Author Topic: Keeping holes open, great idea  (Read 144731 times)

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Keeping holes open, great idea
« Reply #150 on: Nov 17, 2008, 04:59 PM »
For tip-ups, I always use the thermal tip-ups. I forget who makes them, but they're orange with about 3/4" of styrofoam insulation in them. They just barely fit into a 5 gallon bucket for transportation. It has to be a VERY cold day to freeze the holes over with one of those. My jig holes are almost always inside the shanty with the heater, so they don't freeze either.

Dave

Offline hunterhill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #151 on: Dec 12, 2008, 07:52 PM »
  The black frizbe does work, I use the black lid off foldger coffe cans(the plastic cans).  They are realy cheep if you drink coffee...
All I do is cut a 2" hole in the middle and let my line threw the hole and place the lid on the hole no freezeup.... If its windy I put snow and ice in a pile on the up wind side.  Also my son Dillon who is 9 says if it fits threw the hole dad we take it home for poorman shrimp ha ha ha.... ;D ;D ;D :icefish:

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #152 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:54 PM »
I use old rubber floor mats cheep plentiful and they work.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #153 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:37 PM »
I just bought a 5' section of black rubber floor matting for around 12 bucks, should make enough covers for 10 tipups I figure.

Offline windflag77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Live for Ice Fishing
« Reply #154 on: Dec 21, 2008, 09:36 AM »
Yes these are good products!!

*ww.sportsmansguide.com

product #

WX1-59919
just wondering if you left out a number for the Product? i wasn't able to bring anything up with this # and the other two products were $4.97 each and didn't match the product # you listed. thanks
FLAAAAG!!!!!!!!!!

Offline icefisher 21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #155 on: Dec 23, 2008, 02:03 PM »
i think the best way is to use styrofoam  buy it a joanns fabics in a block and cut it 2in bigger than your hole and stick it in there

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #156 on: Dec 23, 2008, 06:22 PM »
How about checking your holes every once in a while and cleaning them out when checking them?

I am so sick of listening to people talking about putting chemicals in the water. I know most guys just say it to get a rise out of us, but I'm sure there are guys out there that don't care about too much and actually do it. 

To you guys that really do put that stuff in the water,,, How about you drink it and see how you feel after a big swig!!
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline MLR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #157 on: Jan 04, 2009, 09:30 PM »
pikeking

would you drink the water out of your ice fishing hole without any chemicals poured into it?

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #158 on: Jan 04, 2009, 09:36 PM »
pikeking

would you drink the water out of your ice fishing hole without any chemicals poured into it?
in the lakes i usually fish? i would.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #159 on: Jan 06, 2009, 04:57 PM »
im with pike king....sort of..im all about checking holes alot...i often get bit after skimming the hole and giving that minnow a lift.  I think that sometimes fish are hanging out and that minnow plays a little possum.....but there are some of those windy cold days that all you would be doing would be walking and skimming with no time for jigging....so i like the black rubber mat idea.  just make sure whatever goes onto the ice, comes back in with you.  I remember we used to build some wind blocks out of 6inch square hardboard 'hinged' together with a piece of rubber.  Put on the up wind side of the hole, this helpped with the snow blowing the hole shut.....

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #160 on: Oct 14, 2009, 03:34 PM »
Bump, to make that mofish guy happy.............
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #161 on: Oct 15, 2009, 11:08 PM »
for leaving the holes open a few days i use the battery operated vibrating discs for duck hunting.... i already have them for hunting and they make the water move so no freezing!
just drop one in each hoe and lock the house come back three days later and make sure the batteries are still goin
EK

Offline ICE KID

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got perch?
« Reply #162 on: Dec 19, 2009, 05:08 PM »
table or fine grained salt works pretty well,just take some and sprinkle it in and around the hole, no pollution,fairly cheap, also, in shallow water, it kind of tastes or smells like blood to fish, and I guess it can sometimes turn inactive fish active,kind of like how sharks go "on the hunt' when they smell or taste real blood and will follow the blood trail to it's dinner.
give me 5 good reasons to head home and I'll pretend to consider it.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #163 on: Dec 20, 2009, 07:09 PM »
for leaving the holes open a few days i use the battery operated vibrating discs for duck hunting.... i already have them for hunting and they make the water move so no freezing!
just drop one in each hoe and lock the house come back three days later and make sure the batteries are still goin
EK

Im not a duck hunter. What are these discs you speak of?

