Author Topic: Cletus' Chili con Queso  (Read 2373 times)

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
Cletus' Chili con Queso
« on: Dec 31, 2021, 09:50 PM »
Cuzzin Cletus is a highly educated East Texas ol' boy, third grade bein' three of the best years of his life.  He's been described by a team of doctors, three ex-wives and the Texas Game Warden's Association as, "of limited intellect".  Dispite his problem with the written word, the spoken word, the holy word, the four letter word and Microsoft Word Cletus rose to the lofty position of part-time fill-in bartender and full time day drinker at the local home of lay abouts, boozers and philosophers, the High Ceiling in beautiful downtown Spring, Texas, just across the sewage canal from the creosote plant.  Now some say only Beluga Caviar will do.  Others opt for Beef Wellington Pastry Wrapped with Truffels.  But here at the High Ceiling, we'll go with Cletus every time...

Cletus' Chili con Queso

1 lb velveeta cheese
1/2 lb GOOD QUALITY* Mexican Chorizo, browned and crumbled fine
1 c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 can diced tomatoes w/ green chilis**
1/3 c half & half, whole milk or chicken broth
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp gnd cumin
1/8 tsp dried Mexican oregano
2 ea dried chili de arbol peppers or all the chopped jalapenos you're tough enough to handle

Mix all the ingreds together and microwave until all the cheese is melted, stopping and stiring often.  Serve warm w/ crispy tortilla chips and the ice cold "fire put-er out-er" of your choice.

*Some Mexican chorizo is made with lymph nodes and other trash.  Be careful what you buy.  Johnsonville and Jimmy Dean are two brands that are acceptable.  For the best chorizo to ever pass a set of lips see my recipe for "Muy Bueno Chorizo" posted on this site a year or two ago...

**Rotels are a national brand.  Or sub a cup of diced tomatoes and a small can of diced green chilis.

Cletus says, "So good it'll make ya lay down & scream."
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Brochet

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cletus' Chili con Queso
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2022, 08:48 AM »
I always look forward to posts from beautiful downtown Spring, Texas, just across the sewage canal from the creosote plant  ;D

thanks for a good read and recipe, keep 'em coming !

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2022, 08:06 PM »
Johnsonville?!     :sick:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2022, 02:17 PM »
Yes I know it's sub-standard.  But the vast majority of commercial chorizo is made with the stuff that's left over after all the other sausage is made.

I make my own.  I don't eat lymph nodes, snouts, tails and other trash.  But you will if you're not very careful when you buy Mexican chorizo.  ALWAYS read the ingredients...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2022, 09:18 PM »
I eat all those good things. I like the real mexican chorizo. Kills off all the bad germs and maybe even holds the killer virus at bay.  Not for everyone. But I've also been know to, on more than one occasion, bite Con gusano worm in half  between my teeth while banging a shot of good mezcal with my cousins, too. Grew up making real mexican food.  Ole'!   ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.