Author Topic: Best size slender spoon?  (Read 5948 times)

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best size slender spoon?
« on: Dec 07, 2011, 10:23 PM »
I've finally had a chance to squirrel away some money for a few Slender spoons, and got my color's all picked out -

The question is, which size?  The 1/8th or the 1/4? 

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
Re: Best size slender spoon?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2011, 03:41 AM »
I have had very good luck with the 1/8 size.  I am primarily targeting crappies with that size slender spoon, but I have caught an awful lot of perch on them too.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2011, 08:28 AM »
One thing I've found over the years for any panfish is that smaller is rarely bad. If they're hitting anything in their face, size doesn't matter. If they're a bit on the tentative side they may look at a big presentation but often will taste something smaller

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2011, 08:30 AM »
ive been looking at these too does anyone have any suggestions for colors

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2011, 04:18 PM »
I just picked up a couple of the smallest size. I seem to be doing more fishing in stained water, and gold is always good for me there. Add your favorite colors, I tend to like orange, red and chartreuse, but find that different lakes and ponds sometimes require flexibility.

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2011, 04:20 PM »
Me, personally, I'd go the 1/8th, 5/16th max.  I actually fish the 1/16th oz a lot for crappies and perch and do well.  It kind of depends on where you are fishing.  I'd opt for bigger presentations if it's large deep mud flats, smaller presentations for particular structure, weedlines, shallow sand flats, etc.

I like gold with gold chartreuse for crappies.  If I were specifically targeting perch I would opt for something with orange in it, either the gold/orange or copper/orange.  Perch seem to prefer orange on the lakes I fish.  Either that or it's just a confidence thing since I tend to use something with orange in it for perch most of the time!

Offline mote1977

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2011, 09:05 PM »
I would go with the 1/8 or 1/16 for perch. The 1/4 is really big for it's weight since it's so thin. If you fish deeper water go for the 5/16. It's the same size as the 1/8, just thicker metal.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2011, 09:12 PM »
Thanks for all the help gang, I was thinking the 1/8 or 5/16 would be the ticket.  Most of my fishing is less than 40', so I'll grab mostly 1/8s and a couple 5/16.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.