Author Topic: 2/9/11 Split Rock report  (Read 968 times)

Offline knot2crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
2/9/11 Split Rock report
« on: Feb 09, 2011, 07:47 PM »
Baracades are still in place. As stated on 2/7/11 rockway Police said you can travel at your own risk :o. The road is very, very icey. They still have not sanded. The bridge crossing over the dam is rough and slick as well as the parking area. Iv`e got 4 Wheel drive and did OK and I attempted (as a test for a friend) to leave with only 2 wheel drive and was sliding all over on the bridge and did not think I could make it up the hill out off Split Rock Road toward green pond Road so I threw my truck back in 4 wheel dr. Fished for 1/2 day only got 5 Perch and 1 Bass all on tip up and about 4-5 other flags  ??? Certainly not equal to the price of a tow truck or parking ticket !

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 2/9/11 Split Rock report
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:45 PM »
fishgalore
Team IceShanty Regular

Re: Access to Split Rock
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2011, 02:44 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the road is a sheet of ice with salt and sand on it. Was up there today.   

They had treated the roadway up there sometime before we went as it appeared reasonably freshly salted and sanded on Saturday.  My guess by the looks of the roads condition that more salt and sand would not do the job but be a waste of time and money. Unless you put tons more than normal and I mean tons. This winter has put a hurtin on access to places like SR.

Offline Wizzofd69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard Water 2012
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:35 PM »
fishgalore
Team IceShanty Regular

Re: Access to Split Rock
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2011, 02:44 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the road is a sheet of ice with salt and sand on it. Was up there today.   

They had treated the roadway up there sometime before we went as it appeared reasonably freshly salted and sanded on Saturday.  My guess by the looks of the roads condition that more salt and sand would not do the job but be a waste of time and money. Unless you put tons more than normal and I mean tons. This winter has put a hurtin on access to places like SR.

SALT will not do a thing on ice over a half inch. You just have to wait untill it melts orr have someone drive over it 300 times in a large truck  :o

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:52 PM »
they should have just plowed it a bit better when the weather first came down.  some of the other "unimproved" roads in rockaway twp like snake hill road are perfectly passable now... icy sure, but with enough gravel sticking through to make workable.
Waiting for the ice

Offline knot2crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2011, 06:31 AM »
I forgot to mention that there was at least 9" of good dark ice from the bottom. Everthing on top was frozen solid.... ;D I did not break through walking at all ( I`m about 220 lbs. suited up) There is about 15" over-all with the frozen stuff on top. Dragging the Jet sled fully loaded with one finger. ;D ;D Even what looked like snow crust was so hard my sled did not even leave any marks. Better have some cleets !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.