The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Warden informants?  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Jessechop

• Team IceShanty Regular
Warden informants?
« on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:12 PM »
Something odd happened today, and the more I think about it the more I think something is fishy...pun intended

Fishing on the FRC today where my shack is . It is derby weekend so warden present is a known. So we are sitting in the shack and I see a elderly lady coming down the lake on ice skates. She stops and talks to a party behind us. I didnt think nothing of it. She skates up to the shack and looks around for us. Makes eye contact with me and says hi and skates off. She goes to the next party, and stops and talks to them. She did this until I lost sight of her.

About 30 minutes later she was coming back and we were out checking a trap so she stopped. Asked us our names, where we were from, any luck, etc. Then she asked how many traps do you use. I told her 4 traps and one jig pole since the law is five lines in the water per person. And that was that and she was gone

About 45 minutes after that two wardens come by the shack, never stopped, never even looked sideways and went up 2 parties past us and stopped. I didnt think nothing of it at the time. I did find it odd the wardens didnt stop in, but that was that. Now that I think about it I am really wondering if that lady was running a sting/informant deal for them. Anyone heard of such a thing?

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Warden informants?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:23 PM »
jESSE,  stop wasting your fishing time wondering what someone else is doing....obey the laws and for gods sake FISH .
I am haunted by waters...

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:25 PM »
That's funny. I was checking traps today when I hear a sled coming. Didn't think anything of it and continued on my way. The sled kept getting closer and closer till it was about 50 yards from my furthest trap up lake, slows right down turns and runs parallel to ours traps then just turns and goes back the way it came. Bout half hour 45 minutes later here comes our local friendly GW. We wernt breaking any laws and he just chatted it up with us for awhile then slipped back in the woods and he was gone.
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:32 PM »
Last week,a fellow set up midway on a small lake I fish ( 9 acres) he had one pole,( we are allowed two ).As I passed him I noticed his lack of gear compared to the normal ice fisherman.He never pulled his line to check his bait,he never touched his fishing pole the whole time he was there.
   All he did was set at a distance,watching everyone and occasionally texting on his phone.The following day,I went to the same lake,passing several others fishing in a known hot spot.I went several hundred yards to an isolated point.I caught my limit within a couple hours,packed my gear and walked over to the othe group.No sooner had I approached them,I noticed a warden walking from where I had been.He was the same fellow fishing by himself the day before.He had complete camo,and a pack seat strapped to his back.he had been sitting under a pine tree hidden from view,watching me.
   He checked everyone but me,( he saw I was following the law I guess).As he left walking toward the parking lot,another warden came sneaking out of the brush above the group of fishermen.I would not doubt anything ,and I really don't care as long as they don't act like butt holes.These never bothered anyone,I heard they were after a group of 4 fellows who were taking over the limit and going lake to lake after they limited.

Offline sebagosalmo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:48 PM »
They are Wardens and there job is to protect fish and game . They have been known to be tricky

I know for a fact this year on Sebago 2 Wardens are acting like fishermen walking out setting up a portable shack and glass fisherman from inside . They did this to my boy this year , my son talked to them the first day they went out, and the fiowolling day the same Wardens  checked him in uniform ! My Son then says to the two Wardens , you guys were the fisherman that were here yesterday . The Wardens smiled and admitted that they were undercover the day before. So my son says you want to check my fish , the Wardens say no we watched you and your friends do everything legal the day before. My son says well I saved this fish that a 32 inch laker spit out to show my Dad because I don't know what it is , the Wardens look at the fish and tell my son it's a Elwive and its ileagle to posses ! My son says I didn't know that elwives got to 10- 12 inches long and that his Dad is good friends with the head biologist for southern Me and that he saved it only for study purpose due to concern of the fishery resource . The Wardens ask my Son what's your Dads name , my son tells them, and they both say we know your Dad but don't keep elwives anymore gave him a warning and told my son that elwives are also ileagle to use as bait .

I guess the point is Wardens do there job by any means available to them , weather it be spying undercover as fisherman or in uniform or even useing informants . If fisherman are true sportsman they fish within the confines of the law and the Wardens treat sportsman accordingly from my experiences  ;)2

Offline mainer62

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:52 PM »
I had some similar experiences with them, but the ones I have dealt with so far have been alright. I only keep fish once in a while and try to make sure I'm obeying all the laws, so I don't worry too much when I see them, but it can be a hassle just because they ask so many questions. I just figure if they spent too much time paying attention to me, they wasted part of a day... but I guess I wouldn't be upset if they had spent that time catching someone who was actually doing something wrong, like way over limit or something, that what my license fee goes towards, anyway. I don't really care, as long as they're not jerks for no reason. I'd like to see them catch the SOBs leaving beer cans on the lake!

Offline younglogger2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2015, 05:35 AM »
don't you watch northwoods law??

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:53 AM »
jESSE,  stop wasting your fishing time wondering what someone else is doing....obey the laws and for gods sake FISH .

This.

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:52 AM »
Summer time I had a boat full come up behind us like they were trying to get in our lines. I was screaming and hollering at them and noticed no one had a pole. They boarded that day for a while no tickets just the olé horn talk. But to run up on a guy with lines out I thought it was ignorant

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2015, 09:39 AM »
When I sold my coroplast shack several years back, I sold it to either a boarder patrol or game warden.  All I know is that he
was planning on putting it out on Maine/New Brunswick waters and he wasn't no ice fisherman.  Look at the picture of the shack.
Not very visible being mostly white....

