Author Topic: steelhead help?  (Read 1066 times)

Offline adksguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
steelhead help?
« on: Dec 04, 2011, 07:39 PM »
looking to go after some steelies had alot of people tell me to use spawn sacs want to get any other tips i could or info on :-\ where to get the sacs
good ice, good buds, and good times that's what it's all about!!

Offline stephensonswille

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: steelhead help?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2011, 03:58 PM »
I've head slammer boards work awesome while using spawn through the ice, as far as getting spawn i prefer to tie my own. I have a friend who fishes them pretty hard in the winter and he swears by swedish pimples tipped with wax worms when spawn isn't available.

Offline adksguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:16 PM »
thanks for the tip ill have to try that swedish pimple trick
good ice, good buds, and good times that's what it's all about!!

Offline steeliebob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:41 AM »
I regularly use tip ups with spawn bags 8 lb test mono #14 treble hook and just enough sinker to get it to the bottom. I also use red or orange tear drops with a wax worm or wiggler and fish about a foot off of bottom. Look for them in 2 to 10 fow off of stream mouths going into the great lakes. Set up about 30 minutes before daylight and wait for the action to start.

Offline Creektroll3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:16 PM »
I've  got them on eggsac's and skein at times but Have put more steelie's on the ice with small 1/32 or 1/64 jigs made of marabou,bucktail and flashabou. Black and white are the stand by color's tip them with maggots,waxies and minnow's. I fish them under a float about 2ft. off the bottom to start.

2009 Iceshanty Tourney Leader for Crappie

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2012, 07:50 PM »
You may wish to check with your friends and see if any of them have a bit of spawn to get you started. Earth worms/crawlers work, too.
With the mild weather I've been noticing A LOT of them on the sidewalks! They might just do the trick.
Good luck!
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.