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #164 on: Dec 21, 2009, 11:49 AM »
Im not a duck hunter. What are these discs you speak of?

Stump,

These discs are about the size of a Tuna Fish can but a tad thicker. The top unscrews so that you can add batteries. They float and when activated are suppose to send out small wakes to simulate Duck activity upon the water.  :tipup:

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #165 on: Dec 21, 2009, 11:52 AM »
Any idea who makes them?

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #166 on: Dec 21, 2009, 12:26 PM »
Any idea who makes them?

Hmmmm, I have two, one is black the other grey. Think they are manufactured by different companies... but I am not sure who they are Stump... sorry bout that. You might wanna send Maineduckblaster a PM, he may know....

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #167 on: Dec 23, 2009, 04:41 PM »
Found them at cabelas,Thanks!!! Look like they might be the ticket!! How many hrs do you get out of a set of batteries?

Offline nickabod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #168 on: Jan 04, 2010, 07:51 PM »
I know on a fishing show a long time ago the guys sprayed their lures with WD-40 because they said it kills the scent of your hands on the bait. They were catching fish but who knows how valid it is that the WD-40 helped in that.

I caught the biggest steelhead of my life with wd-40 on the yarn ball. broke my ugly stick and everything. I'll bring some nest time i'm on the ice.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #169 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:13 AM »
I caught the biggest steelhead of my life with wd-40 on the yarn ball. broke my ugly stick and everything. I'll bring some nest time i'm on the ice.
Its not the same formula anymore, used to have fish oil, now its just a toxic mixture.

Offline ripalip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #170 on: Dec 01, 2010, 08:49 PM »
Hay works great for keeping a hole from freezing solid for a long time, it isnt water soluble so it doesnt sink, and is fairly ecofriendly, also its cheap or free. Ive seen alot of holes around here that seem to be a hay/sawdust mix as well. . nice not to drill everytime if you tend to hit the same spots.

Offline amcmullen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I may be obsessed...
« Reply #171 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:33 PM »
Wow! seven years and still going strong.  I recently heard of a guy using a coffee can burner with sand and waste oil.  Then using it like the charcoal burner.  Anyone ever hear of this?  I don't think using used oil is too eco-friendly; however the concept could be used with clean burning fuels. 
I'm cold and I like it

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #172 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:23 PM »
gander mountain sells a battery operated disc for ice fishing that creates a small wake in the hole.. not sure how long it lasts though, would imagine quite a while

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #173 on: Dec 16, 2010, 04:44 PM »
i was in gander today and they had fan like things that are suppose to keep your hole open. it was $9.99 and used 4 AA batteries.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #174 on: Dec 18, 2010, 06:48 PM »
I wonder what would happen if....... (how many bad things have occured after these words were uttered) LOL Im just mulling over an idea here.

What if, you took a 16oz soda bottle and filled it a quarter of the way up with table salt, and maybe a pebble or 3 for weight, then poked some real small holes in the bottle in a few places and left it floating in the jig hole overnight? (Maybe tie a string to the bottle so it doesnt sink too)

Would the extra saltiness oozing out of the bottle pin holes be enough to keep the water in the hole from completely freezing?

Or am I just too damn tired to think straight...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #175 on: Dec 20, 2010, 09:32 AM »
to what temp will those vibrating disks keep it open to?
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #176 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:30 AM »
Many times I'll just have a pot of hot water on the cooker then periodically grab a cup of hot water & throw it in the hole.  More quiet than the aereators.

Offline arcticat500

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I fish, therefore I'm broke...and hungry!
« Reply #177 on: Jan 09, 2011, 12:14 AM »
Metal coffee can, toiletpaper roll, bottle of isopropyl alcohol.  Soak the toilet paper, light it up.  Burns the alcohol only, not the paper.  Works great as a hut heater as well with no fumes.  Burns for hours and hours.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #178 on: Jan 09, 2011, 09:01 AM »
I heard that vegetable oil works but never tried it!
Catching Any?

Offline amcmullen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I may be obsessed...
« Reply #179 on: Jan 09, 2011, 02:02 PM »
Metal coffee can, toiletpaper roll, bottle of isopropyl alcohol.  Soak the toilet paper, light it up.  Burns the alcohol only, not the paper.  Works great as a hut heater as well with no fumes.  Burns for hours and hours.
Genius!  Keep the lid and replace after the thing cools.  That thing would be easy to use and would keep the holes open when placed near the hole with the warmed water.  Does it stay lit in windy weather?
I'm cold and I like it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.