one battery.  It really cannot be more simple.

As far as I'm concerned, the argument ender:

https://youtu.be/1qlnSbagaak

Give at least the part where Aaron uses the SM40 in -37C.  End of story.

By the way, Aaron on Uncut really is the best.  I just watched the entire video.  It is a new one.  And, I think I need to arrange for an ice fishing day on Aaron's level. Crazy amount of equipment but really a different way to spend an ice fishing day.  On a cold weekend like this, gets me warmed up and thinking about heading out....almost haha.  Enjoy!

Oh I came close to getting one when it was time to look at something newer in a ten inch and have no regrets the route I went.  If you read my post you would have seen where I said I wouldn't mind getting an electric down the road but there is still times on certain trips I knew I would prefer a gas.  That was end of story for me but not everyone is the same and there is a reason the electrics are selling so well.  It would have to be the strikemaster though.  One, it would fit the current flighting and two, I had an opportunity to try the ion ten inch again the other day and that just would not do in the late season where your putting an extension on.  Even right now, with less ice, and your used to a fast auger it's hard to see the benefit in one that's maybe half as fast.

I like Uncut's Videos and catch them pretty quick when they come out, and this isn't the first one where he praises the electric.  But the thing is it's not an "end of story" or "argument ender" because the argument is only there if you want to make it one.  It's a more a matter of personal preference and thinking for yourself.  There's been points brought up for why one might want to get one or the other.  I know I'm happy, you and others with new electrics appear happy.  Good stuff. 

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #62 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:58 AM »
I didn't watch but the first 6 seconds.  When a fish vid starts off with something of a horse on head on a guy in a sleeping bag like that, just not my style.  Hard to take the vid serious. 
wish you many hook-ups

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:10 PM »

Oh I came close to getting one when it was time to look at something newer in a ten inch and have no regrets the route I went.  If you read my post you would have seen where I said I wouldn't mind getting an electric down the road but there is still times on certain trips I knew I would prefer a gas.  That was end of story for me but not everyone is the same and there is a reason the electrics are selling so well.  It would have to be the strikemaster though.  One, it would fit the current flighting and two, I had an opportunity to try the ion ten inch again the other day and that just would not do in the late season where your putting an extension on.  Even right now, with less ice, and your used to a fast auger it's hard to see the benefit in one that's maybe half as fast.

I like Uncut's Videos and catch them pretty quick when they come out, and this isn't the first one where he praises the electric.  But the thing is it's not an "end of story" or "argument ender" because the argument is only there if you want to make it one.  It's a more a matter of personal preference and thinking for yourself.  There's been points brought up for why one might want to get one or the other.  I know I'm happy, you and others with new electrics appear happy.  Good stuff. 

For sure.  All good.  I've seen Aaron use it late season in over 3 feet of ice.  Looks pretty much as fast as any other 10 inch I've used.   I'm converted. :)

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:14 PM »
I didn't watch but the first 6 seconds.  When a fish vid starts off with something of a horse on head on a guy in a sleeping bag like that, just not my style.  Hard to take the vid serious.

Your loss.   

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:30 PM »

Maybe skip ahead then, some pretty amazing fishing after that.

Offline TylerThomson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:50 PM »

You really wouldn't like that new fangled rock music that's out now then either,  I think it's called the beetles or some such.   

Lighten up, the guy puts out amazing content and likes to have some fun.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #67 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:17 PM »
Just not for me. 
wish you many hook-ups

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 04, 2019, 04:20 PM »

NOW THIS IS DUMB!

He does put to bed the speculation that an elec auger won't run in the cold though.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #69 on: Feb 04, 2019, 04:37 PM »
Did not even click on it.  If you start allowing and accepting this kind of stuff, that is what it will evolve into for the future.  Starts off simple and not so offensive then it turns dumber, vile and gross.  Other vid makers will see that those got more up votes or more clicks and will follow suit.

Promote and endorse this junk if you like.  I won't.

wish you many hook-ups

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:11 PM »
Again, your loss. In my opinion he's got the highest quality fishing videos on YouTube for educational content. He's a little goofy, but it works for him. Try these two videos and tell me that they aren't great content:

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:12 PM »
Did not even click on it.  If you start allowing and accepting this kind of stuff, that is what it will evolve into for the future.  Starts off simple and not so offensive then it turns dumber, vile and gross.  Other vid makers will see that those got more up votes or more clicks and will follow suit.

Promote and endorse this junk if you like.  I won't.

LOL!!!!!
I wonder what you think of Marilyn Manson...  ::)
How about some King Diamond on vinyl  ;D

Anyways, how about them augers gents!  Aren't they great.  And, they are not the tools of the devil as others might think.  We are only drilling through ice and not straight into the pits of hell.  Though I remember reading something about when hell freezers over...or something like this.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:13 PM »
Again, your loss. In my opinion he's got the highest quality fishing videos on YouTube for educational content. He's a little goofy, but it works for him. Try these two videos and tell me that they aren't great content:

Amen!

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #73 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:14 PM »
You guys!  I'm such a square, huh?
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #74 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:39 PM »
LOL!!!!!
I wonder what you think of Marilyn Manson...  ::)
How about some King Diamond on vinyl  ;D

Anyways, how about them augers gents!  Aren't they great.  And, they are not the tools of the devil as others might think.  We are only drilling through ice and not straight into the pits of hell.  Though I remember reading something about when hell freezers over...or something like this.

Holy mackerel!  I just Google those two. 

Yeah those augers are great.  Holy Mackerel tho!

I get pretty wild too.  Check the pic out.  With real Rum guys!

