The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Barehill Ice  (Read 1248 times)

Offline COinMass

• IceShanty Rookie
Barehill Ice
« on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:00 PM »
Last Time I was there was a couple weeks ago and it was 2-4 inches.  Anyone been out more recently and know how thick the ice is?
I'm going out there this week, I'll give an update
Thanks
CO

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Barehill Ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:40 PM »
How's the fishing there generally?
Is it mainly a pickerel pond?
I've never fished it but its close to home for me.

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:19 PM »
I was on Bare Hill Pond in Harvard if that is what you are talking about just yesterday. There was 9-12" all over. Plenty of sleds ripping around. Flags were steady from 10-2 and then slowed down. small pickerel, perch, 1 small bass. Nothing crazy but good times there. Pond was loaded with people, most i have ever seen out there.

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:29 PM »
I was on Bare Hill Pond in Harvard if that is what you are talking about just yesterday. There was 9-12" all over. Plenty of sleds ripping around. Flags were steady from 10-2 and then slowed down. small pickerel, perch, 1 small bass. Nothing crazy but good times there. Pond was loaded with people, most i have ever seen out there.

Well if it's one of those ponds where sleds go ripping around, I can live without it. Especially if it's a small pickerel pond.

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:38 PM »
I think it was a combo of school vacation week, sunny all day, 35 degrees.... perfect day for the average joe to just go hang out. It was real busy.

Great bass pond in the summer months. I know a buddy who pulled an 8lb larry through the ice a couple years back but i havent had great luck in winter.

Offline COinMass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2021, 01:14 PM »
Good to know, thanks for the update.

According to the state their is Crappie in there, but I can't confirm that myself!
Figure I'll give it a shot before the warm up next week!
Thanks for all the help
CO

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2021, 01:44 PM »
Good to know, thanks for the update.

According to the state their is Crappie in there, but I can't confirm that myself!
Figure I'll give it a shot before the warm up next week!
Thanks for all the help
CO

One of the guys I was with did catch a crappie, so they are in there but it was a first for everyone at Bare Hill.

Offline DanR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2021, 06:29 PM »
I’ve seen a couple of 4-lb+ come off a hump out in the middle of Bare Hill.  There are nice bass around for sure.

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2021, 07:53 AM »
are they still drawing it down? started a decade ago..ruined the place. got rid of milfoil in draw down, to be replaced by 'natural' weeds. and where did all the millfoil come from?? bass boats for all the tourneys they have. dopes..
burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2021, 09:18 AM »
are they still drawing it down? started a decade ago..ruined the place. got rid of milfoil in draw down, to be replaced by 'natural' weeds. and where did all the millfoil come from?? bass boats for all the tourneys they have. dopes..
burp
I checked it out in December before the ice was safe. It sure looked drawn down to me. I'm not a regular user so not 100% sure it wasn't just extremely low for other reasons.

I stopped by for a look during late summer and the pond was closed due to an algae outbreak, the dangerous blue-green kind. The water looked like pea soup. Nasty. I remember it being a really clean pond for swimming back in when I was a kid.

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2021, 02:50 PM »
I was out there on the 21st with a local who said he was surprised at how high the water was. I am not sure if that was an indication they didnt draw as much or if they did it filled back up before it froze over. Either way, looking at some rocks on the island it looked to be about 2' below the normal level or at least the water marks on the rocks.

Always have good luck bass fishing in the summer there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.