MD

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2015, 10:26 AM »
Good, they are doing their job.  Ok with me I break no laws, so I will not be a victim.  I
catch my limit and then leave.

Offline JMS42687

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2015, 05:52 PM »
Most of the wardens I've met were good guys. I'm family with a warden so I admit I'm a little biased. I see the dedication and hard work he puts in to doing his job well.  They have a job to do and they utilize any method to catch people breaking the law. Normally they get information from people who witness someone breaking the law. Rarely do they send people out to spy...I'd be more inclined to think the skating incident was merely a coincidence but anythings possible.

They do fish undercover very often. It's amazing though how often people knowingly break the law...fishing too many traps, keeping undersized fish, fishing without a license, and leaving traps unattended.

Best rule is to be 100% honest if you get caught while violating the law, it goes a long way with most wardens. They're so used to being lied too that being honest will often get you a warning instead of a summons.

Know the laws and don't break them, it's not worth it. 

Offline allagashking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:59 PM »
So what did the wardens expect you to do with the bait the laker spit out, kick it back down the hole?Whould'nt that be illegal introduction of evasive species !!! Just saying.   Arnie
arnie may your bait allways be under the ice.

Offline Fin Reaper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Expect the unexspected"
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:43 PM »
     The lady on the ski's was probably just a busybody.  Warden(s) just need a good perch and a spotting scope.  Know what kind of fish you caught, size, what kind of beer your drinking, etc.  Yup.  They have a job to do and some are better than others.  We all know and have seen the terds out there that ruin it for everyone else.    End

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:45 PM »
I was checked by a warden in Hancock County today. A very plesent visit,  his name was chris, forgot his last name.. a young guy. The best visit by a warden I've had, very polite, and respectful. First thing out of his mouth was "I see your sled is registered". I replied  "all legal all around sir.." the rest was shooting  the sh!+ for a bit..
Never had a bad run in with the law, after watching north woods  law, was wondering  if they have changed at all.. only if your  doing something you shouldn't be I guess..even had a beer going, said nothing about it..
 :) :thumbsup:
thanks ifw

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:51 PM »
Happens alot around here on open water. I fish an area known for lawbreakers and every once n a while youll see the GW in plain clothes fishing in the middle of them. You can spot him a mile away, head is on a swivel every time a fish is caught. he always gives me that "shh... dont bust me" look when he walks past. Always gets someone too, usually standing right next to him.. should see their eyes when the badge comes out of his pocket and a gun from his plano box.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2015, 02:50 AM »
And then again,Game Wardens certainly do not do thier jobs for the lucrative pay check!
They generally love the outdoors,and spend thier spare time hunting and/or fishing!
That said,law enforcement officers are just that 24/7 and swore an oath to that.
If you get caught by a plain clothes officer,there is a good chance you ruined his day by breaking the law and making him stop what he enjoys to deal with you!
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline limington tim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If you drill it they will come !
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2015, 07:36 AM »
  I had the chance to meet G W Rick La flame last ice fishing season (before he got the desk job) and I have got to tell you...He was just one of the guys that loves what he is doing. We joked about north woods law with him, he answered some hunting/fishing questions we had, just an all around nice guy. I kind of wished he could hang out with us for the day. if all G W are like him sneaky or not then that is just alright with me. I suppose if everyone is obeying the law they will be treated the same way. Just my take on this.

Offline Just4TheBuckOfIt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2015, 10:43 AM »
  I had the chance to meet G W Rick La flame last ice fishing season (before he got the desk job) and I have got to tell you...He was just one of the guys that loves what he is doing. We joked about north woods law with him, he answered some hunting/fishing questions we had, just an all around nice guy. I kind of wished he could hang out with us for the day. if all G W are like him sneaky or not then that is just alright with me. I suppose if everyone is obeying the law they will be treated the same way. Just my take on this.

I agree with Tim. Most game wardens you talk to are pretty nice guys that love the outdoors. If your getting a ticket from one, it probably means you deserve it. Like everyone else is saying on this thread, don't break the laws and you have nothing to worry about.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2015, 12:54 PM »
if they ever put a guy in a lund fishing infront of the songo spotting for poachers.....oh wait, they already do that  ;) sticks right out in the crowd with that big lifejacket ;D

Offline paperchhound

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE FISHING IS A SICKNESS
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:07 PM »
That's nice
VEXLIAR  $450.00 STRIKEMASTER ICE AUGER $400.00 CLAM ICE HOUSE $250.00  STCROIX JIG RODS $100.00  HEATER FOR ICE HOUSE $75.00 PAIL OF SLOB PERCH PRICELESS

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2015, 02:35 PM »
My wife might have had a visit with one of those green Lunds!
Camera crew and all!
Seems she didn't have her life preserver in the pedal boat with her!
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2015, 02:37 PM »
Couldn't be, wardens can't skate. It will mess up their make-up for the show.
Steve

Offline jamison1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2015, 02:41 PM »
I talked to a warden and he said that he would never be on that show! just bc of the wardens that are on the show their heads have gotte way to big... that pretty sad coming from another warden!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.