Author Topic: Need ideas for a sled  (Read 1138 times)

Offline UpNorth -21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "FISH ON"
Need ideas for a sled
« on: Aug 16, 2010, 11:07 PM »
Hey guys need some help getting the imagination going to build a sled. I want to build something with a rigid mount to pull behind my snowmobile looking to make it decent sized but dont want it to be super heavy! Any ideas or pictures would be greatly appreciated looking forward to seeing what everyone else has built!
"Catch And Release into the Grease"

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Need ideas for a sled
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2010, 11:21 AM »
We're in the process of building one too, using onld lighweight metal shelving.  Lighter and more sturdy that most woods.  Just need to find some cheap used skis to mount them on.  Will post pix when we're done.

Offline UpNorth -21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "FISH ON"
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2010, 09:59 PM »
Come on fellas help me out!!

Offline Dr Dean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2010, 09:44 PM »
I built mine out of 2 matching plastic toboggon sleds and 1/2 inch conduit. I bent 6 pieces to fit inside the sleds lengthwise. Then I took 2 pieces cut to the overall width I wanted and welded the 6 bent pieces on to make a frame that fits into the sleds. After everything cooled I drilled holes in the top edge of the sleds and zip tied them to the frame. I haven't built a hitch yet but it will be made with conduit also. Precaution about welding galvanized metal: don't breathe the smoke and do the welding outside, zinc fumes are toxic.

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2010, 11:06 PM »
Just need to find some cheap used skis to mount them on.

I got 3 sets of ski's at the "Flathead Industries Thrift Store" for $5 a pair. They had like 20 pairs for $5 a pair.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2010, 12:22 PM »
I built one a few years ago, its 72"L x 26"W and 10"D. I got some thin rectangular tubing from work, it was too thin to weld so I had to pop rivet it all together then I covered it with 1/4" puck board. I built a hitch with 2" angle iron, I attached it where the front curve of the toboggan meets the flat of the bottom, this way when I'm on a bush trail I don't have to worry about hitting trees with the leading edge of the toboggan, also if I go over a tree the stronger hitch rides over and not the front of the toboggan.

After my first trip with the boggan I found some poly strips to use as runners so it didn't whip back and forth when I ride on smoother surfaces.

It has served me well for the last five seasons, I even use it to haul wood out of the bush in winter, so it has seen some heavy and hard use. But I didn't paint the metal so now its getting pretty thin.

I want a bigger toboggan now, and one change I would make if I built another one is I would like there to be skis under the toboggan bottom, I like the toboggan for the flotation in deep powder snow, but in deep slush it just all piles up in the front and stops the snowmobile, so with some skids under the toboggan it would let the slush slip under and hopefully let me get enough speed to plane up and get on top of the snow.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2010, 03:43 PM »
I'll try and take a picture. 2 downhill ski's, angle iron from a old bed frame, and a 4X4 piece of 1/2" plywood. Down hill ski's are stronger than cross country ski's they have steel inside them, took the bindings off and made some brackets to bolt the angle iron onto the ski's with round head 3/8" carriage bolts on the bottoms of the ski's to hold the brackets on, the plywood is about 18" high you can fit plenty on the sled and use bungy straps to hold stuff on, you can also sit on the sled while fishing a lot better than sitting on a bucket. I spaced the ski's apart the same distance as my snowmobile ski's so they track right in the same ski tracks as the snowmobile. I made a  hitch/tongue to attach the sled to the snowmobile out of some electrical conduit so it is solid with the snowmobile and won't smash into the back of it when you stop. Many people are surprised by how easy the sled pulls, it is easier to pull than the big plastic type sleds. I hope this helps.

Offline UpNorth -21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "FISH ON"
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2010, 10:11 PM »
Hey thanks for the info try to throw in some pics if ya can. I work H.V.A.C and do lots of fabricating and welding of galvanized metal the last thing you wanna do is breath in those fumes bad bad news!!

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2010, 04:22 AM »
Hey Upnorth, have you had a chance to check out Michiana's golf bag sled on the equipment page ? That guys got it going on, when it comes to fabricating sleds and other cool ice fishing gear and gadgets !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.