Author Topic: what size mustad fastach clip ?  (Read 2021 times)

Offline ougot1

• Team IceShanty Regular
what size mustad fastach clip ?
« on: Sep 08, 2020, 02:46 PM »
what size fastach clip should i be using on 1/12 oz kastmasters and 1/10 oz swedish pimples ? i was also going to try some on some acme phoebe 1/12 oz  .  all these lures are used for stocked brook trout . all replies appreciated !

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: what size mustad fastach clip ?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2020, 03:24 PM »
I'm not certain about the mustad fastach clips, but I've been using the No Knot Fas-Snaps for a few years and love them. I would think the medium size would work for kastmasters and pimples. I also use the small size for most micro jigs.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2020, 03:29 PM »
I would use the smallest one. If your older like me maybe the second to the smallest. These work very good to put some small pieces of bait on a treble hook. I use mine between the hook and lure. Gives  it a little dangling motion.
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2020, 03:40 PM »
size 0 15# 3/8"
size 1 25# 1/2"
size 2 50# 3/4"
size 3 75# 7/8"
size 4 100# 1"
size 5 150# 1-3/8"

https://www.muskyshop.com/components-lure-building/mustad-fastach-clips/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2020, 04:12 PM »
Not sure of the sizes, I believe #0 and #1???  I have used them on a shad rap also.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2020, 09:54 AM »
Bart,

Very interesting that you use these on the treble hooks.  What is the main advantage of this?  More action on the treble instead of using a dropper chain, or ease to change out?   Asking because this looks like a good idea and want to learn. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2020, 10:58 AM »
I use a similar product to take off the treble and add a fish head to it before returning it back.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2020, 11:03 AM »
Bart,

Very interesting that you use these on the treble hooks.  What is the main advantage of this?  More action on the treble instead of using a dropper chain, or ease to change out?   Asking because this looks like a good idea and want to learn.

Although its a Northland product which includes a hook the principle is the same..will keep a live minnow head or minnow head plastic on a treble for quite some time

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2020, 11:09 AM »
I bought the 1/2 inch size and the seemed right. Bad ice last year so I didn’t use them much but it’s a great idea.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2020, 11:13 AM »
Bart,

2:00 mark

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2020, 12:04 PM »
Hardwater - much appreciated for the video.  I would have never thought to use that tackle in this way, and I agree, this looks like a good way to present the minnow head.  Like using the heads, but it always seems to come off or they steal the bait. 

I'm going to have to purchase some of these and use this. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2020, 01:04 PM »
Hardwater - much appreciated for the video.  I would have never thought to use that tackle in this way, and I agree, this looks like a good way to present the minnow head.  Like using the heads, but it always seems to come off or they steal the bait. 

I'm going to have to purchase some of these and use this.

Works well ..sometimes only the head will get them to bite ...other times a whole minnow sometimes only a tail hooked minnow ..dont forget to pinch the head off the minnow allowing for some gut/innards to dangle  ;)2 ;)2 ;)2

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #12 on: Sep 09, 2020, 02:50 PM »
Bart,

The video that Hardwater Diehard posted is probably the video that sold me on the fastach, the minnow head trick and the way it pivots kinda like a chain on a Hali. Looks like everybody has your question pretty well covered, but that's it.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.