Author Topic: BEST BOOTS FOR ICE FISHING?  (Read 34634 times)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: BEST BOOTS FOR ICE FISHING?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 01, 2019, 06:03 PM »
im not recommending muck arctic pros anymore..my 2 year old pair just cracked straight across the boot..junk.back to my mickeys.why cant anything be worth the money anymore?

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 01, 2019, 06:27 PM »
im not recommending muck arctic pros anymore..my 2 year old pair just cracked straight across the boot..junk.back to my mickeys.why cant anything be worth the money anymore?

You just can’t win can ya Dr.?

It’s a bummer they cracked. I know my Arctic Pros definitely pulled their weight today. I was the only one with warm feet.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 01, 2019, 06:33 PM »

Hey Doc, Cabelas Trans Alaskan... you'll never have cold feet again  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #33 on: Feb 01, 2019, 06:46 PM »
You just can’t win can ya Dr.?

It’s a bummer they cracked. I know my Arctic Pros definitely pulled their weight today. I was the only one with warm feet.
lol yeah bad day for sure..

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 01, 2019, 07:32 PM »
Irish setter elk trackers

Offline gillsonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:59 PM »
Got a new pair of Baffin selkirks, rated to -94f , nice and light and very warm and most important dry, no leaks, 6 trips so far and I love em!

Offline clmiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:15 PM »
I have a pair of Baffin Titans rated for -148F, they are nice but a little heavy

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:35 PM »
MY LAST 2 PAIRS OF MUCK BOOTS CRACKED AND THE SOLES BEGAN TO COME OFF. I HAVE A SMALL FARM AND WEAR THEM EVERY DAY (well I used to) FOR THE MONEY THEY SUCK!!! ON THE ICE i WEAR THE BAFFIN -148 DEGREE I FORGET THE MODEL. THIS IS MY 6TH YR. I DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT MY FEET WHEN ON THE ICE.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #38 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:50 PM »
MY LAST 2 PAIRS OF MUCK BOOTS CRACKED AND THE SOLES BEGAN TO COME OFF. I HAVE A SMALL FARM AND WEAR THEM EVERY DAY (well I used to) FOR THE MONEY THEY SUCK!!! ON THE ICE i WEAR THE BAFFIN -148 DEGREE I FORGET THE MODEL. THIS IS MY 6TH YR. I DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT MY FEET WHEN ON THE ICE.
its funny,well not really but  my mickeys are still in great shape and made in 1976 and ive wore them for more than 15 years. my mucks that I wore  3 months last year and 1 months this year icefishing and a few steelhead trips are  already junk.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:45 PM »
Baffins are bullet proof, put them through helland back and they still keep my toes warm, I used to have to use heat warmers...not with those :-), though you do need a size or two larger then normal when you get them, and just wear one pair of thin wool socks....thats how they work best :-)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline Vine Valley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 06, 2019, 07:40 PM »
As mentioned by someone's earlier post: do NOT wear your boots while driving to your ice fishing spot. I wear SmartWool socks. They are expensive but they are worth it. SmartWool socks keep your feet warm & dry!

Offline JIGMAN21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Oct 11, 2019, 08:27 AM »
MICKEYS WITH KOLD KUTTERS.  NOTHING NEATER--NOTHING SWEETER.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Oct 11, 2019, 07:09 PM »
Hey Doc, Cabelas Trans Alaskan... you'll never have cold feet again  ;)2

+100

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #43 on: Oct 11, 2019, 10:54 PM »
I’m happy with my  Trans Alaskans warm and comfy , installed  Kold Kutters

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #44 on: Oct 12, 2019, 03:13 AM »
Another vote for the trans-alaskan from Cabelas.  A bit "clumsy" but comfy and warm, for me, always.   But then not everyone's going to like that style boot.

Offline 50ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Nov 23, 2019, 09:03 AM »
Sorel XT boots (with liner). I have this one and only one. been using for almost 6 years for fishing and still strong. I put some screws into the soles for better gripping. working well, especially shoveling heavy snow.

I bought an a little bit larger in size recommended by the seller. Great product!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #46 on: Nov 23, 2019, 11:59 AM »
As mentioned by someone's earlier post: do NOT wear your boots while driving to your ice fishing spot. I wear SmartWool socks. They are expensive but they are worth it. SmartWool socks keep your feet warm & dry!

