The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Moosehead  (Read 3663 times)

Offline AngellOutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
Moosehead
« on: Jan 30, 2023, 08:30 PM »
Does anyone wanna fish Moosehead? I'll be coming to Maine from Iowa Thursday the 2nd and staying around Ellsworth until the 7th. Thinking about making a day trip on the 5th or 6th to drown some bait. I fished Maine for the first time last winter and met some awesome people and got to do some sight seeing in your beautiful state. Can't wait to be back. Any advice on Moosehead or any other lakes you'd recommend is appreciated

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Moosehead
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2023, 06:38 AM »
If I was at camp I'd enjoy a trip with you, but unfortunately I'm down south in the land of thin ice for the next couple of weeks. If I was you, staying in Ellsworth this weekend, I might think about fishing a little closer to home than Moosehead. Maybe West Grand. Whatever you decide, best of luck.

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2023, 04:14 PM »
This hasn't been the best year for ice.  Moosehead is about 2 hours each way from Ellsworth.  You might consider checking out Tunk Lake in T10 SD.  It's strictly trout, salmon and lake trout and is about 30 minutes each way from Ellsworth on route 182.  No guarantee the ice is any good, but less driving involved.  There are 4 lakes within about 10 minutes of Tunk 3 of which are open to ice fishing.   If nothing else, it's a beautiful area.  BE Careful and check the ice and don't take anyone's word for it.  Tunk is large and deep and produces good fish, but it's noted as being slow.  Across the road is Pleasant River Lake which is also a trout producer.  Both right off the road so don't require much bushwacking.  Good luck and stay on the correct side of the ice.

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2023, 04:41 PM »
I wouldn’t think about trying Tunk or West Grand until after this weekend due to ice conditions.  Even then may be sketchy years for both of them.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2023, 05:08 PM »
Tunk is wide open and will remain so all winter.

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2023, 07:41 PM »
  Tunk is large and deep and produces good fish, but it's noted as being slow.  Across the road is Pleasant River Lake which is also a trout producer.  Both right off the road so don't require much bushwacking.  Good luck and stay on the correct side of the ice.

Pleasant River Lake isn't across the road from Tunk Lake. I think you meant Spring River Lake, which is located across the road from Tunk.

Offline AngellOutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2023, 09:36 PM »
Appreciate the replies. I was wanting to do some fishing on MDI, but sounds like there's little to no ice around there. I'm okay with doing some driving to find some safe ice. It looks like it's going to be a cold one this weekend

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2023, 10:04 PM »
Pleasant River Lake isn't across the road from Tunk Lake. I think you meant Spring River Lake, which is located across the road from Tunk.

Yep, I screwed up the name.  On the plus side I had to break down and buy a new snow blower this week since my old one died.  Thats practically a guarantee of not much snow from now on.  Looking at the forecast it should help with the ice and seal up the slush. 

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2023, 05:59 AM »
Yep, I screwed up the name.  On the plus side I had to break down and buy a new snow blower this week since my old one died.  Thats practically a guarantee of not much snow from now on.  Looking at the forecast it should help with the ice and seal up the slush.

100%, got myself my an ion alpha plus after that early December cold snap and haven’t used it once

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2023, 06:29 AM »
Appreciate the replies. I was wanting to do some fishing on MDI, but sounds like there's little to no ice around there. I'm okay with doing some driving to find some safe ice. It looks like it's going to be a cold one this weekend

Take a walk up into little long or tilden if you want to enjoy Maine, I'm guessing you might find a few inches but only a guess.  Some great little ponds off rt. 9 also.  Invest in a Maine Atlas and go to town while here, half the fun. :tipup:

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2023, 06:46 AM »
Be sure to carefully read the special fishing laws for each pond/lake before fishing. Many are not open to icefishing, and the list of rules on some lakes is lengthy. Moosehead in particular.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:02 AM »
This morn here in Cumberland its a cold 8 deg  this will help set up some of slush and if no wind set Big Sebago,

Offline Rusland07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2023, 04:30 AM »
Hello everyone! I' heading out to Moosehead lake next week for a week long ice fishing trip from the 18th-25th, has anyone been out on the lake lately? What's the ice thickness currently and how has the bite been? Thanks!

Offline Wago14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2023, 02:52 PM »
They recently staked the snowmobile trails on the lake. 10" + in most places from what I hear.

There are bad spots all over that lake in the same spots every year, so do not go cruising around unless you know the lake or are sticking to marked trails.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2023, 02:59 PM »
Ive heard from other fishermen thats what was on Chesuncook last week.  That only 38 miles north  .  Most northern have about same thickness ,

Offline Rusland07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2023, 01:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I’m renting a snowmobile from Rockwood with the 25 miles/day limit, planning to ride it across the lake from Rockwood to Lily Bay where my cabin is at. Here’s the simple route I plan to do - does it seem reasonable? It’s slightly under 12 miles.

Offline Wago14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2023, 10:43 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I’m renting a snowmobile from Rockwood with the 25 miles/day limit, planning to ride it across the lake from Rockwood to Lily Bay where my cabin is at. Here’s the simple route I plan to do - does it seem reasonable? It’s slightly under 12 miles.

Disclaimer: I have yet to be out on Moosehead this year. My annual 5 night trip in the shack is a few weeks out and I have been floating around on a boat at work out of country...

If the lake is staked and their is good ice, that route is ok, just stay well off sandy bay point and island, there are usually some bad spots there every year (probably even more so this year).

Is there any opportunity to trailer the sleds around? You could get on by the Barn/boathouse on the other side and the ice from there out to Sugar is usually very safe (except for whatever pressure ridges there may be).

Offline Rusland07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2023, 06:01 AM »
Unfortunately not  :-\ I'm driving driving 1,400 miles one way for this trip - bringing a trailer would be out of the question. I'll just have to be a tad more cautious.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2023, 08:04 AM »
Unfortunately not  :-\ I'm driving driving 1,400 miles one way for this trip - bringing a trailer would be out of the question. I'll just have to be a tad more cautious.

I'm headed up tomorrow, but I won't get on the lake until you are already there. No help here, sorry.  As Wago mentioned, the area inside the Sandbar is typically open water although it's shallow and you may be able to hug the mainland shore. Most years there is a pressure ridge running across the lake in that general area as well. Yikes with the conditions this year. I assume you're renting from Moosehead Sled in Rockwood? They'll probably be your best source of current conditions on the lake.

Once you make it to your camp you'll enjoy. Best of luck to you.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2023, 09:47 AM »
When is the last time you could skate on Moosehead mid February? :blink:

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2023, 11:05 AM »
When is the last time you could skate on Moosehead mid February? :blink:

No kidding, the zamboni is coming tonight.

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2023, 11:18 AM »
Greenville is going to get 3-6 inches tonight

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2023, 11:53 AM »
Greenville is going to get 3-6 inches tonight

If that happens, time for a rip on the snowsled.

Offline Rusland07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2023, 07:00 PM »
Quick update: trip went well, saw the open water near sandy point and avoided it, thanks for the heads up. Caught about 20 lake trout, all within 18-24inch - no trophies but still fun.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.