The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: How Big of a Hole is Too Big for Ice Fishing  (Read 4918 times)

Offline chuckle

• IceShanty Rookie
How Big of a Hole is Too Big for Ice Fishing
« on: Mar 01, 2021, 08:48 PM »

Was out in the Berkshires today and found this hole in the ice. It's approximate dimensions are 30"x48" with 15-20ft of water below it. Fortunately it was marked with some big branches. Unfortunately those branches were sinking thru the day.  With the thaw coming this hole will open up even larger and faster then the smaller ones.

If this freezes over then it becomes even more dangerous for the unsuspecting. 

At least when the Rescue Teams do their training they leave cones and tape off the area.

Stay safe and don't take the ice for granted even if there's 14" under you like we had today.

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How Big of a Hole is Too Big for Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2021, 09:18 PM »
A couple years ago my buddy was drilling a hole when the whole shaft came off the motor and went down the hole in 8’ of water. We had to cut a very large hole in order to lower an anchor (that he happened to have in his truck) to fish it back out.
This was a pond popular with skaters, etc so  we marked the hole the best we could with branches and crossed our fingers.

At least they put sticks in it  ???

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2021, 09:19 PM »
Looks like a spearing hole.... Its marked... All you can do
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2021, 09:37 PM »
ran into holes like that a few weeks ago on a cape cod trout pond. counted 3 of them. could of easily swallowed up a pretty large person. sight fishing they call it but I call it stupid if you ask me.

Offline scooper47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2021, 06:46 AM »
Some of those big holes are for minnow traps. Very frequent at Barton Cove. There are states that prohibit holes over a certain size, but Massachusetts isn't one of them. I once stepped in an 8" hole (drilled by my fishing buddy a few days previously!) and almost broke my ankle.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2021, 06:54 AM »
ran into holes like that a few weeks ago on a cape cod trout pond. counted 3 of them. could of easily swallowed up a pretty large person. sight fishing they call it but I call it stupid if you ask me.

Sight fishing is awesome, try it before you knock it. It’s not like a crapload of 10” auger holes all over the place are not a bunch of ankle breakers anyway, and they are not marked. Plus the minnow trap holes are usually bigger than the sight holes and are all over the place.

Offline sounderlost

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2021, 08:03 AM »
Pretty large for fishing hole. Have seen make shift live wells made like that maybe a well that melted out .

Offline Nmcbean413

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It ain’t over till it’s over
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2021, 08:05 AM »

Was out in the Berkshires today and found this hole in the ice. It's approximate dimensions are 30"x48" with 15-20ft of water below it. Fortunately it was marked with some big branches. Unfortunately those branches were sinking thru the day.  With the thaw coming this hole will open up even larger and faster then the smaller ones.

If this freezes over then it becomes even more dangerous for the unsuspecting. 

At least when the Rescue Teams do their training they leave cones and tape off the area.

Stay safe and don't take the ice for granted even if there's 14" under you like we had today.

Would this happen to be in north county
FLAGGGG!!!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2021, 08:59 AM »
If this was at Onota off of the fish pier, the fire dept was doing some training exercises in that area.  I would expect it marked better by them though.
westernmas on the finder

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2021, 09:42 AM »
some towns have fire departments training for rescue operations. hence the big hole

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2021, 09:55 AM »
Found 5 this size about 5 years ago. Old auger holes opened up in the rain.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2021, 11:16 AM »
Found 5 this size about 5 years ago. Old auger holes opened up in the rain.

This hole was way to big for fishing,  just right for swimming
2 years ago on the last fishable day of onota before ice out
We all got a bit wet getting off anyhow..

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2021, 11:20 AM »
Several of the popular you tube ice fishing guys have made some very cool looking vids on sight fishing through huge rectangular holes like that.
I think uncut was first, a couple more have copied since.
If those holes are in semi-shallow water where sight fishing is possible, that would be my guess.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2021, 04:03 PM »
If the hole is not rectangular with defined corners, but rather round-ish in appearance then I'd say it's an old hole eroded by melt and rain water.
On warm days they grow rather fast.

If it's been marked with branches, it could be a spearing hole or marked by someone that wanted to make sure no one (sled or ATV) doesn't see it.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2021, 04:21 PM »
As far as the law is concerned, only carp and suckers are legal to spear.
I suppose someone might have been after carp or suckers but seems unlikely.

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2021, 08:17 PM »
Sight fishing is awesome, try it before you knock it. It’s not like a crapload of 10” auger holes all over the place are not a bunch of ankle breakers anyway, and they are not marked. Plus the minnow trap holes are usually bigger than the sight holes and are all over the place.
the holes were unmarked and bigger than the one in the op. how big of a hole does one need to set a minnow trap. I use a hole just a little larger than a 10in hole to put my traps in. these sight holes were like 8 10in holes drilled overlapping so a definite Hazzard.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2021, 08:56 PM »
The sucker and smelt traps used in Maine are big and require a large hole to fish. I agree, I use a small minnow trap and it fits right down an 8” hole.

