Author Topic: Brave souls!  (Read 10978 times)

Offline Gill Gitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good friends -- Great times
Re: Brave souls!
« Reply #30 on: Dec 12, 2011, 04:39 PM »
free country it is and every individual has their limits to what they are willing to accept. for me it could be 3 in. for another it may be 1 1/2in. the thing we all have to remember is know your limits and follow the rules of never fish alone, have a rope ready, and a flotation device avaliable. i personally know 2 of these guys and they have families that they intend to make it back to and know they followed those rules. now i know we all have opinions and mine is they took a chance THEY were willing to take and are not wrong for that. does that mean anyone else should do what they did? yes, as long as they are adults and know the consequences. we all make choices in life and those are our own. please to those that don't take the extra effort to follow the safety rules to have a chance to save someone or vice versa make it a point to do that this year. good luck to all this year

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:03 PM »
Sooooooooo  did anybody hit the gardens today?

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #32 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:09 PM »
I did,,got all the cages put away and the tomatoe plants pulled.. JT

Offline Ice Sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I would have waited.......
« Reply #33 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:13 PM »
LOL mine has not needed any attention for a while!

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:15 PM »

Atta boy Hoosier. Sounds like you got more done than they did on Sunday.... ;)
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Offline fasttimeracing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:21 PM »
Ok the way I see it is that there are just a lot of maybe careing ice shanty members and that's cool. Tell u what guys I knew what I was getting into. Dumb as it may have been we all had things in place to help get some out.also change of clothes and towel and blankets in the truck. I caught one small small gill and that kinda made my month. Thank u all for careing so much. See u all on thicker ice  ;D  :whistle:

Offline rcjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:39 PM »
Ok the way I see it is that there are just a lot of maybe careing ice shanty members and that's cool. Tell u what guys I knew what I was getting into. Dumb as it may have been we all had things in place to help get some out.also change of clothes and towel and blankets in the truck. I caught one small small gill and that kinda made my month. Thank u all for careing so much. See u all on thicker ice  ;D  :whistle:
good pics....you guys were close to shore in shallow water and obviously prepared so I don't see where it was any big deal. I saw people ice skating in farm fields on water as deep as that

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:07 PM »
good pics....you guys were close to shore in shallow water and obviously prepared so I don't see where it was any big deal. I saw people ice skating in farm fields on water as deep as that

Farm fields have water 8-10 ft deep?  The water they were fishing is not as shallow as many believe.   It is 4 ft deep just off the bank there and there is an 8-10 ft hole out in the middle where they are fishing.  Definitely deep enough to die in if they were not prepared, which they were.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:15 PM »
as the auger turns...

Offline scroungydog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Penguinphobic
« Reply #39 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:28 PM »
 Gentlemen.........Ther e's not one person on this site that can say they haven't "pushed the cushion" at one time or another on the ice!!! Early ice........late ice......we're all boneheads when it comes to the risk factor!! You wouldn't catch me on Hill's channel at 8:30am this morning.....would you Moe!!!! ::) ::) ;D
Penguins are not your Friends!!!!!

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #40 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:31 PM »
I aint sayin' nuthin'............because a couple of comments have me so PO'd I got to take my meds. 

Offline fasttimeracing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:36 PM »
I aint sayin' nuthin'............because a couple of comments have me so PO'd I got to take my meds.
when is Ice shanty going to get a "like " button . I would have had to click it. Too funny.

Offline philk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chasin that 12# eye
« Reply #42 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:13 PM »
It bothers me to see a quote like this and especially the "they wouldn't have drown, they know what they are doing."  it is comments and quotes like these that get people in trouble.

Netminder....Many of us on this site have years of experience on icefishing.  I myself have ice fished for 50 years. Today I was out on 2.5 inches of ice and the chance of "something" going wrong is the same amount of risk as 12".  I have walk out on 30 inches of ice and banged my head as a result of slipping. This is no different then a driver getting in a race car (Weldon) and traveling 230 mph on a race track.   That driver choose to get in that car.  I choose to step on that ice.  We both understand the risk involved in chasing a passion.  To come on to a "ice fishing" site and express that this post of being on thin ice may indicate to others a level of harm is ludicrous.   I understand were this might bother you but understand my friend that everytime you walk onto ice there is a element of risk.  I personally do not know you but if this bother you I suggest you a different and safer sport.

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
« Reply #43 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:18 PM »
I think we are all a little nuts for doing this sport to begin with. Walking on water is not natural. and is what part of the allure of the sport is. Every time we step out on the ice we feel as if we have possibly cheated death in some way. Some are willing to take that chance on thinner ice than others and that is (there, our) choice. I get a kick out of this argument every year come early ice and late ice. Just do what you do, and let everyone else do as they do.  ;D I just don't do as scroungydog does or I'll fall through. :o
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline scroungydog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Penguinphobic
« Reply #44 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:14 PM »
I think we are all a little nuts for doing this sport to begin with. Walking on water is not natural. and is what part of the allure of the sport is. Every time we step out on the ice we feel as if we have possibly cheated death in some way. Some are willing to take that chance on thinner ice than others and that is (there, our) choice. I get a kick out of this argument every year come early ice and late ice. Just do what you do, and let everyone else do as they do.  ;D I just don't do as scroungydog does or I'll fall through. :o

I'll give that one a Bark, Howl, and a Growl........you should know better than to follow this dog!!!!!!!!
Penguins are not your Friends!!!!!

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:35 PM »
Heard this quote today during school....yes, school. When I read this thread I was instantly reminded of it.

"If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live."  ---Martin Luther King, Jr.

Don't take this the wrong way or anything. I am simply making a connection. People are very passionate about various things and ice fishing is no different for some. :tipup:
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #46 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:45 PM »
NICE!!!!!!!!