Then my hot sauce.  Drool yourself.  I made those labels myself.  I know it looks totally pro, but that's how I roll.

wish you many hook-ups

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 04, 2019, 06:21 PM »
 I tracked down a  Strikemaster 40v ,it seems everyone is sold out? I will give my opinion of it when I can but a quick google search will put you onto endless vids praising this unit.As I mentioned in other posts I tried a friends 43cc eskimo 10" mako and loved it so we will see how it cuts in comparison.

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 04, 2019, 06:23 PM »
 there isn't much love for the newer jiffys that's for sure

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Feb 06, 2019, 09:53 AM »
I tracked down a  Strikemaster 40v ,it seems everyone is sold out? I will give my opinion of it when I can but a quick google search will put you onto endless vids praising this unit.As I mentioned in other posts I tried a friends 43cc eskimo 10" mako and loved it so we will see how it cuts in comparison.

Saw one at Bass on Monday,  also I think they had one at Can Tire in the Deerfoot mall.  Worth a few phone calls to find out

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 08, 2019, 10:23 PM »

Do yourself a favour and watch his videos

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:28 PM »

Ok so we bought this ice Auger and I am under no sort of arrangement with Rapala or Strikemaster at the time.  What you see is what you get and my absolutely shocked and honest opinion of this new electric ice auger.  I really was hesitant about the products and still the only thing I can see that may be an issue is the battery life.  But if you have spare batteries it is like having extra gas, so drill away.  At some point I'll to a max hole drill test.
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Nice vid Brandon! 
Was that 8 or 10 inch?

Offline albertaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:08 AM »
Really enjoyed the whitefish video. I noticed the whitefish behaviour of biting the swivel on Gull lake bout 5 years ago and decided to tie wireworms above my bell. Success.  Albertaboy

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:30 PM »
Im a huge fan of electric everything!  Unfortunatly the price has gotten out of hand. That being said i did drop a grand to get a husquvarna a few years back(10). Best money ive ever spent. Quiet, reliable, no fumes , can carry the head fully fueled in the cab. Worth every penny. Have to say to these guys drilling a hundred holes thats ridiculous! It creates weak ice for the next vehicle who happens that way. Not to mention youre spending all your time drilling instead of fishing. Relax thats what fishing is relaxing !
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline madatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Feb 22, 2019, 08:56 AM »
I bit the bullet and ordered a Ion X......729 on line at Fishing Hole for the 10"
To the point in life where I hate pulling a bunch before fishing.
Ill get the Eskimo running well and sell it next year.

I dont drill a 100 holes a day....
I can afford a new battery in 5 years if thats what it takes.
And the lite weight of electric is handy when walking across a lake to fish.

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 22, 2019, 10:37 AM »
Good point Mad hatter. Weight is an issue especially as we age. My husky is only a few lbs. fueled. The Ion is close the one I used was awesome and easily carried. As for the 100 hole fellas if you fish each hole for ten minutes that means in a 7 hour day(typical for dark days of winter) that means you are only fishing 42 of the 100 holes. So you are drilling 58 holes that aren't needed and that doesn't account for the time spent drilling those holes.The most I drill is a dozen with five being the norm. Its where you put those holes that counts. Fish move and they also stop biting for times during the day so it doesn't matter where you are if they're not biting more holes wont change that. tight lines!
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Feb 22, 2019, 11:50 AM »
Good point Mad hatter. Weight is an issue especially as we age. My husky is only a few lbs. fueled. The Ion is close the one I used was awesome and easily carried. As for the 100 hole fellas if you fish each hole for ten minutes that means in a 7 hour day(typical for dark days of winter) that means you are only fishing 42 of the 100 holes. So you are drilling 58 holes that aren't needed and that doesn't account for the time spent drilling those holes.The most I drill is a dozen with five being the norm. Its where you put those holes that counts. Fish move and they also stop biting for times during the day so it doesn't matter where you are if they're not biting more holes wont change that. tight lines!

So if you fish a new lake you know exactly where the fish are? I don't think I've ever drilled 100 holes in a day but have done 30-50 when hole hopping.  Just because fish stopped biting in one spot doesn't mean they aren't biting in another.

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Feb 24, 2019, 09:45 AM »
No i dont know exactly where the fish are on a new lake but all lakes have familiar features that usually attract fish.  Once i locate fish i stay put gecause fish are in the area. Yes fish may be feeding in another area but whos to say you' ll get there when thats happening? All Im saying is I'm content to wait it out for the fish to turn on again in my location. I dont need to catch dozens of fish to have a successful day. Not saying it isnt fun and i usually do very well, just dont have a bad day fishing ever! Even skunked! Tight lines!
Clark Gable

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Feb 24, 2019, 09:54 AM »

Couldn't agree more.  There is a tool on the AO board who disses electrics because he thinks you can't drill through 4 feet of ice (ya right...) and drills 100 holes...(ya right x 2).  For me, a big day of drilling holes is maybe 20 tops.  On average I'm maybe a half dozen.  If I'm drilling 20 I'm usually on a new lake or area and trying to figure it out.  I'm sure there are people that drill a 100 holes but I like you estimation of actual time fishing them.  Really a waste of a day if you are drilling that much. 

Offline madatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:24 PM »
Just got my Ion X unpacked.

And the blades from my Eskimo Z71 look identical to blades on the ION.
They are both under the Ardisan name....
I will have to put some on the ION to see,the Eskimo blades are alot cheaper thats for sure.
Looking forward to seeing the ION in action in a couple days.

Offline madatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Feb 28, 2019, 10:49 AM »
Got out with the Ion X this am.
Few observations
Love not pulling.
Ion is definitely slower than the Z71,and seems to be having an issue part way thru hole...and doesnt want to cut.
I seem to need to put a fair bit of pressure on it to cut,which is odd.
Play around with it a bit.
20 holes or so and still 3 bars on battery...so battery life will not be an issue for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.