Author Topic: Epoxy jigs  (Read 6288 times)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Epoxy jigs
« on: Oct 08, 2017, 08:02 AM »
Some guys were talking about epoxy jigs on a different thread and I was wondering how fast they drop compared to lead and tungsten.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Epoxy jigs
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2017, 05:31 PM »
Epoxy jigs are tungsten jigs if I'm not mistaken. At least all my Fiskas are anyways. So they should fall at the same rate as a tungsten jig compared to a lead jig. They just have an epoxy finish rather than a painted one.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2017, 06:14 PM »
Honestly I'm not sure what kind of "epoxy jig" is in question. It could be a number of things. Since the question is fall rate I'll guess it questions the performance of what I'll call tungsten filled epoxy. This is a common method to manufacture lower cost "tungsten" jigs.

Performance wise I'd say they fall in between lead and higher quality scintered tungsten. Actual performance would depend on the ratio of tungsten to epoxy (the bonding agent). These are the same jigs that do not lend themselves to powder paint as the heat required to apply the paint softens and sometimes permanently damages the epoxy.

Lots of variables apply to fall rate. Diameter of line, volume vs mass of the jig, jig dressing and probably other stuff.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2017, 07:01 AM »
I was reading in another topic about jigs and saw someone mentioned the Clam and TNT epoxy jigs, which is what spawned my question about the drop rate.  I don't know how these jigs are made so I presented the question. 

Time to think about jigs topic:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=347631.0

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2017, 09:40 AM »
i use the top brands (other than clam if any one thinks they are of the top brand) and the hooks are fragile if not removed correctly and that's why i use the "tooth pick" to remove stubborn or semi stubborn hook sets. bentley hooks seem to be the most fragile. i read some one can straighten his fiska hook out, but all of mine would always break before being able to bend them.

some thing to think about as for drop rate would be to measure the brands to know if they are heavier or not. some thing else to think about is if it has to be a certain size because that is how they are sold, then adding a thick layer of epoxy would either make it bigger if they used the same size base jig size or smaller to make the finished product the correct size. if it is the later than it would be lighter because it would have less tungsten.
if they use the correct size base jig and then add epoxy, then the epoxy should drop faster and then if they add features like raised eyes or beads or jewels ect those should fall even faster.
the bentley's have their own design and seem stretched out more then tear drop in design. a friend i chat with here in the pm's says to stay away from bentley junk, but i like their design and they are my go to jigs. problem with them is you have to buy in small bundles and you can't buy just the color you want so if you break or loose it you have to buy another set of all their colors to replace the lost/broken color.

i prefer epoxy over paint because they don't get scratched or chipped like paint does. and the glow works much better than paint glow does by far and holds it's charge much longer than painted versions.

some more about drop rate is how many spikes you use and placement of them or plastic/artificial size and shape and your line used and the reel and the design/shape of the jig and if your rod guides are icing and the angle of the reel to the first guide and the first guides size and the brand of line if it is absorbing water or not and what it is coated with and made of.
if the bait is not centered they will cork screw and i think this means it takes even longer to get to the same depth as one that drops straight.

i never use lead because they are too slow. if you haven't tried them yet your in for a surprise! the catch rate goes up by far. they use a smaller wire hook and this means smaller barb and easier to hide and much sharper. this also means less damage to live bait and can live longer. this saves money too because your not freshening up your bait as often.
they drop a lot faster than lead so when your in a school of fish you can get down to them faster and keep them there longer. the deeper the water, the more this all adds up for you getting more fish on ice.

a buddy said he would never pay more than 1$ for a jig until i was out fishing him and he went out and spent 500$ on tungsten because he hates to be out fished.

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2017, 02:25 PM »
i prefer epoxy over paint because they don't get scratched or chipped like paint does. and the glow works much better than paint glow does by far and holds it's charge much longer than painted versions.

Can i ask 3300, what kind of epoxy paint do you use?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2017, 12:43 AM »
i buy all of my jigs all ready painted.
kodiak and fiska and bentley are my favorite jigs.
epoxy is the stronger of the paints and glow best.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2017, 08:24 AM »
Does it take the epoxy jigs longer to charge up?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2017, 10:07 AM »
i didn't notice any difference in charge time chris. the uv wavelength is important in the speed and performance of charging glo paints. most uv lights are just under 400 nm.
here's a link to some.
https://www.amazon.com/UV-lights/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AUV%20lights

this one is popular and cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-Fsmart-Scorpion-Detector-Ultraviolet/dp/B01BUTI8G2/ref=sr_1_85?ie=UTF8&qid=1510330281&sr=8-85&keywords=UV+lights

uv info
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:03 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Have you noticed if they glow longer than other jigs and if so is it a noticeable time longer?  To clarify my question, when I originally read about the "epoxy jigs" I thought they were made of epoxy and didn't realize it's the paint that's the epoxy, hence my question of if the epoxy jigs fall faster than other jigs.  Sorry for leaving you guys wondering what I was asking about.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2017, 10:26 AM »
yes they hold their charge longer and seem brighter. the color(s) used makes a difference too, besides what you charge them with.
probably because it must be a thicker paint.

after you pick some up and use them you'll see a difference. try to find blue glo.

Online Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2018, 12:35 AM »
yes they hold their charge longer and seem brighter. the color(s) used makes a difference too, besides what you charge them with.
probably because it must be a thicker paint.

after you pick some up and use them you'll see a difference. try to find blue glo.

Custom Jigs and Spins has the blue glow check the sponsors on the home page       

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2018, 11:05 AM »
I would think if you had 2- 3mm jigs one exoxy and one painted the painted one would weigh more and therefore would sink faster.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.