Author Topic: Roy Lake  (Read 2062 times)

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
Roy Lake
« on: Dec 27, 2010, 08:30 PM »
Anyone fish Roy Lake at all?  My buddy and I were going to go to Devils in March but it is looking like that trip is going to get put on hold till next year, so now we are looking for a new place to go and Roy Lake was brought up. 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Roy Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:00 PM »
How about some specifics as to what you want to fish for as far as species.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline KingCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:38 PM »
Roy is in the heart of some pretty awesome ice fishing lakes. good place to base from and hit different lakes in NESD.

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:05 PM »
How about some specifics as to what you want to fish for as far as species.

Perch, Gills, Crappies, Walleyes.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:28 PM »
Perch and Walleye, Waubay Lake. Gills, Enemy Swim. Crappies, Pickerel Lake. Roy probably has them all, but I think the others mentioned may be better for a specific species. The last time I fished on Roy, all I caught was dink Perch, but that was years ago. Your best bet would probably be to ask at the local baitshop.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:48 PM »
I've heard of Roy Lake Resort and was thinking of taking my Son fishing there in Feb or March.  Anyone fished it lately?  Advice?  How about the resort as a place to stay.
Thanks.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2011, 09:11 PM »
The resort is a nice place to stay. Just ask Jan about the fishing while there or give her a call.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2011, 08:15 AM »
   Anyone heard anything about Pikeral,Traverse or Big Stone Ice Dawg? I am from N.E. S.D. and may be headed back home to do some visiting and hopefully fishing if the snow is not too deep.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2011, 05:05 PM »
   Anyone heard anything about Pikeral,Traverse or Big Stone Ice Dawg? I am from N.E. S.D. and may be headed back home to do some visiting and hopefully fishing if the snow is not too deep.
I listened to the fishing report from Sportsmans Cove in Webster tooday and he said it is mostly snowmobiles or ATVs with tracks getting around on the lakes due to the snow. He also said some of the larger ATVs with chains were getting around in places and some trucks were getting around on Pickerel and the North end of Waubay with much difficulty. I have heard from different people that 4x4s with chains on all wheels are spending a lot of time stuck. Since I'm an old geezer and don't want to spend my whole day shoveling, I have been spending lots of time at home being grouchy. Good luck if you try it. ;)

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2011, 05:57 AM »
   Thanks ice dawg for the info.That's what I figured. Not much you can do about mother nature. Out here all it does is blow and keep the ice thin.

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:19 AM »
Heard of a guy on Big Stone shoveling snow to find a foot of slush then drilling a hole and water shot out of the hole like a gey'ser. not a good thing.another winter shot down the tubes.
born to fish---forced to work

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:16 AM »
   Thanks ice dawg for the info.That's what I figured. Not much you can do about mother nature. Out here all it does is blow and keep the ice thin.
I was on a small slough a month or so ago and had 16" of ice under me. Now I can't get back on there to fish due to the snow on the lake and the road going to it is also plugged with snow. I think you have winds like we do, but at least it is warmer in WY. I lived in Greeley, CO for some years and didn't ice fish at all while there. This is the second year that my wheelhouse has just sat in my driveway. Year before last it spent two days on the ice before the snow got too deep to get out. About one more year of this weather and it will be sold.

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2011, 01:22 PM »
You guys have a good fishery up their.  Have been up 4 or 5 times.  The only problem is 2 years ago had to walk on the waubay wildlife refuge just to fish.  Last year did not even get to fish.  Snowed 12 inches the 1st night we were their and their was no access anywhere.  Will have a snowmobile or a 4 wheeler with tracks next time I even attempt to make it up their. 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2011, 02:13 PM »
I have been on the ice once this winter. I drove around one of my local lakes last weekend and there was one portable set up, four hardside shacks and a couple of guys were digging a hole to set up their flipover. These were the only two guys on the lake and none of the hardsides were occupied. Nothing but snowmobile tracks going onto the lake. I haven't headed for the NE lakes because I probably wouldn't have access anyway. I have a friend with a private Perch lake on his land and he said he would blow a path down to the water for me, but wouldn't take his tractor on the ice. The snow is too deep on the ice for my pickup anyway and he said there is a hard crust about four inches thick on top of the soft snow. Maybe I'll get out after we get a bit of warm windy weather.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.