Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Crappies

Thoughts on crappie locations on this 23acre lake.

<< < (2/4) > >>

matzilla:
brush piles and cedar trees on the drops along the dam and east shore.....I have a pond similar to this but much smaller haha, my crappie hug those brush piles all year long and ambush bait fish. Hole hop those piles. Its only 23 acres, you should be able to locate fish pretty easily

Agronomist_at_IA:

--- Quote from: matzilla on Nov 23, 2020, 08:43 AM ---brush piles and cedar trees on the drops along the dam and east shore.....I have a pond similar to this but much smaller haha, my crappie hug those brush piles all year long and ambush bait fish. Hole hop those piles. Its only 23 acres, you should be able to locate fish pretty easily

--- End quote ---

You would think.....I swear the crappie disappear from the lake durring the day. Dusk going into dark it's crazy good fishing & finding them is easy & possible.......during the day......who knows. I've Swiss cheesed it with a goose egg. Watched people from my hut Swiss cheese it with nothing.....can't even hardly find them to even mark them. Used cameras even. So I tend to fish it for gills during the day.....then once dusk comes the crappie move in and it's great. I've just sat there fishing after dark with a nice bucket thinking.....where in the heck were they an hour ago.......

Brush piles always have gills around....but crappie are gone durring the day....not sure why....we've checked with cameras.....22in bass roam and hook a few every now and then....

Gunflint:

--- Quote from: Agronomist_at_IA on Nov 23, 2020, 01:37 PM ---You would think.....I swear the crappie disappear from the lake durring the day. Dusk going into dark it's crazy good fishing & finding them is easy & possible.......during the day......who knows. I've Swiss cheesed it with a goose egg. Watched people from my hut Swiss cheese it with nothing.....can't even hardly find them to even mark them. Used cameras even. So I tend to fish it for gills during the day.....then once dusk comes the crappie move in and it's great. I've just sat there fishing after dark with a nice bucket thinking.....where in the heck were they an hour ago.......

Brush piles always have gills around....but crappie are gone durring the day....not sure why....we've checked with cameras.....22in bass roam and hook a few every now and then....

--- End quote ---

Have you Livescoped it?

Agronomist_at_IA:

--- Quote from: Gunflint on Nov 23, 2020, 02:01 PM ---Have you Livescoped it?

--- End quote ---

No....it would be nice to live scope it......my buddy got one a year ago....but I haven't gone with him much. Might hve to see if I can get him to go durring the day. To try.

My thought is that the fish must be scattered & suspend in the water.....then if they hear foot steps or an áuger scatter from that spot. you'd think with a drill áuger it wouldn't scare them though since it's not very loud.

hardwater diehard:

--- Quote from: Agronomist_at_IA on Nov 23, 2020, 03:00 PM ---No....it would be nice to live scope it......my buddy got one a year ago....but I haven't gone with him much. Might hve to see if I can get him to go durring the day. To try.

My thought is that the fish must be scattered & suspend in the water.....then if they hear foot steps or an áuger scatter from that spot. you'd think with a drill áuger it wouldn't scare them though since it's not very loud.

--- End quote ---

If they are shallow ..gonna be hard to see them with electronics..and yes noise could spook them ..dragging sled/shelters . Then there were times we would send the 'kid" to ride around are tip ups to get'em to bite ...so there is that strategy too. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version