Author Topic: Hardwater Vension Backstrap  (Read 2613 times)

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
Hardwater Vension Backstrap
« on: Oct 05, 2004, 01:38 PM »
As my name infers, I know a good deal about preparing wild game. Here's my favorite hardwater feast.

Venison Back strap- Fillet Mignon style

One package of back strap, sliced bacon, salt, pepper, garlic powder (or cloves pressed) one finely sliced onion, round toothpicks

Rub backstrap steaks with spices, and wrap steaks with bacon slices. They should look like fillet mignon at this point. Use the round toothpick (I've found the square break too easily) to pin the bacon on. Place bacon wrapped steaks in zip lock bag with sliced onions and refrigerate for one day. These are best over charcoal, but the key is to not overcook them. Cook over well-ashed coals slowly..when red juice starts to form a puddle on the top of the steaks, they are very close to done.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

hali-man

Re: Hardwater Vension Backstrap
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2004, 07:55 AM »
As my name infers, I know a good deal about preparing wild game. Here's my favorite hardwater feast.

MMM...
This is my favorite grilled food, too. I've never had it on the ice, and I've never refrigerated the steaks for a day with the spices and bacon. Does this make a big difference?

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2004, 04:25 PM »
that sounds amazingly good.

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2004, 11:09 AM »
    How do you keep the backstraps till you have ice ???  It does'nt ice up here till Jan. and my backstraps are long gone by then!!!  I usually will squirrel away a few packs of venison jerky to enjoy on the ice though.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2005, 09:01 PM »
I know what your talking about, my straps don't even make it out of deer camp!!!
Thank God you have to skin the deer for the other loin steaks, or them won't make it back here either!!

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2005, 06:07 AM »
I age my deer for 7 to 10 days.  40 degrees F is the best case.  That in itself makes a huge difference.  Ill try this reciepe with my venison.
Sounds awesome

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.