Author Topic: Little Lake Sunapee  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
Little Lake Sunapee
« on: Feb 28, 2022, 08:01 PM »
Anything on the internet says Little Lake Sunapee is not worth ice fishing. I haven’t been skunked this season and I’m going to try it tomorrow.
Scouting of this body of water suggests very little ice fishing activity with a majority of action just of the state boat ramp.
If I’m lucky I’ll catch a fish and blow this place up ::)
I’ll report back after the outing but probably not in a timely manner.

Offline Lcabait

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Little Lake Sunapee
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2022, 05:33 AM »
I have had good luck along the right side off the boat launch with garlic scented eggs

Offline MadSledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2022, 07:23 AM »
Well Steam, still busy filleting fish or what? The world needs to know!
Gotta Fishem' All!

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2022, 12:39 PM »
If memory serves me, in the fall of some where around 2014-2016 the state put some retired brood stock in Little Sunapee. I had a very nice one on the ice in winter of 2017. However, these fall brood stockings haven’t been reported since and those fish are likely long gone. State reports a spring stocking and cookie cutter rainbows can be caught year round, in limited numbers. I have been seeing a trend of declining quality in stocked trout in this area. Maybe its just the state putting more into numbers than size? Personally, I would rather catch 1-2 nice trout over 4-5 dinks but thats me.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2022, 03:32 PM »
Great day of fishing but not very exciting catching.  Two of us fished 10 tipups, 6 with shiners and 4 with eggs, from 10am to 2:30pm just out in front of the boat ramp.  All 5 flags on the day were baited with shiners and in about 8 fow. We landed 2 yellow perch, 7" and 9".

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2022, 07:56 PM »
Good for you for going out there and giving it a shot
Tight Lines!

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2022, 09:02 PM »
Still haven’t found a honey hole but getting closer. I went back out again today in the nice weather, some clouds were forecast for the afternoon but none went over me.

Fished 5 tip-ups with shiners in about 9 fow. These resulted in a bunch of flags with two 9 inch and two 12 inch yellow perch landed.

Fished all afternoon and into the evening, started picking up my tip-ups at 6:20

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2022, 09:24 AM »
Ran out of bait yesterday and this looks like it might be my last day of ice fishing this season so going to skip the bait shop and just jig Mascoma this afternoon.
If I can find a place to park.

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2022, 07:56 PM »
Weather was too nice not to get out today so I headed over to Mascoma to jig. Boat ramp parking lot was jammed full and there was a pop up on the spot I was going to target so I headed over to the “ice fishing beach" and dragged past the crowd. Lots of trucks on the ice today. I didn’t start hitting fish until I got under 25 fow. Landed an 18 inch pickerel, 2 small fallfish and and every yellow perch in the area under 7 inches. Only used a buckshot glow with nightcrawler the whole day.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2022, 08:56 AM »
Sounds like a good way to spend a few days, nice report.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2022, 08:14 PM »
Went out again this afternoon to Mascoma. Only jigged and caught a thousand yellow perch, all 6 inches or less.

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2022, 06:59 PM »
Pics from yesterday

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2022, 10:09 AM »
Going to head east from my place in a day or 2 and fish heading that way, probably Newfound at the state boat ramp access, doubt I’ll make it as far as Waukewan. Friday to Massachusetts to the Swift to meet a friend. Don’t worry, I have access to a vehicle that gets 33mpg.

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2022, 07:31 PM »
Nothing on Newfound today, nothing. It was very beautiful and quiet out there today, only human sightings while fishing were a couple on a snowmobile. Unfortunately the spot I marked last night on the gps for fishing today had a bunch of cusk traps already set in the area. Kept moving and punching holes, had a tip up with eggs right along shore a few times in different spots, no flags. For jigging today I learned that steep drops on the bottom below don’t show up on the sonar that great. And ended up only marking 2 fish for the day. No chumming.
Tried this combo:

Maybe the beach at Sunapee tomorrow

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2022, 10:04 PM »
Headed back out to Little Sunapee today. Access at the boat ramp is getting questionable, I won’t be heading back out there again this season. Easy dragging today so I covered more area than previous visits to this lake. Ran 5 tipups with eggs along the shore, no flags.  Tons of little yellow perch on the sonar at all but 3 holes, I stayed at those 3 holes the longest.  Caught a bunch of small yellow perch jigging but nothing else on the jig rod.

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2022, 10:24 AM »
Hit Mascoma for a few hours of jigging yesterday, stayed until the rain picked up around 5 pm. Bunch of small yellow perch, in the same area I fished last time. 
18 inches of ice and 2 shanties still on the water. If the ice holds on mascoma I might get out on it again before storing the ice gear for the season.
Still a ways out from throwing the canoe on the Connecticut for smallies.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2022, 12:11 PM »
Good to see you're keeping at it Mike.  We'll meet up for stripers in a few months, if you want.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.