The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: we got bombed!  (Read 3319 times)

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
we got bombed!
« on: Jan 14, 2023, 07:31 AM »
well its not good news for the Long lake derby or icefishing this season in northern Aroostook. we got 21'' of snow from yesterdays storm. most of the lakes including Long, only had 5-6in of ice on them and there isnt any cold in the forecast to freeze the slush that's now coming up on these lakes. the thin ice itself will make it dangerous as there are spots im sure that are much thinner, and the layer of slush will insulate the ice from building as will the warm weather predicted. if you do come up anyway, be prepared for these conditions.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
Re: we got bombed!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2023, 08:12 AM »
21”? Yikes.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2023, 09:18 AM »
I wondering how hard you got hit up there, Steve!  Looks like there is more on the way, maybe with some sloppy mix :P

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2023, 10:32 AM »
Not good.  In the Bangor area we got almost all rain and now the ice is bare as far as the eye can see.  Still about 5 inches of ice but the edges will suck. Just to add a little spice to the mix there was an earthquake just south of Phillips Lake in Dedham.   Wasn't big but about 3.3.  Somehow, I don't think that makes the ice more solid and according to the BDN article it shook some people up quite a bit.

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2023, 11:35 AM »
Thanks for the info there are 4 of us coming from the Portland area we got all rain

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2023, 11:36 AM »
You talk about a recipe for tragedy Steve, wow.  Questionable ice
will never catch in that amount of time with that insulative cover no matter how cold it gets.  If they don’t have the wisdom to cancel I hope they have the wisdom to strongly suggest fishing for brookies

Offline sab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2023, 09:10 AM »
Naples Long Lake (South) from Naples looking towards Harrison.    Very strange picture for middle of Jan.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2023, 10:59 AM »
Wonder what ice measures out a 100 yds  today

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2023, 06:30 PM »
Crazy weather…more snow on the way too!!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2023, 06:41 AM »
You talk about a recipe for tragedy Steve, wow.  Questionable ice
will never catch in that amount of time with that insulative cover no matter how cold it gets.  If they don’t have the wisdom to cancel I hope they have the wisdom to strongly suggest fishing for brookies
I just checked the Derby's Facebook page and not a mention about cancelling.  If they don't cancel, they should at least provide a cautionary statement about conditions so folks can make an informed decision before travelling. 

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2023, 07:49 AM »

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2023, 03:22 PM »
had to save my bros cabin 3 days ago on birch point. the slush came up eating the ice under the cabin. when we went out to jack it, the back of the cabin broke thru. same happened to a old feller next to us. he lost the whole foot of his high lift. we just got sleet, freezing rain and another 6in. of heavy snow no -0 temps in the forecast even at night. im only fishing where i can walk out. someone will drown in this derby.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2023, 04:26 PM »
Someone will drown in this derby.

Wow, that sums up the conditions pretty damn clearly.   I sure hope the downstaters listen to the locals on true conditions and heed their words.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2023, 06:48 AM »
I hope common sense kicks in and nobody dies.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2023, 02:14 PM »
Wow, that sums up the conditions pretty damn clearly.   I sure hope the downstaters listen to the locals on true conditions and heed their words.
i wanted to be blunt for the desired effect. people will get some liquid courage and go anyway. plus when that much monies involved, it makes it even more tempting.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2023, 12:38 PM »
well a update. seems the snow was mostly eaten up by the slush. seeing more cabins going out. storm is downgraded to 1-2in. and windy for the next 3 days. should make things a little better. still no -0 temps though in the 10 day. going to dig the sled out and take a ride on the lake to check conditions maybe weds.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2023, 07:20 PM »
After tomorrows mess it will make slush more Prevelent for sure.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2023, 08:08 AM »
looks like another ft. thurs. :( alot of wind the rest of the week so hopefully most gets blown to shore.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2023, 11:15 AM »
well we just got 14'' of snow and no wind. still lightly snowing. im out. as soon as people punch holes these lakes will turn to slush pits. if you still go be prepared for rough goings. id only bring minimal gear spread out in small multipple loads so if you do get stuck it wont be as bad. shovel, ropes and highlifts are a very good idea.

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2023, 12:57 PM »
Down here in the tropics (aka the Bangor area) we got mostly rain.  So, we have a ton of water looking for a place to go.  Until it freezes up the slush will be unmanageable.  The snow cover on the lake is minimal so perhaps there is hope but anyone taking a machine out here now will need a snorkel and a periscope.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2023, 01:12 PM »
We had probably a foot of snow on 6" of ice before this storm. I pushed my shack to shore last night and there was prob 1" of slush under the foot of snow. And that was when it was still cold out. Rain this morning after another 5" of snow and 40 deg. here now so I'm sure it's gotten much worse.
I guess skiing or indoor golf for me this weekend.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2023, 07:20 AM »
A young fellow out fishing on 4" on his way back in fell tru near shore was able to touch bottom and made it back to shore, The rain weaken around shoreline and in Narrows area on Little Sebago , lots of slush  that will take a spell of cold to freeze solid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.