Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Crappies

Hole Size

<< < (3/6) > >>

dsupercat:

--- Quote from: DR.SPECKLER on Dec 26, 2021, 03:00 PM ---I like 8" hole for ever species,why go smaller if you already own a 8"?i set up 2 tipups for northerns and jig 1 rod and with a 8" hole i  dont have to pull the ducer out as much and know that any fish will come on thru.ive had a few large specks not fit in a 5" hole before.6" is doable but my drill setup cuts great with a 8" bit.

--- End quote ---

Only one reason drill gets litter and drills faster if you hole hop. If you only drill a couple of holes then it really doesn't matter but when drilling 50-100 holes a day makes a big difference.

river_scum:
lol saves ice. i like that 1.

slipperybob:
I've had like a 13" crappie get itself stuck in my 8" hole.  Don't know if the hole was still 8 inches, but don't know how the fish position itself in such a way.  Once in a lifetime I guess.

Then again just a few days ago, I had a 13" walleye wedged itself stuck in my 8" hole.  The head and tail bend at just the perfect angle and it wasn't moving.

bullpine:
I have heard of drilling two 6 inch holes and then using a spud, I guess, to open up a bigger hole.  That would be a better hole for keeping the transducer off to the size and out of the way.  Anybody doing that or tried it? How did it go?

Sylvanboat:

--- Quote from: Db1 on Dec 26, 2021, 05:22 PM ---I have always used 6in i have pulled nice 15in crappies out of the holes plus a bunch of other species of fish

--- End quote ---

X2. 6” is also lighter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version