Author Topic: Dead sticking soft plastics  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Dead sticking soft plastics
« on: Dec 28, 2015, 02:12 PM »
Just curious what some of you other guys use on your dead stick.  I normally fish for big lake trout and dead sticking for those guys is pretty easy.  I normally use a 4 inch tube jig tipped with some whitefish, pretty idiot proof.  My question is what's everyone's favorite soft plastic to dead stick without using bait.  I am going to be targeting rainbows and char and the lake I will be fishing you are not allowed to use bait just artificials. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Dead sticking soft plastics
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2015, 02:22 PM »
can you use powerbait ?   

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2015, 06:30 PM »
No power bait or scents of any kind. 

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2015, 08:20 PM »
I would suggest maybe a rubber worn. I'm just not sure if there are any without some type of scent in them.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2015, 08:53 PM »
Why dead stick? Just jig with something flashy, bows will hit anything moving or flashy.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2015, 02:57 AM »
In Alaska
Why dead stick? Just jig with something flashy, bows will hit anything moving or flashy.
In Alaska we are allowed only 2 lines through the ice so generally I will jig with one rod and DS another several yards away.  I do this to help cover water and catch those less aggressive biters.  I'm mainly just curious if any of you southern boys have a go to when it comes to motionless soft plastics with no bait.  I have not thought about rubber worms do you let them sit on the bottom or do you suspend them?  Thanks for the replys.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2015, 09:51 AM »
The problem is that all plastics are scented now. Otherwise i would suggest gulp mini earthworms and the regular earthworms, trout love them. Suspend where the trout are, bottom, mid, or just under the ice.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2016, 11:29 PM »
I dead sticked  a pink trout magnet and picked up two 18" bows this year with homemade jaw jacker they were the only fish I caught all day

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2016, 02:10 AM »
I deadstick those Northland mimic minnows.  Well jigging them and when lazy just deadstick them.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2016, 01:36 PM »
OP is talking deadstick for BIG lakers which is a far cry from the small bows a number of guys are replying about.   Senko worm is an interesting option, as you always hear about finding lakers with tonnes of old bass plastics in their stomachs if on a lake that has both species. I would think it would need to be near/on bottom to work, but you could try suspended as well. Around here it is usually a big tube jig or paddle tail swimbait on the deadstick. Scents really haven't found their way into swimbaits yet, so you could give them a go. You could also try upsizing to some of the 6-10" musky swimbaits that are out there and see if the trout like that more than the 4"

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2016, 04:47 PM »
OP is talking deadstick for BIG lakers which is a far cry from the small bows a number of guys are replying about.   Senko worm is an interesting option, as you always hear about finding lakers with tonnes of old bass plastics in their stomachs if on a lake that has both species. I would think it would need to be near/on bottom to work, but you could try suspended as well. Around here it is usually a big tube jig or paddle tail swimbait on the deadstick. Scents really haven't found their way into swimbaits yet, so you could give them a go. You could also try upsizing to some of the 6-10" musky swimbaits that are out there and see if the trout like that more than the 4"
Thanks for the reply I am actually talking about bows and char.  I got the lakers figured out I'm just having trouble figuring out a good universal plastic that will produce on a dead stick.  I've also been tooling around with maybe a marabou jig but I've had no luck so far, maybe my colors are off.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2016, 07:16 PM »

A 10" musky lure might be too big for a rainbow... Just saying...
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2016, 01:51 PM »
LOL, well played Kevin23. I totally spaced by the end of the OP and missed the switch in species!  Don't I have egg on my face now.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2016, 04:54 PM »
for rainbows on a deadstick without bait? i'd ditch the plastics altogether and rig a #4 or #6 woolly bugger on a drop-shot rig. that'll mimic just about anything the trout are interested in eating, catch their eye from yards away, and be way more durable than a similar sized plastic body.

Offline Cbass123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2016, 11:55 AM »
Are you able to use a self jigging tip-up like the windlass?  Adding a little movement to your artificial might be a big help. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.