Author Topic: Curlew Lake Reports  (Read 18746 times)

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Curlew Lake Reports
« Reply #30 on: Jan 02, 2019, 04:17 PM »
Trip booked for the 18th - 20th. Man, I hope we have good ice by then.  ;D

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 02, 2019, 06:35 PM »
You and me both! I’ve got 2 weeks vacation coming in a week, and it’s looking bleak for ice. Forties forecast for the Spokane area. Not good...

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2019, 10:30 AM »
We may end up going to Gillette again instead. The long term weather forecast for Republic is not good. Highs in the high 30s and lows above freezing for much of the next ten days. We are considering cancelling our trip to Curlew. Very disappointing. :-\

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 06, 2019, 04:14 PM »
Reports from Curlew this weekend are that the ice sketchy already and with temps headed where they are I doubt its going to get better.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 06, 2019, 06:02 PM »
I agree, sir. We cancelled our Curlew trip and are now going to hit some of the lakes in the Colville area again that weekend. Any idea about ice conditions at Sullivan lake? Would be fun to try for some burbot!

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 06, 2019, 06:43 PM »
I agree, sir. We cancelled our Curlew trip and are now going to hit some of the lakes in the Colville area again that weekend. Any idea about ice conditions at Sullivan lake? Would be fun to try for some burbot!

At 1000+ acres and with its depth I seriously doubt Sullivan is good to go.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 06, 2019, 11:47 PM »
I didn't think so.  I will try to get a report out once I check the weekend of the 18th. We are going to rent an airbnb not far from there and spend the weekend hitting the lakes we can. Primarily looking for perch or crappie, but would also be open to some other species.

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 07, 2019, 10:13 AM »
Give Coffin a try. Its got bass, trout, and tench as well as several other species.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 07, 2019, 01:01 PM »
We struck out on lodging in that area, unfortunately. We are researching Patterson and what might be available near there to rent now. I'm pretty sure I watched a video of you catching Crappie out there, right? Ice still good as far as you know?

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 07, 2019, 01:20 PM »
We struck out on lodging in that area, unfortunately. We are researching Patterson and what might be available near there to rent now. I'm pretty sure I watched a video of you catching Crappie out there, right? Ice still good as far as you know?

Yes ice is 7" so even with some loss it should remain safe for some time. You'll find crappie, bass, trout, kokanee, and perch. Sun Mountain lodge is overpriced but you should find some reasonable lodging in nearby Winthrop or Twisp.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:33 AM »
Looks like the forecast changed the past couple of days and Curlew should now be below freezing at night. Has anyone been out there recently to fish or check the ice?

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2019, 02:45 PM »
Still looking for a recent Curlew ice report if anyone has been?  ???

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2019, 03:21 PM »
Reports have been widely mixed. Ice is plenty safe 7-8". Reports have been wildly variable. Today I had customers report it was absolutely dead and another walks in and shows me pics of 50 fish on the ice before noon.

They do appear to be biting very lightly and those with spring bobbers or noodle rods are doing better and especially those with electronics. Fish are being caught in 35-40' of water and folks seem to be doing better south of the state park than north.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2019, 04:04 PM »
Thanks, man! Appreciate the information! I am back on call this week so we will probably try to get up there the weekend of the 1st. Really enjoyed your last video. I thought for sure you were back at Patterson until you posted and said it was Leader lake. It's only another 20 minutes further for us than Curlew so we may have to hit that lake too.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 28, 2019, 04:02 PM »
Working on putting a trip together for Curlew this weekend. Let me know if any of you Shanty regulars plan on being out there!

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:45 AM »
Reports are still mixed with anglers reporting no success and others filling buckets on the same day. You got to move to find them. Folks fishing north of the state park up towards Tiffany's resort are doing better with some guys fishing up to 60' deep. Spring bobbers are a must.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 29, 2019, 12:52 PM »
We are staying at Tiffanys so that is great news! Thanks for the update and have a safe trip! Looking forward to your videos from abroad.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 01, 2019, 09:48 AM »
Way too excited for this trip to Curlew this evening...  ;D :tipup:

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 04, 2019, 02:21 PM »
Way too excited for this trip to Curlew this evening...  ;D :tipup:

The excitement was well placed. What a weekend! Plentiful and active fish in about 45' of water. One of those trips you don't easily forget.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 12, 2019, 11:01 AM »
Any ice on Curlew yet?!

Offline gillsonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 13, 2019, 07:59 AM »
Maybe call the resort?

Offline hookedlip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Dec 14, 2019, 02:35 AM »
I called up there last week and they said the north and south ends were capped but middle was all open. They said they were getting some ice starting around the dock as well. With the warm temps I’m afraid we were slowed down a bit but looks like we are starting to get back on track with the night time lows up there. Can’t wait to get up there!

Offline hookedlip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 14, 2019, 02:38 AM »
We are planning on getting a cabin in Jan if possible. For those of you more familiar with the area...is the resort the best/only place to stay?

Offline gillsonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 14, 2019, 09:00 AM »
Thanks for the info Hookedlip, I would like to know about lodging also, when I Emailed tiffany's awhile back they said they would only have 2 deluxe cabins available in the winter, kind of spendy if I remember right about 170.00 per night + tax

Offline hookedlip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Dec 14, 2019, 01:07 PM »
Ya they said they would have two cabins operational for the ice season and they were 3 bedroom cabins. They guy I talked with didn’t know the price but what you are quoting sounds about right based on what I have seen on their website. It does seem spendy, but you can probably comfortably split it between 4 guys, since they are three bdrms.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 15, 2019, 10:18 AM »
We usually split with another couple and stay at Tiffany’s. Can’t beat being able to walk out your door and onto the ice.

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 30, 2019, 05:57 PM »
Ice at Curlew State Park is 5". My first trip of the year didn't disappoint. Caught my pb Yellow Perch.

Offline gravelman_6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Dec 31, 2019, 04:18 AM »
Another good video of a good fishing trip. Got to love those perch fun to catch and very good eating. Happy New Years to you and your wife. Waiting for your next video.  :)

Offline hookedlip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 10, 2020, 11:46 AM »
Planning a trip to Curlew, trying to decide the best place to stay. We will be going up at the end of jan, so will be hoping to have enough ice. I'm guessing we will be walking so I would like to pick a place that we will the shortest walk possible to the good fishing areas. Any suggestions? Also, where is a good starting point? Can't wait! This will be our first trip to Curlew ice fishing!

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 11, 2020, 12:48 PM »
Planning a trip to Curlew, trying to decide the best place to stay. We will be going up at the end of jan, so will be hoping to have enough ice. I'm guessing we will be walking so I would like to pick a place that we will the shortest walk possible to the good fishing areas. Any suggestions? Also, where is a good starting point? Can't wait! This will be our first trip to Curlew ice fishing!

With upcoming temperatures there is nothing to worry about in terms of ice. The best place to fish is in front of the state park. You can drive down right to the lake and park at the boat ramp. Fish between the state park and the island.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.