The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Cusking, when?  (Read 1020 times)

Offline mzhoward

• IceShanty Rookie
Cusking, when?
« on: Jan 30, 2023, 10:11 AM »
When do the cusk start biting?

I’m hoping to hit great moose for them, but I went a few years ago in January and got skunked. I’ve always done best in late February, but that was on Moosehead and many years ago . . .

Offline Wago14

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cusking, when?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2023, 10:24 AM »
You can catch Cusk all winter long with no issues. This time of year I generally fish 20-40'.

What you are thinking of is in March when they start moving into shallower water to spawn and catching more and larger fish becomes easier.

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2023, 12:18 PM »
We always do better after the middle of February until the spawn is over towards the end of March.  We caught 1 this weekend, in 35' of water

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2023, 12:18 PM »
We always do better after the middle of February until the spawn is over towards the end of March.  We caught 1 this weekend, in 35' of water

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2023, 03:38 PM »
Ive found from mid febuary to mid March cusk move into their spawing areas.  also with a dense snow cover ive found they feed during the day as much  as they do at night,

Offline mzhoward

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2023, 04:50 PM »
I guess I’ve only fished shallow during the spawn then. Same tactics in deeper water work okay, then?

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2023, 05:13 PM »
I would suggest try fishing slightly deeper water earlier in the season or during the day you can catch cusk as well again focus deeper water I have caught them during the day in around 80 FOW, I have also caught cusk earlier in the season in shallow water, I think what the ground is made up of is more important fish around rockier areas crawfish is one of there biggest forage so try to setup where you may find some best advice I can think of

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2023, 01:21 PM »
We got some as bycatch last weekend fishing for lakers in 80-100 feet of water.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2023, 01:49 PM »
Ive found they prefer  flat rocky areas 20' to 30'  for spawning, befoe or after they will move ito shallows when feeding

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.