The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Messalonskee Trip  (Read 827 times)

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
Messalonskee Trip
« on: Jan 25, 2023, 08:39 AM »
I am planning a trip to Messalonskee Feb 10-12 for some pike fishing. Still working on accommodations. Going back and forth on staying at a local hotel or at this small Airbnb right on the lake.  I do not have access to an ATV or snowmobile and would be hoofing it from where ever I got on and plan to fish around Greeley. The Airbnb is up on the northern part right near Blake Island. Only reason I plan to fish by Greeley is because the only time I ever fished Messalonskee was 10 years ago and it was right around Greeley and we had a decent day.

Couple questions....

Would the fishing be about the same around Blake Island vs. Greeley?
Are there any other access points to the lake on the south western side? The only public access I can find searching on line is the Sidney Boat Launch?

Plan to fish with large shiners a couple feet off the bottom. Any tips or other suggestions?

Not looking to blow up anyone's spots just looking to gain some more knowledge about the lake to hopefully have a couple successful days on the ice. Please PM me if youd rather not post publicly.

Tight lines!
Dan

Offline mzhoward

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Messalonskee Trip
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2023, 07:58 PM »
You can walk on at the north end. Public parking just north cemetery, always a lot of people fishing around there. Called “snow pond” by the locals.

The die hard fisherman, and one trophy like man I know walk a long ways south of there to an island south of the channel. I’ve never been but it can’t be that far. It’s easy access, but all I’ve caught in the snow pond section is small perch and large smallmouths.

Slow too.

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Messalonskee Trip
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2023, 10:40 AM »
Thank you mzhoward!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.