The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: whalom lake lunemburg Mass  (Read 2802 times)

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
whalom lake lunemburg Mass
« on: Dec 07, 2005, 01:55 PM »
has anyone seen this lake yet and is it have any ice yet i might check it out this week if i do ill post and if anyone has seen it could u past the info to me
                                         THANKS ALOT

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
Re: whalom lake lunemburg Mass
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2005, 03:34 PM »
Comet ponds aswell...    ice should be near!!   cold tepms are here, and dropping!!
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Offline mag minnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2005, 06:24 PM »

Guys,
  Save yourself the trip to Lunenburg. No ice on Whalom, just ducks...Look for smaller(shallower) farm ponds maybe. That's my plan
 this week. Scouting only though...

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2005, 08:12 PM »
thanks mag i guess thats good because the snow would ruin any thing we got did you see it if so there was no ice at all??? that was the first trip last year and it had 3-5" on it if you find any pond with safe ice and wouldn't mind posting or sending me a PM it would be great  THANKS

Offline mag minnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2005, 05:30 PM »

Bassboy,
  I'll keep an eye on Whalom, and hope to post results soon. Earliest ice within ~45mins for me will most likely be out by Fitzwilliam NH.
 I look for <20ft of water. Got the first keeper striper last year between my friends and I and want to get the first fish through the ice too!

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2005, 06:38 PM »
hey mag if you go scouting and you go near ayer and if u know were blue northern is you should check the pond out in back of there someone told me there should be at least 3" on it and there are some giant picks in there i want to check it myself soon the guy told me sometime you can get on it and allot of the other lakes are just stating to get over an inch of ice

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2005, 03:01 PM »
went by today and the whole lake had at least a skim coat of ice NO SNOW ON THE ICE!!!!!!!!!!! seagull were standing on it wish i was the same weight :D :D :D :D last year 2 days after X-mas the middle was still open now the whole thing is skimmed and that is a good size lake too so the small ponds should be good ;) ;) ;)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2005, 08:12 PM »
Bassboy,

What are you cathing in Whalom? Is it still stocked with rainbows? Are they still planting tiger trout in Mass?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2005, 08:28 PM »
Bassboy,

What are you cathing in Whalom? Is it still stocked with rainbows? Are they still planting tiger trout in Mass?

they stock it every spring and fall with rainbows and browns last dec. they stocked salmon and then u got the bass pickral perch crappie and sunfish this spring i caught 9 rainbowsin 3 hours with powerbait right after ice out had a 3lber in my hands but i droped it and it went back in the lake >:(

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2005, 01:44 PM »
Bassboy,

Thanks for the reply. Haven't been back to Mass in a couple of years, but will be coming back out in June for a couple of days. Proabably leave the boat in Indiana and fish Area 3 of Quabbin with a rented boat. Nice and peaceful. No idiots on jetskis, or so many people you swear you're in a carnival.

Also Mirror at Devens, Fort Pond, and Spectacle Pond.  Have a friend in Ayer that has two boats. Caught some big fat bluegills (sunfish) on Whalom several years ago. They are a big deal here in Indiana. Iive noticed most of you folks consider them trash fish.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2005, 03:08 PM »
hey taxidermist1

ya the quabbin is realy nice so peacful and yes alot of people around here dont like bluegills (sunfish)  but i like them alot if your having a slow day then they are always there and ready to bite also they are a good bait fish in alot of waters for the bass and pickral and i love to catch 1lb+ bluegills its a blast on 2-4 lb test and UL rods and reels

Offline mag minnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2005, 06:25 PM »

Bassboy:

Thanks for the tip...

I take 2A home from work and see people fishing out by a bridge? on the other side of the pond behind Blue Northern. Never saw
 anyone on the ice though. I'll give it a shot this season.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2005, 07:17 PM »
Bassboy,

Ever fish for them with a fly rod when they are bedding? Now that's a blast.

I do fish for trout also. Caught some nice browns in Old Fort Pond a few years ago on a downrigger and smaller browns on Mirror. Also did pretty good on South Pond farther south for night time browns and some really nice crappies (calico bass). Marked some really large fish in South one day that I believe were large northerns.

I raise trout on my property to sell to other taxidermists for mounting for their showrooms, competitions, and taxidermy schools along with yellow perch, largemouth bass and bluegills.

Biggest trout so far from the trout pond on the property are

Brook trout 21 1/2 inches 6 lbs. 4 oz.
Brown Trout 11 lbs. 12 oz.
Rainbow Trout 9 lbs. 9 oz.

Pics are on my website at http://www.ligtel.com/~jjbaird/bairdfish2.htm

I don't fish public waters aroundhere much anymore. Too much fun on the property and I don't like the crowds. But I do enjoy fishing in New England on the quieter ponds.

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2005, 12:23 AM »
aynone check the ice at whalom this week, thinking about going out wednesday, looking somewhere to go near fitchburg wa hoping the ice was safe on whalom but I dont reallly have time to check myself, any help appreciated.

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2005, 03:04 PM »
its 32 degrees here in Fitchburg and there was 7-8" of ice on whalom on wensday has anyone been by it or checked out the ice today and will it be good for tmro in thinking the bite will be good because the storm coming in

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.