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #47 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:19 PM »
I was one of the passionate ones that were on the ice yesterday.  I agree that no fish is worth dying for.  In my opinion it's all about managing the risk.  I used to ride a motorcycle, and every time I threw my leg over that GoldWing, I was taking a risk.  I made the decision that it was a risk that I was willing to take in exchange for the pleasure and enjoyment of riding.  I managed that risk to the best of my ability by taking Motorcycle Training classes, wearing a helmet every time I rode, dressing in protective clothing, and watching and learning from others to hone my skills to recognize and potential hazards and react accordingly. 

I stepped on that ice yesterday having made a decision that pursuing my passion (Ice Fishing, not a fish) was worth the risk.  I managed that risk by wearing the proper gear (Arctic Armor, ice picks, cleats) and evaluating and reacting to what I saw before, during, and after I stepped on the ice.  I went with two friends who are very experienced Ice Fishermen and are people I trust.  We had ropes, etc. in case of an accident.  We minimized the risks by staying in shallow depths and after we got a feel for conditions, we cautiously ventured out into deeper water.  I gained experience yesterday, just like I do every time I step on the ice, no matter how thick it is.

I do NOT recommend that anyone do what we did yesterday.  That is a decision that each individual should make for themselves.  As an inexperienced ice angler, I thought long and hard about the risks and managing those risks.  As an experienced ice angler I do the same. 

I DO recommend the following:
1.  Absolutely do not go alone.
2.  Only go with those you trust.
3.  Ensure you have the proper gear and experience.
4.  If you decide to take that risk, constantly evaluate and reevaluate conditions upon arrival, while on the ice, and upon coming off of the ice.
5.  If it doesn't feel right, don't do it.  No one has anything to prove to anyone else. 

Yes, no fish is worth dying for.  But for >ME<, life would be boring if I did not pursue my passions.  Life is a risk, and we must manage those risks every day. 

-SkeeterJeff

Offline fasttimeracing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:29 PM »
Ok these pics where just posted to show some people out on frist ice. We did a lot to make sure the Ice would hold us. the pic doesn't checking the ice with a spud bar. Or does it show one guy having a rope tied to him as he walks out on the ice as two guys man the  . We checked it it held us we fished it. I had a good time.

Offline leavnsorlips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 13, 2011, 12:40 AM »
I'm just surprised that there was ice darnit! Had I have known, I woulda caught a couple dinks myself!  ;D

Offline panfishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish!
« Reply #50 on: Dec 13, 2011, 03:58 AM »
I thought 5 inches was crazy... Lol
Looooooooooooove to fish, born to fish.
Let em' big suckers go!

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 13, 2011, 05:16 AM »
"SKINNY ICE"..............Never done it never will.................. ........lmmfao....cya all soon ;D

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:21 AM »
It bothers me to see a quote like this and especially the "they wouldn't have drown, they know what they are doing."  it is comments and quotes like these that get people in trouble.

Netminder....Many of us on this site have years of experience on icefishing.  I myself have ice fished for 50 years. Today I was out on 2.5 inches of ice and the chance of "something" going wrong is the same amount of risk as 12".  I have walk out on 30 inches of ice and banged my head as a result of slipping. This is no different then a driver getting in a race car (Weldon) and traveling 230 mph on a race track.   That driver choose to get in that car.  I choose to step on that ice.  We both understand the risk involved in chasing a passion.  To come on to a "ice fishing" site and express that this post of being on thin ice may indicate to others a level of harm is ludicrous.   I understand were this might bother you but understand my friend that everytime you walk onto ice there is a element of risk.  I personally do not know you but if this bother you I suggest you a different and safer sport.

I do not think that this was a ludicrous point to make to the new people to the sport that this (thin ice) is not as safe as some where making it out to be.  It is great that these guys got out and where prepared for the risk they were taking.  I have been ice fishing for about 40 years and have seen my fair share of days where I pushed the envelope.  As my training has taught me and some of the instences that have happened to those I know it needs to be said that this is not a safe practice and someone is going to push it and as it is every year there will be people that may not come back from it.  Take your risks but try to remember that others that look up to the veterans on the site will follow in thier footsteps.  All that had been asked is that everyone be safe and right know it is not very safe.  With that I will not make any more comments.  If we meet out on the ice I will be glad to talk about all the safer sports I am involved in also.

Offline JP-TKO

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • commander of team TKO!!!
« Reply #53 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:43 AM »
amen skeeter jeff!!! well said!!
i love when people say, well im markin them ,but i just cant get them to bite. im not there to fish, im there to catch!!!! can i try ur hole!!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:44 AM »
If I had a dollar for every time.....well, nevermind!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:58 AM »
Listen netminder and Crappie Killer 54, I would assume that since you are on this site that you are ice fishermen.  Every "ice head" understands that our sport has a danger factor.  And every year the members here stress it.  I cant speak for Blue, fastime, or RJ.......I was not with them.  But I can speak for myself, I didnt just wake up Sunday morning and decide to go fishing.  I had been checking my ice conditions for several days, and my 40 years of experience told me it was safe.  All precautions were taken and talked about amongst the group.  Part of me understands where you guys are coming from, but most of me doesnt like the negative comments. 

Offline mongo782

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:09 AM »
Well put rico!

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:25 AM »
"40 years of experience"

Man you are old!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Steuben1

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:47 AM »
"40 years of experience"

Man you are old!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Steuben1

I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  But I still got hair.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #59 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:57 AM »
Dont make me lock this one down. I think at this point we all know that, some agree and some disagree with the the few of us that got on ice.Let that part of this thread go and enjoy the fact that some of us did get some short ice time in and ALL went home safe.. THANKS JT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.