The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ling and Trout  (Read 1843 times)

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ling and Trout
« on: Mar 08, 2019, 02:50 PM »
Had some pretty good action the other day. Got some decent footage.
https://youtu.be/HkcRUx8EgF4

Offline PablitoPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ling and Trout
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2019, 03:00 PM »
Sweet video! Quite the honey hole you got there. Very cool

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2019, 03:54 PM »
Great job.  That's the kind of video I love watching. The real deal! :tipup:

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2019, 04:25 PM »
Nice video,lots of food in that water!
Dont ask

Offline Redhand

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2019, 05:47 PM »
If I may, what lure ru using there?

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2019, 05:55 PM »
If I may, what lure ru using there?
For some strange reason this year seems to be red and white Little Cleo year. I switch colors all the time, but this year for whatever reason red and white seems like their favorite!

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2019, 09:03 PM »
Great Vid!  So cool in shallow water

Offline 429421Cowboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2019, 10:34 AM »
That was awesome! Thanks for sharing.
East of the Rockies and west of the rest, I do my best to do my dangedest and that's about all I guess.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2019, 11:04 AM »
I forgot to watch this, glad I saw someone reply to it. Great video Steve, you guys sure do good on those spoons!

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2019, 12:38 PM »
I'd be real tempted to have a replica made of that one big trout, that was really nice!

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2019, 04:04 PM »
I forgot to watch this, glad I saw someone reply to it. Great video Steve, you guys sure do good on those spoons!
Crazy isn't it? I was sitting on the lake one day, fishing by myself and had only had maybe one fish come in all day. Close to sundown I heard someone walking up outside. It was an older guy and when I told him how I'd done he said he'd caught quite a few and offered to fish with me the next time I went. I'm not a real social kind of guy, but called him up the next time that I went. Within maybe 10 minutes he had his first fish. He told me he only used the cheapest Pot-o-gold spoons from Walmart. He never stopped jigging and if he didn't have a fish in maybe 10 minutes he would switch colors. I thought he was crazy. Pretty soon he had another. I told myself that if he caught one more I was going to admit defeat and borrow one of those heavy spoons. Of course he had another before I even had one bite. After borrowing one from him, by the end of the day I had caught more big rainbows than I had caught all together in years! Two were over 8 pounds, and he had done the same. This is in a place that is horribly hot and cold, and persnickety big fish. Needless to say I have been sold every since. I suspect it's a local phenomenon, but don't hesitate to try it for whatever I'm going after. He told me that he had always used spoons since he was a young kid back east and caught their family's meals with them 50 years ago. Doesn't work everywhere and all the time, but one more tool for the box. I will forever be grateful to Robert for his willingness to share his success.

Offline quaildog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2019, 10:06 PM »
That is a great vid!

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2019, 09:48 AM »
That's an awesome story SRA, thanks for sharing. I remember ice fishing trips to Bean Lake with my now deceased uncle like it was yesterday. He had a lot to do with my ice fishing willingness than my own father had.

Tight lines.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2019, 09:56 AM »
Crazy isn't it? I was sitting on the lake one day, fishing by myself and had only had maybe one fish come in all day. Close to sundown I heard someone walking up outside. It was an older guy and when I told him how I'd done he said he'd caught quite a few and offered to fish with me the next time I went. I'm not a real social kind of guy, but called him up the next time that I went. Within maybe 10 minutes he had his first fish. He told me he only used the cheapest Pot-o-gold spoons from Walmart. He never stopped jigging and if he didn't have a fish in maybe 10 minutes he would switch colors. I thought he was crazy. Pretty soon he had another. I told myself that if he caught one more I was going to admit defeat and borrow one of those heavy spoons. Of course he had another before I even had one bite. After borrowing one from him, by the end of the day I had caught more big rainbows than I had caught all together in years! Two were over 8 pounds, and he had done the same. This is in a place that is horribly hot and cold, and persnickety big fish. Needless to say I have been sold every since. I suspect it's a local phenomenon, but don't hesitate to try it for whatever I'm going after. He told me that he had always used spoons since he was a young kid back east and caught their family's meals with them 50 years ago. Doesn't work everywhere and all the time, but one more tool for the box. I will forever be grateful to Robert for his willingness to share his success.

Very cool, not many people willing to do that.

Offline ehntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2019, 10:29 AM »
Killer on ling!  Nice rainbows too!

Offline Hammer1Down

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2019, 06:48 PM »
That's crazy, I never do well out there with spoons.  I use small tungsten jigs with meal worms or a small 1/2" piece of crawler, always deadsticked.  Those ones that come in and peel off don't care for the movement.  Caught 11 trout out there in 3 hours using just deadsticked jigs, one being 28" and 8lbs.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2019, 01:23 PM »
That's crazy, I never do well out there with spoons.  I use small tungsten jigs with meal worms or a small 1/2" piece of crawler, always deadsticked.  Those ones that come in and peel off don't care for the movement.  Caught 11 trout out there in 3 hours using just deadsticked jigs, one being 28" and 8lbs.
I also run a deadsticked rod on a Jawjacker maybe 40' away, and always have way more action on the moving spoons. Sounds like nice fish.

Offline Hammer1Down

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2019, 01:49 PM »
I also run a deadsticked rod on a Jawjacker maybe 40' away, and always have way more action on the moving spoons. Sounds like nice fish.

Definitely was, almost tied my PB from out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.