The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Ice Popping?  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Dschofield91

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have an Ice day!
Ice Popping?
« on: Feb 28, 2021, 04:47 PM »
Today our group fished a pond in Northern Worcester County. We had 16” of ice. The surface was mostly hard, there was an occasional step with some water that was probably low spots in the surface filled in from yesterday’s rain. We experienced something that I have never seen and my father and his friends who all have 50 years of ice fishing under their belt. The surface would occasionally pop, it sounded like a cap gun and small chunks of ice would shoot up to 10ft in the air. I’m thinking it was air pockets being forced out of the surface. It was really something to see, I wish I got video of it. The fishing was slow but a couple impressive fish were caught. Has anyone experienced something like this?

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice Popping?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2021, 06:21 PM »
Nice fish  :thumbsup:

What a strange experience from what you described. Seems like it's pressure build up?

Offline wardo888

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2021, 06:33 PM »
We had the same thing today (in the morning). No chunks of ice but sounded like popcorn all morning

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2021, 07:41 PM »
Some really nice LMB. And for the ice popping which I have experienced before, but not in a long time. And this is probably from some of the residual rain that has found some porous in the ice surface and the water cools down it is contracting and then starts to freeze it expands and you get the popping effect and noises.

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2021, 10:16 AM »
That is strange I had the same thing. Been ice fishing over 40 years never had it happen before. Sounds like there was a bunch of small fire crackers going off. And you could see the divot in the ice. I was in western Ma.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2021, 10:24 AM »
I've heard just the "pings, small "booms'' and grinding noise, usually when the sun starts heating it up. Think it expands and pops air pockets, would be my guess.

Found this that shows some "exploding" ice... :woot:

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2021, 10:25 AM »
That is strange I had the same thing. Been ice fishing over 40 years never had it happen before. Sounds like there was a bunch of small fire crackers going off. And you could see the divot in the ice. I was in western Ma.

I remember fishing a Mass pond years ago where it sounded like explosives going off and the water in your hole would bounce up and down. I seem to remember it did that the most when it was the coldest but it's been so long ago I may not be accurate.

Here's an interesting link that explains a few things.

https://madison.com/wsj/weather/ask-the-weather-guys-why-do-frozen-lakes-make-sounds/article_104a370b-3a4b-598d-984a-9790be7c24c3.html
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2021, 01:24 PM »
Happened to me this year. Loud bangs water splashed 3 or 4 inches out of my hole.
Whatever it was moved me a few times when it happened.

I assumed it was ice smashing together as it was very cold and no warm weather before that day.

I knid of thought it was pretty cool.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2021, 02:55 PM »
I remember fishing a Mass pond years ago where it sounded like explosives going off and the water in your hole would bounce up and down. I seem to remember it did that the most when it was the coldest but it's been so long ago I may not be accurate.

Here's an interesting link that explains a few things.

https://madison.com/wsj/weather/ask-the-weather-guys-why-do-frozen-lakes-make-sounds/article_104a370b-3a4b-598d-984a-9790be7c24c3.html
we witnessed fishing at night for crappies,  I remeber Jon mentioning hes been on a lot of ice, but never heard anything like it..legit blasts under the ice..water bouncing.
I did notice when this happened the  crappies on sonar didnt flinch..
These booms were much different then in the video..I have heard the "whale-esc" noises plenty

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2021, 03:30 PM »
So yes I have experienced a ton of ice noises. My favorite is morning expansion when the sun hits on the big lakes.  You'll hear the dull pinging, which gets louder as the sun rises.  Eventually as the ice expansion continues the ice breaks sometimes creating a wicked loud boom and where I fish brand new ridges.  Had that happen on schroon.  8" of perfect black ice.  Sun rose and the noises started.  The big boom moved the ice up and down at least a foot or 2 and knocked over my heater and vex. 

The night noises from ice expanding from freezing have been similar most nights but what I heard the other night with Matt was unique and maybe due to how thick that ice was.

