Author Topic: Walleye cheeks  (Read 29131 times)

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Walleye cheeks
« Reply #30 on: Dec 26, 2005, 02:05 AM »
rgfixit is right on! feeding the cheeks to the cats is like feeding the tenderloins of my deer to the dog, not going to happen.
           Tip up tomer well said. I personally do try and return my larger fish. But our local Game and Fish encourage people to harvest the bigger fish.
            I would like to see us have a slot limit, fish 15" to 19" and fish over 26" would be keepers and fish 20" to 26" returned. The reason being It seems like in the spring when I am pitching shallow I catch those 20" plus fish spawning. 

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2005, 02:49 PM »
All you have to do is cut them out and you can just peel the skin off with your fingers.

No need to take the skin off.  There's no scales on the cheeks.  So with the cheek skin being the most tender skin and the cheek meat being the most chewy meat, it's all about the same texture.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #32 on: Dec 29, 2005, 03:29 PM »
But they look so purdy with the skin off...LOL.
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline qflies001

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:53 PM »
Yummi thats the prime rib of walleye............... ...................... ................tha best

Offline Jim111

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Central VT
« Reply #34 on: Feb 11, 2006, 06:37 PM »
I like walleye cheeks too. They are a bit of a pain to get out, but if I kept more, I'd probably be better at it. I'd advise not feeding raw fish to cats or dogs though, as they can get roundworms from them (and then pass them on to YOU). Found this out the hard way, years ago!  -Jim

Offline WALLYWHACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Work is for days I don't fish!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 11, 2006, 08:43 PM »
I'm with Otis ;)

Offline perchwisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 07, 2006, 07:40 PM »
For those that do keep larger walleye,try slicing the fillet down to small fillets width wise.Im a firm believer that if you bleed your fish out and slice them down in width and them bread them or what ever you do with them they taste awhole alot better.I also freeze my walleye in water making sure there is no air in the zip lock bag.Frost makes them taste crappy too.The cheeks are my favorite too.Try my suggestions and see for your self.

Perchwisher

Offline jdjyoung

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get the gaf, I'm catching this one!
« Reply #37 on: Mar 11, 2006, 04:47 PM »
 Did a deep fry just last night of walleye"s. Tossed the cheeks in first, definately the best tasting part!,plus it gives you something to munch on while the other filet"s or cooking.

JD
" I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day at work anytime!"

Offline Greenback Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Mar 13, 2006, 07:01 PM »
Walleye cheeks up here in wpg are a delcacy,the best ones are from about 1-1/2 and up.
I like them with flour,salt and pepper.
ENJOY!!!!
greenback Hunter

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #39 on: Mar 23, 2006, 06:17 PM »
mmm...mmm...mmm...good eating there ;)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #40 on: Mar 23, 2006, 06:59 PM »
Wow..Im getting in this thread way late...but I love the cheeks..taste like scallops to me....sweet

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #41 on: Mar 27, 2006, 02:33 PM »
These ain't not "Girly-Man" HorsD'vores
but they are delicious ...

fried Walleye Cheeks

fried Rocky Mountain Oysters

BBQ'd deer ribs

Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline rumdrinker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Sep 03, 2006, 09:36 PM »
I have not seen a walleye big enough to cut out the cheeks, but I have had a cheek out of a halibut that was about the size of a hamburger.  That was the best fish that I have ever had!!!!  That reminds me I had better get back up to alaska to catch some more!!

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #43 on: Sep 08, 2006, 01:06 PM »
I have not seen a walleye big enough to cut out the cheeks, but I have had a cheek out of a halibut that was about the size of a hamburger.  That was the best fish that I have ever had!!!!  That reminds me I had better get back up to alaska to catch some more!!
You can get them out of a 17 inch fish. All it is, is a tiny little piece of delicious.  ;)
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline mcwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #44 on: Sep 29, 2006, 03:51 PM »
Always eat the cheeks.  Best part of a great tasting fish.  I'll fight for'em.  Mind you in my house, none of the estro units will anything that resembles fish!  Lucky me!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #45 on: Sep 29, 2006, 04:02 PM »
yum yum poor mans scallops with deer tenderloins  land and sea -surf and turf oooooh weeeee  lets eat      mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

grumpymoe

« Reply #46 on: Sep 29, 2006, 07:49 PM »
and dont forget to cut out the V behind the gill plates....one whole piece coated and deepfried....awesome piece of boneless Eye!!....Grump

Offline wallyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #47 on: Nov 11, 2006, 06:23 AM »
Grump you are the only that i ve heard does this besides me ,an easy way to get the cheecks out is to get a soup spoon sharpen the end and dig right in and they pop right out

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Nov 11, 2006, 08:06 AM »
   ...our local Game and Fish encourage people to harvest the bigger fish.
            I would like to see us have a slot limit, fish 15" to 19" and fish over 26" would be keepers and fish 20" to 26" returned.