Yup. I wear nothing but my base layer stuff to and fro...including no boots...no matter how short or long the travel. First, it is not comfortable driving or riding with all of my gear on. Second, we do sweat whether we feel it or not, and sweat and cold weather do not make for good companions.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Jan 20, 2020, 08:28 AM »
Fished over the weekend first time with new Baffin Eiger boots. The boots are about same weight as my old retired Sorels.  Slightly bulkier but easy to walk around in. Air temps were in the teens and feet toasty warm all day.

Offline MT_BINX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 19, 2020, 05:56 PM »
my 2 cents, just got a set of korker polar 1200. so far amazing, warm and easy to get on and off with boa system. easy swap soles are a added bonus of being able to go from standard lugs to a cleated sole in about 2 min. been out 2 times with them 1 time average temp was under 30, stayed almost to warm, adjust socks for next time out single digit temps all day and 0 issues with foot warmth. they do run a big but nice for socks etc.
Its called PUBLIC land.... don't get mad if someone else is fishing there.

“Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #49 on: Feb 19, 2020, 08:48 PM »
Another vote for the trans-alaskan from Cabelas.  A bit "clumsy" but comfy and warm, for me, always.   But then not everyone's going to like that style boot.

X2
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 20, 2020, 07:58 AM »
I tried a new brand called Dunlops this year.  Very similar in construction to Mucks.  So far I haven't had any issues with cold feet but I haven't really been out in super cold weather, maybe low teens or single digits one day. TBH, I think Polypropylene sock liners under a good pair of wool or smart wool socks is just as important as the boot itself.  My feet sweat a lot and the poly socks wick away the sweat and if the wool gets damp it continues to stay warm.
westernmas on the finder

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #51 on: Feb 20, 2020, 03:58 PM »
im still rockin my 50 dollars craftsman boots I posted last Dec about. No signs of cracking at all, soles are still in great shape.

I may buy new liners at the end of this season, they are getting old and tired.

I have mucks at home but I dont use them fishing, no need to.

Still only wear thin dress socks and put in some foot powder before each trip, i do drive to my spot in socks, I don't wear any shoes at all, I take them off as soon as I am in car. Keeps my feet dry (assuming there is no wet stuff on the ground before I head out), gets them nice and warm for my day fishing.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Oct 05, 2020, 06:30 PM »
I ordered a pair of Cabela's Trans Alaskan pac boots. Received them today but they feel like they are squeezing my feet. My teenage son tried them on and he is ok with how they fit him. I guess he's getting his first and I'll have to order mine next month but larger size. We both wear shoe size 9 1/2. I ordered boots in size 10. I'm going to order them in size 11 next time.
jbird68

Online grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Oct 05, 2020, 07:25 PM »
Baffins are bullet proof, put them through helland back and they still keep my toes warm, I used to have to use heat warmers...not with those :-), though you do need a size or two larger then normal when you get them, and just wear one pair of thin wool socks....thats how they work best :-)
I love my Baffins. They are hard to size, The key to getting a good fit is to take out the liner and fit the liner to your foot. That's from Baffins recommendations. Stores don't like you doing that, but it makes for a great fit.

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Oct 06, 2020, 04:33 AM »
I think it's more important to get a pair of properly fitting boots rather than focusing on any particular brand. I'm not saying to go and buy the cheapest boots you can find, but a pair of boots that are great for me may not be the best solution for you. Buy a pair a 1/2 to a size up from what you normal size is to trap heat in the boot and not to restrict the circulation in your feet. Also keep your feet dry and take extra socks to change into. Once your feet sweat and your socks get wet, it won't matter what boots you have,your feet will get cold.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Oct 06, 2020, 10:57 AM »
Haven't found the best yet - but I won't buy Alphaburly pros again. They are plenty warm, but I had one pair spring a leak and they aren't overly comfortable if you do alot of squating/kneeling.
Da Pack!

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #56 on: Oct 06, 2020, 11:01 AM »
Baffin Titans

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #57 on: Oct 06, 2020, 12:41 PM »
I was hoping muck arctic pros were,being how light and comfortable they are,however they cracked in one ice fishing season and now slathered with shoo goo.so my choice of best warmest boots are still black mickeys.made in the 70s and still good.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Oct 06, 2020, 06:15 PM »
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Nov 06, 2020, 09:36 PM »
Baffin control max for days in the negatives or single digits, Simms G3 guide pull on boot for wetter days.
As for socks, I wear a liner sock (polyester I think?) and a wool sock over the liner sock.

Honestly both have been awesome.

I did try a pair of Keen boots a few years ago and they sucked...
WINTER IS COMING!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.