Author Topic: Cooking Panfish Fillets in Air Fryer  (Read 7989 times)

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
Cooking Panfish Fillets in Air Fryer
« on: Dec 30, 2018, 01:47 PM »
I got an Air Fryer for Christmas, and am anxious to try it out.  I fish for a lot of yellow perch and usually fillet them up.  I usually fry them up in beer batter or breadcrumbs in oil, but am wondering how you would do that in an air fryer.  I imagine that if you use some sort of batter, you do not want to to stack them up on each other, do you?

Anyone have any tips for cooking panfish fillets in an Air Fryer?

Thanks

Offline thepikepolice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cooking Panfish Fillets in Air Fryer
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2018, 03:43 PM »
There are some great recipes online for the Air Fryer. I would make sure the fillets have plenty of space. I believe that the manual it comes with also has some pretty solid general advice for cooking all sorts of stuff.

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2018, 03:58 PM »
I've wondered the same thing. Hope someone has some experience with this
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2019, 07:55 PM »
I’ve trued airfryer many times for health reasons and only fish that are good in them are thick fillets as thin ones just dry up and don’t brown at all.French fries and chicken is great in it though.I went back to deep frying and eating less as much better

Offline Firstholer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2019, 10:14 AM »
I use my air fryer for fish filets , pork chops fries tater tots etc.  I added an instant pot for uses with other wild game and fish., My Perch / pike/whitefish/walleye breading recipe is 1. put milk and 1 or 2 eggs in a bowl mix it up add fillets, refridgerate most of the day, 2 then put fillets on a grated type  sheet and drain the fillets, 3 then place in a bag a few at a time, in the bag is  crushed up cheese puffs (cheese puffs crunch up better than Cheetos, then panko and crushed up BBQ potato chips or other kinds of flavored chips, all crushed up. Put the filets in the air fryer basket then cook , if you have more just repeat, takes about 5 min for perch filets.  I use mine 3 or 4 times per week as I do all the cooking foe me and the wife. :) luv my air fryer.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2019, 07:19 AM »
Thanks for the reply on the perch fillets.  That is what I usually fish for.  Do you flip them?  What temp do you do them at?

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2019, 08:11 PM »
I do perch, crappie, and gill fillets and have no trouble with mine. Usually I dry the fillets, dip them in an egg wash with a little buttermilk, then dredge in a mix of Panko and seasoned Italian bread crumbs. Leave space in between them and don't overlap. I usually cook 5 min first side and 4 after I flip them at 370 degrees. Naturally there can be differences in various models so check your first batch and adjust if needed. Here's a batch of perch and gills with home made Tartar:

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2019, 08:24 PM »
I do perch, crappie, and gill fillets and have no trouble with mine. Usually I dry the fillets, dip them in an egg wash with a little buttermilk, then dredge in a mix of Panko and seasoned Italian bread crumbs. Leave space in between them and don't overlap. I usually cook 5 min first side and 4 after I flip them at 370 degrees. Naturally there can be differences in various models so check your first batch and adjust if needed. Here's a batch of perch and gills with home made Tartar:
(Image removed from quote.)
.   Those look great!

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2019, 04:13 PM »
Thanks.  I gave it my first attempt this weekend, and tried 5 minutes for the perch fillets.  I think I could have let them go an extra minute or two.

The ones I did with Panko and bread crumbs did OK.  I tried some Ass-Kickin' Chipotle that is great deep fried.  It is a big more powdery, and didn't turn out quite like a I hoped.  I read where some people spray the fillets with cookie spray, and I think that is what that needed to crisp up more.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2019, 10:33 AM »
Make sure you blot the fillets nice and dry before you start. Also the time will  with size of the fish. Those perch fillets (pictured) were all from really good fish (for these parts at least) 11" and better. tbern; they were great!  Jonesing to get out and find some more but it has been unseasonably warm around here.

Offline old buffalo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2019, 03:13 PM »
If no luck with the fish. Try some mini corn dogs. Tasty. Leftovers can be used as pike bait.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.