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2021, 09:05 PM »
You can slightly make out the old shape of the shelter around the hole. No doubt sight fishing hole. This is the responsible way to do it.
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline ufirst

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2021, 04:59 AM »
it could be a holding pen to keep the your  catch alive it was common when we would have xtra thick ice   It worked as a group  holding s spot but as the season went on it would open up or freeze over   OR someone is seal hunting  but only a guess

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2021, 06:47 AM »
You can slightly make out the old shape of the shelter around the hole. No doubt sight fishing hole. This is the responsible way to do it.

Yup. 

Offline mrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2021, 05:11 PM »
Must be doing this at Buckley to we were there Sunday and there were branches sticking up we thought it was odd but never went over there . By the ay fishing was slow the best part was when we were leaving some dumb ass tried to drive out on the lake and buried his Jeep right off the launch.(unfortunate for him that me and my buddy both have 4 wheel drive trucks ) we both laughed as we drove away. Can’t fix stupid 🤷🏿‍♂️

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2021, 07:11 PM »
Must be doing this at Buckley to we were there Sunday and there were branches sticking up we thought it was odd but never went over there . By the ay fishing was slow the best part was when we were leaving some dumb ass tried to drive out on the lake and buried his Jeep right off the launch.(unfortunate for him that me and my buddy both have 4 wheel drive trucks ) we both laughed as we drove away. Can’t fix stupid 🤷🏿‍♂️

Wow man that's harsh.  You must never make mistakes ever?  I'm biased...I too have literally buried my vehicle to the rails doing the same thing...I had to pay for a winch out.  Nice of you to pull him out at least.

Offline mrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2021, 07:32 PM »
You  are a true fisherman
This kid pulled into the lot like an A. Hole and had no intention of fishing so there was no way in hell I would pull his dumb ass out. And I mad bad choices in my life and always took care of myself . If you were there I’m sure you would see things differently.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2021, 08:36 PM »
Ah it all makes sense...and I misread your post I thought you did help...in a situation like that I wouldn't have done anything either.  No one helped me but a tow truck! 

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 03, 2021, 08:50 PM »
I can't see why they make Augers with 10'' holes and such, with small kids running around. What are you expecting to catch Alligators?

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2021, 07:46 AM »
I can't see why they make Augers with 10'' holes and such, with small kids running around. What are you expecting to catch Alligators?
i like to cut 3 7 inch holes like a triangle and spud out the middle.... Makes sight fishing or just walleye fishing in general much easier.... You hit the ice with a jiggin rap reeling up a walleye and thats usually all she wrote..... A 10 inch hole is a big help.....
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2021, 08:19 AM »
I rock double 8's for big lakers all the time.  Heres the thing...ice fishing has some inherent dangers all by its self.  You can't bubble wrap ice fishing.  I have a 8 year old who is very good at being mindful of where she is on the ice and I keep a sharp eye...she's never put a foot in a hole. 

Offline TheJigginJerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2021, 09:33 AM »
An alligator? NOPE!  But a hog momma Walleye, YEP.  I caught a 12lb walleye here on Saginaw bay and there is a chance you could hook one 15lbs or more!  Trying getting one of those through a hole smaller then 10 inches.  Could it be done, maybe.  Lets just say you'd be better off cutting your line and moving on.  I would hate to think I hooked a state record walleye and couldn't get it through too small of hole.  Our state record is 17lb+.  Try getting that through a six or eight inch hole!  I have to ask, what size hole do the guys out there who catch 20lb+ lake trout use?  I know there have to be Lakers being caught that big, other then Michigan!  I always here the same thing, what happens if a kid steps in a hole 10 inches.  I guess a better question is why isn't the parent watching the kids closer?  When I took my small kids out onto the ice, I looked the ice over pretty good, looking for big holes, thin ice, etc., etc., etc..  If you are a parent it is "your" responsibility to ensure your kids stay safe, when on the ice, not the guy who happened to be fishing there yesterday!

This is MA. We don’t have any big fish here except for a few places that have pike. The majority of what you’re going to catch here will fit through a 6” hole.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #28 on: Mar 04, 2021, 09:53 AM »
This is MA. We don’t have any big fish here except for a few places that have pike. The majority of what you’re going to catch here will fit through a 6” hole.
Majority of what YOU catch, maybe, lol.  All kidding aside I do fish for big pike and a 6" hole is actually irresponsible to use for the size fish I am after.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Mar 04, 2021, 10:14 AM »
Majority of what YOU catch, maybe, lol.  All kidding aside I do fish for big pike and a 6" hole is actually irresponsible to use for the size fish I am after.

X2.  My largest barely fit through a 8" hole.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.