New Hampshire > Ice Fishing New Hampshire

Nils Auger head sharpening

(1/2) > >>

fishingidjit:
I've been using a 4.5 inch Nils auger for close to 20 years .In that time I have dulled a few heads and would quickly buy another one to keep fishing without interruption. I finally sent two heads into the authorized dealer in Ashby ,Mass and am pleased with the results. I sent them out last Wednesday and received them back today . Just a heads up for anyone using a Nils in need of sharpening , I highly recommend the Small Engine Repair  service in Ashbury !

filetandrelease:
 I’ve used both shops ,   (sharp nils )  frank DeLuca does a great job absolutely no complaints
 I have all 3 sizes 4.5-8”  , and have 2 that are tanakas from the 80s before they became nils and still cutting with those heads ,

SALMONEMIA:

--- Quote from: fishingidjit on Apr 04, 2022, 09:07 AM ---I've been using a 4.5 inch Nils auger for close to 20 years .In that time I have dulled a few heads and would quickly buy another one to keep fishing without interruption. I finally sent two heads into the authorized dealer in Ashby ,Mass and am pleased with the results. I sent them out last Wednesday and received them back today . Just a heads up for anyone using a Nils in need of sharpening , I highly recommend the Small Engine Repair  service in Ashbury !

--- End quote ---
Just a heads up I have used the guy in ashby a few times when I owned a nils he destroyed the blade. I gave up on nils too complicated to get sharpened etc. I sent 2 blades to a Frank Delucca he did a good job but could only salvage one the other was destroyed in ashby. They have to be cut at just the right angle when sharpened.  The blades are way too finiky. Imo if you have to get a Nils dont go bigger than a 6. The blades seem to be more durable than an 8. Way to delicate for my needs. Just my opinion

Hottuna5150:

--- Quote from: SALMONEMIA on Apr 09, 2022, 07:46 AM ---Just a heads up I have used the guy in ashby a few times when I owned a nils he destroyed the blade. I gave up on nils too complicated to get sharpened etc. I sent 2 blades to a Frank Delucca he did a good job but could only salvage one the other was destroyed in ashby. They have to be cut at just the right angle when sharpened.  The blades are way too finiky. Imo if you have to get a Nils dont go bigger than a 6. The blades seem to be more durable than an 8. Way to delicate for my needs. Just my opinion

--- End quote ---

Yeah i'm hard on blades too. It's why I stayed with chipper blades when I went electric.

SALMONEMIA:

--- Quote from: Hottuna5150 on Apr 10, 2022, 06:44 AM ---Yeah i'm hard on blades too. It's why I stayed with chipper blades when I went electric.

--- End quote ---
I would say i use my auger like its meant to be used  i treat it carefully and respect the blades edges. The Nils just doesnt tolerate what I consider normal use. When I'm drilling holes I dont want have to worry about being gentle. Plus if the alignment is off in the slightest its useless.  Too delicate for my needs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version