The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Dailey Lake Walleye  (Read 894 times)

Offline noahdahlke1

• IceShanty Rookie
Dailey Lake Walleye
« on: Jan 15, 2024, 06:15 PM »
I am curious about the walleye fishery in Dailey Lake. When I go onto the FWP's data page, it appears that on recent surveys, there is a decent walleye population. However, all the posts I have seen people struggle to catch fish, and when they do it's perch and trout. Is there a reason more walleye aren’t caught through the ice?  Or are they rarely caught throughout the year?

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
Re: Dailey Lake Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2024, 08:15 PM »
I am curious about the walleye fishery in Dailey Lake. When I go onto the FWP's data page, it appears that on recent surveys, there is a decent walleye population. However, all the posts I have seen people struggle to catch fish, and when they do it's perch and trout. Is there a reason more walleye aren’t caught through the ice?  Or are they rarely caught throughout the year?

I remember this article from a few years back. Maybe it can give you some hope.

https://www.sweetwaterflyshop.com/dec-18-2020-dailey-lake-expedition/

Tight lines!

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2024, 12:36 PM »
One of my uncles lived in Livingston for 40+ years.  According to him, Dailey has turned into a great walleye fishery.  He says through the ice your biggest challenge (apart from the horrendous wind) is just finding them. Pyro's article seems to agree. 

It's my belief with Dailey that the people who are catching the walleye aren't telling anybody. 

I'd tell you to keep at it!

Offline REDin13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2024, 02:18 PM »
just my opinion. If you look at the stocking report over the past 4-5 years, FWP has changed the fish community in Dailey. they do not stock walleye every year like they do rainbows. they haven't stocked walleye in 3 years, but they have stocked rainbows every year. this year they put about 25000 rainbows in over a 5 week period. on the other hand when they do put walleye in, its only 2500 fish. so if you do the math on survival rates over time, there can't be many left in Dailey after 3 years of natural mortality in addition to the fishing pressure.

perhaps its time to ask FWP what their management plan is for Dailey Lake.

Offline REDin13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2024, 02:58 PM »
my apologies on number of stocked walleye. it was 5,400 not 2,500 in 2021. (5,100 in 2019 and 1.800 in 2017). But it still asked the question of why many more rainbows and every year.

Offline CaptHoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2024, 10:35 PM »
I know A LOT of people that fish Dailey and only one of those guys catches the walleye through the ice with any regularity, or at least he says...  I catch one keeper a season out of luck and a few tiny ones when fishing chironomids for trout in the spring.
The ice is always safe. The question is, are you?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.