Author Topic: Auger Size Limit  (Read 1856 times)

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
Auger Size Limit
« on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:40 PM »
Hello All,

I was reading through the Lake County Forrest Preserve fishing guide and noticed something I have never head of, a hole diameter limit of 6 inches or smaller.

Ice fishing shelters must be removed at the end of each day, only two poles are allowed, and holes must be drilled six inches or smaller.

Is this something that is enforced? I've never heard of this and only have a 8inch ION in my kit. I can maybe see limiting 10"+ holes for safety but most augers come standard with 8" bits, this just seemed odd to me.

Does one buy a new auger bit $$?

Cheers

Offline wilbur

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Auger Size Limit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:00 AM »
I cut down an 8" to make it a 6 and just use 6" blades. Worked well.

Offline Talltale

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:38 AM »
Farm and fleet has 6 inch hand augers on sale right now for $39.00 , bought one just to have.
Your money is not worth my sanity!

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:05 PM »
Lake County Forest Preserves is a joke. They buy all this land with my(taxpayer) money, and then restrict access. Places like Sun Lake,  Lake Carina, Hastings Lake, etc that I used to be able to ice fish, I can't anymore.
I'm so sick of LCFP's yuppified idea of what a forest preserve should be and their restricting access.

To answer your question, yes that's a weird rule and one probably created by someone that has never ice fished. I would bet rangers patrol rather heavily at the 3 whole locations we're allowed to fish at. I also wouldn't be surprised if they came up with bogus rules like 6" auger and 2 hooks just so they could write tickets.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2018, 10:47 PM »
Are you able to use gas augers? Maybe they tried to restrict the use of gas augers but couldn't get it passed at their board or with the public so instead implemented a 6" rule to eliminate most gas augers.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2018, 10:29 AM »
if i was a guy who's fished these forever and never saw anyone ever, i'd say screw it.  if i had never fished them before and don't know what to expect?  i wouldn't chance it. 

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2018, 12:56 PM »
I fished these places before they were forest preserves. Now tjat they are and ice fishing isn't allowed there's not a chance I would. All it takes is one tattle tale and a Ranger having a bad day.

if i was a guy who's fished these forever and never saw anyone ever, i'd say screw it.  if i had never fished them before and don't know what to expect?  i wouldn't chance it.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:15 PM »
DuPage Cty limits fishermen to 2 poles. 10 inch limit on augers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.