Author Topic: Trout behaviors near dams and outlets  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Trout behaviors near dams and outlets
« on: Mar 28, 2019, 12:11 PM »
I am curious to hear what information, thoughts, and experiences folks have in relation to fishing the lake side of dams. Do the fish swim along the dam suspended in the water column? Do they sit in current by the outlet? Is the congregation any different from other parts of the lake?

I have done really well fishing the outlets of natural lakes, i have also had lots of success fishing the holes right below dams. But i havent fished the water flowing into the dams much or the deep water at the dam walls.

I intend to test it out for myself, regardless of responses, but I love getting more info from other addicts. Is fishing the deep water or moving water near dams a good spot to catch trout?
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Trout behaviors near dams and outlets
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2019, 12:35 PM »
have seen trout stocked at dams return to the dam to spawn

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2019, 03:00 PM »
have seen trout stocked at dams return to the dam to spawn

wouldn't have even thought of that one! Thanks for the response.

The reservoir where I am going to be fishing is not stocked and I know the trout spawn in the inlet never checked if they spawn near the dam. During the non-spawning times I still do catch trout near the inlets, but the ice at the inlets is a bit sketchy right now so I am asking about the dam for this late winter/early spring time.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2019, 03:50 PM »
Never have fished close to a dam, I'd imagine there'd be fish there, if it's close to the spawn they will probably be closer to shore than in deeper water.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2019, 04:34 PM »
Smelt spawn is coming up quick and if the lake has smelt you can bet the trout will be following them. They will hound them as the smelt stage for spawning at the mouth of inlets.

As far as a dam I can see them following the flowing water their also this time of year. If it’s real deep and still ice covered they may be clinging to the oxygen that the dam flow produces.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2019, 07:23 PM »
I live 3 mins from an interesting one in that behind it is a compensating res that I fish as well.  With either, if the smelt are not near the dam neither are the trout...simple as that.  Now, if trout somehow learned how to eat dams...well that may change things!   

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2019, 06:57 AM »
I've caught some decent salmon during October at the outflow of a local lake, not a really deep dam. They are there to spawn. The same place can have rainbows in the spring.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2019, 12:57 PM »
I have always fished for trout in the tailwater, just below the dam. Look for the deep holes. I couldn't tell ya how to fish for them above the dam.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.