This would mean that 28in. fish is fair game.  Nice fish, I say.  I'd prbably keep it to0..you ate it and now  others can get bigger... :)
I love a flag!!!!

Offline Meatro14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Nov 28, 2006, 06:53 PM »
the cheeks are an excellent source of finger food to munch on

Offline iceturd

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #50 on: Dec 01, 2006, 09:57 PM »
Oh yeah, love those wally cheeks! only 1 little problem at my house, the wife usually targets them when shes fryin up a mess of filet-o-eyes!    GOOD FISHIN!

Offline Shrek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 08, 2006, 05:22 PM »
Oh no here we go with the cheeks again ::), wish I could catch enough 28 - 30 inchers to make a meal of cheeks :D In the mean time I'll have to make do with my 18 - 20 inchers and just hope to some day catch one over 30 ;D
Even a bad day fishing beats a good day at work.

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 11, 2006, 01:59 PM »
Those cheeks are def rich and tasty...reminds me of lobster (or scallops i guess  :P).  How do you get that v piece out behind the gill plates??  I'm confused??   ???  I wouldn't feed them to my pets either.   ::)

PWR BAIT

« Reply #53 on: Dec 11, 2006, 05:51 PM »
Those cheeks are def rich and tasty...reminds me of lobster (or scallops i guess  :P).  How do you get that v piece out behind the gill plates??  I'm confused??   ???  I wouldn't feed them to my pets either.   ::)
  take those cheeks when you get enough of them. use a small crock dish for baking put some butter just about half the thickness of cheeks sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of them. put in broiler  8to10 minutes Mmmmmm  tasty.  PB

Offline theProfessor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 06, 2007, 09:18 AM »
  take those cheeks when you get enough of them. use a small crock dish for baking put some butter just about half the thickness of cheeks sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of them. put in broiler  8to10 minutes Mmmmmm  tasty.  PB

Add some garlic, salt and pepper to that butter/cheek then top with cheese and bake! 

Cheek Scampi!!
"Gilligan, where did you get that stick?"

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Jan 07, 2007, 07:21 AM »
I had a tagged 25 inch walleye in 2002 and the DEC biologist described it as a male tagged in 1992 as a 25 incher. That means in ten years it grew no longer. Larger fish must be females and their is no good reason to take larger fish unless you are starving. Take a picture of the big ones, eat and keep the smaller ones if you desire.

We don't need anymore laws, just good practices.

Your manhood is not determined by the size of your fish but by how well you fish.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline MXFISHER656

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 07, 2007, 07:45 AM »
I'm way late on this tread, but I would like to add that you can get cheeks out of a 15" fish no problem! Every walleye I've ever cleaned, I've gotten the cheeks out of them. Good stuff for sure.

I took this pictures for a freind who was wondering how to get the cheeks out. This fish is a 17er" (I think), maybe a little shorter. It was caught in a lake where the limit is 15".

This is how I get cheeks out.

Okay a 5 step plan to fresh cheeks.

Find the edge of the "cheek bone" and use a short flexable knife to follow the edge

Cut all the way up to the front of the fish towards the eye top and bottom in this pic look at the line around the cheek

Than get under neath the cheek, with a knife or finger, depending on the size of the fish. work the meat of the bone and work towards the front of the fish

Once your to the solid bone of the eye socket, be careful to not break thru the skin (if you do no biggie it's tough to peel the skin though) cut as close as you can to the skin to get your finger between the skin and meat.

Lastly pull the meat of the skin. It will come off very easy by hand.

Cook and enjoy! Cook as you would any other walleye meat. I usually don't do anything different.

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Jan 08, 2007, 10:15 AM »
My cat has been eating piles of fresh cheeks almost every night lately ;)  He loves em :tipup: 

I wish i was gary!!   :D

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 08, 2007, 02:00 PM »
You could of had a cheesy cheek casserole w/ all those fish from the last month for so   :'(...i think i just drooled on myself.  I'll trade you all your cheeks for a case of fancy feast.

walleyechaser

« Reply #59 on: Jan 08, 2007, 03:33 PM »
I'm surprised that you don't eat the cheeks Slip.  Since you are walleye extraordinaire.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.