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2021, 04:11 PM »
 U F O 'S
UNDER THE ICE !  :whistle:

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2021, 04:30 PM »
I've heard just the "pings, small "booms'' and grinding noise, usually when the sun starts heating it up. Think it expands and pops air pockets, would be my guess.

Found this that shows some "exploding" ice... :woot:

I hear these noises quite often but I have never seen it pop and crack like it did in tis video!

Offline JiggerHappy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2021, 10:27 PM »
I have to say, two seasons ago at South Pond I experienced the same thing....one loud pop and the ice 20ft from where I was standing shot 10ft into the air. I swear I thought someone shot a rifle at me from a house across the water. In fact, I thought about calling Brookfield's finest but I knew only a veteran sniper would have made that shot from so far away, so we stayed. So weird. You're not alone.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2021, 03:55 PM »
So yes I have experienced a ton of ice noises. My favorite is morning expansion when the sun hits on the big lakes.  You'll hear the dull pinging, which gets louder as the sun rises.  Eventually as the ice expansion continues the ice breaks sometimes creating a wicked loud boom and where I fish brand new ridges.  Had that happen on schroon.  8" of perfect black ice.  Sun rose and the noises started.  The big boom moved the ice up and down at least a foot or 2 and knocked over my heater and vex. 

The night noises from ice expanding from freezing have been similar most nights but what I heard the other night with Matt was unique and maybe due to how thick that ice was.

Haven't had that level of drops, but I've had numerous times while fishing the ice would drop. Not as much as your experience, but enough to give you a gut check. Usually while sitting in my camp chair, dozing off for a few and POP! now I'm wide awake...
The other sound is the sound of, and the sight of a pressure crack racing across the surface (many times right between my feet).
Fish often enough during the season and you can tell the sounds apart and what they generally mean.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2021, 06:49 AM »
I've seen flat ice turn into 2 foot ridges.  I've watched an entire lake empty, people running everywhere after it happened.  Made me laugh.  My favorite part is how quiet the ice is after the pressure is released.  Should be mentioned this typically only happens on large water.  The ridges at least.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2021, 09:25 AM »
I've seen flat ice turn into 2 foot ridges.  I've watched an entire lake empty, people running everywhere after it happened.  Made me laugh.  My favorite part is how quiet the ice is after the pressure is released.  Should be mentioned this typically only happens on large water.  The ridges at least.

For sure on large lakes. Out here we definitely get pressure ridges on the Great Lakes.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Dschofield91

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have an Ice day!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2021, 12:08 PM »
For sure on large lakes. Out here we definitely get pressure ridges on the Great Lakes.

(Image removed from quote.)

I think most ice fishermen have experienced the loud ice rattling booms and cracks and what I call Star Wars sounds before. What I experienced was nothing like that, it was concentrated localized surface pops like those paper wrapped poppers that came packaged in sawdust when we were kids but sent ice chips airborne.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2021, 12:42 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I was hoping to encounter those out of NY or even Ohio this year but the ice never set up....

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2021, 02:57 PM »
I think most ice fishermen have experienced the loud ice rattling booms and cracks and what I call Star Wars sounds before. What I experienced was nothing like that, it was concentrated localized surface pops like those paper wrapped poppers that came packaged in sawdust when we were kids but sent ice chips airborne.

I’m with you that is exactly what I heard. Not the normal booming and slamming I heard this morning.

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2021, 03:07 PM »
I was hoping to encounter those out of NY or even Ohio this year but the ice never set up....
I would love to try some Erie walleye if my vehicle ever stopped being in the shop lol.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2021, 03:39 PM »
I would love to try some Erie walleye if my vehicle ever stopped being in the shop lol.

Detroit River soon.  Split gas and I'll tow the boat out.  The Tahoe gets 2 mpg with the boat behind it.

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2021, 03:53 PM »
Detroit River soon.  Split gas and I'll tow the boat out.  The Tahoe gets 2 mpg with the boat behind it.
380 gallons one way at that rate. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2021, 09:43 PM »
380 gallons one way at that rate. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Joking aside I do want to go there this year.  Jig big swimbaits for musky around the channels.  Last time I fished St Claire that ride was 12 hours I think.  That's a wild lake too!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.