The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Eggshells  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Guddefam

• IceShanty Rookie
Eggshells
« on: Feb 20, 2022, 11:31 PM »
Hey guys I’ve seen this on a couple of posts, Has anyone here used eggshells to tract perch or Pike or any other fish while ice fishing?

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eggshells
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2022, 01:00 AM »
I have heard of people who are ice spearfishing who drop crumbled eggshells down their hole to make pike more visible, because they contrast with the white eggshells lying on the bottom. But I've never heard anybody claim that eggshells will attract any kind of fish.

People who are ice fishing for kokanee will sometimes drop corn meal or finely crumbled corn chips or oatmeal down their hole in an effort to attract kokanee, which feed mostly on plankton. As the corn meal or other attractant drifts slowly towards the bottom, the kokanee may cruise through the cloud of particles, snapping at them. 

Offline Guddefam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2022, 12:37 PM »
I guess it’s more of a chumming method, but here is the link to one of the places I found it referenced.

https://freshwaterfishin.com/2021/06/chumming-for-perch-how-to-get-schools-of-fish-to-come-to-your-fishing-hole/?amp=1

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2022, 05:01 PM »
I have never heard of chumming with egg shells, and doubt it works.  But then, I have only chummed for sharks.  I know people use egg shells, as mentioned above, to create contrast when spearing pike.  I didn’t think it was even legal to chum in Montana.  If you’re going to chum, drop a can of tuna or cat food down on a thin rope or line after punching holes in it.

Offline Guddefam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2022, 06:44 PM »
This was a quote from a previous state biologist that I know.

“ It’s not illegal. Can’t use whole game fish or certain parts of gamefish as bait. Some people chum with corn. It’s not specifically addressed in the regulations because it’s not part of Montana tradition or practice.”

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2022, 08:45 AM »
This was a quote from a previous state biologist that I know.

“ It’s not illegal. Can’t use whole game fish or certain parts of gamefish as bait. Some people chum with corn. It’s not specifically addressed in the regulations because it’s not part of Montana tradition or practice.”

do not corn kokanee waters as they will eat it, but they can't digest it and will die
Get bit!

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2022, 10:05 AM »
years ago I fished for trout and we did use white egg shells to attacked fish to our holes and at times seemed to work. 
olefish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.