Author Topic: Socks  (Read 5448 times)

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Socks
« on: Sep 25, 2006, 10:25 PM »
i was wondering everyones thought on socks?
do you layer? or just one pair with good boots? also if you do layer, what do you use for a base ???

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Socks
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2006, 05:13 AM »
I have heavy wool socks that I wear with good boots. It gets the job done :)
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2006, 05:56 AM »
quality boot's with wool socks. I've come to the conclusion that if it's really cold out my feet will be also :'( Now I just deal with it.
         Jim

hali-man

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2006, 06:25 AM »
I have always used a pair of cotton socks with a pair of wool over them. But I'm going to get some liner "wicking" socks to replace the cotton this year.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2006, 06:31 AM »
i have smartwool; the light, med, and heavy weight. i wear the heavy mostly because their over the calf. my boots have a poly liner so only 1 pair of socks needed  :)

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2006, 06:42 AM »
I have always used a pair of cotton socks with a pair of wool over them. But I'm going to get some liner "wicking" socks to replace the cotton this year.

Me too D-man !! ive always heard to keep away from cotton but my feet seem to sweat really bad without a cotton sock under my wool  :-\ I have some wool blend socks that I can wear without the cotton but they dont keep me any warmer.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2006, 06:49 AM »
I always use a pair of polypropylene liner socks under a pair of polartec 300 weight socks. This set up has served me well for the last 4 years. I wear pac boots also(Sorels or Predator Extremes(aka Herman Munster boots)).
Ken                                          

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2006, 07:09 AM »
I use Carhart socks. They are warm and thick.          Ron
Bobberstop

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2006, 08:24 AM »
what is a good wicking sock ??? i also wear cotton under wool, i hate the feel of the wool on my skin, i also wear 1,000 gram lacrosse alpha burly rubber boots on the ice, nice and warm, plus water proof on those slushy days :tipup:

Offline Redbeard1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2006, 08:43 AM »
what is a good wicking sock ???

I used polypro wicking socks, very cheap,2 bucks at Wally world.   just make sure to never put them in the dryer.  I've switchd to the cold gear socks since, but the polys work great.
PATRICK

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2006, 08:55 AM »
I used polypro wicking socks, very cheap,2 bucks at Wally world.   just make sure to never put them in the dryer.  I've switchd to the cold gear socks since, but the polys work great.

the under armour cold gear ???

Offline Redbeard1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2006, 09:07 AM »
the under armour cold gear ???

Yeah- funny how much Cold Gear keeps showing up on the forum this year! If you can afford it, the stuff is the best!
PATRICK

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2006, 09:20 AM »
Yeah- funny how much Cold Gear keeps showing up on the forum this year! If you can afford it, the stuff is the best!

heck, even if you cant afford it, try, if your in the outdoors alot, the price is pretty small for comfort :tipup:

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2006, 09:41 AM »
ditto on the wicking socks with some good wool ones on top,  there are lots of brands our there..just stay away from cotton.  At night, make sure you dry your boots out. (and keep you feet out of those old holes!)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2006, 06:12 PM »
I just wear regular cotton socks under my La Crosse Ice Kings.

I quit smoking about five years ago, before that I fought with cold hands and feet constantly. I don't know if there is a connection, but there is definitely a HUGE difference! I never get cold feet anymore. ???

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 26, 2006, 09:21 PM »
I just wear regular cotton socks under my La Crosse Ice Kings.

I quit smoking about five years ago, before that I fought with cold hands and feet constantly. I don't know if there is a connection, but there is definitely a HUGE difference! I never get cold feet anymore. ???

smoking cause bad circulation of the blood, bad circulation prevents the blood flowing easily through the far extremities, and the blood exchange also brings heat, you may have also noticed a constant tingly sensation in your toes and fingertips as well, at least i do :-\

the problem i have with cotton is i wear very warm boots, and even in freezing weather my feet sweat, the cotton holds the moisture and when my feet cool down the freeze inside my boots, which makes for a olong day :'( but whats worse than freezing feet is when the sweats just stays all day and with my constant walking i get that pruning effect and then the skin rips, and that is long term pain, the freezing goes away 10 minutes after your in the car, sore, ripped, blistered feet to someone who is always on their feet, pulling a shanty, hunting and fall/winter steelhead fishing is a killer :tipup:

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Sep 27, 2006, 07:30 PM »
the sweats just stays all day and with my constant walking i get that pruning effect and then the skin rips, and that is long term pain, the freezing goes away 10 minutes after your in the car, sore, ripped, blistered feet

:sick: :sick: :sick: ]

smoking cause bad circulation of the blood, bad circulation prevents the blood flowing easily through the far extremities, and the blood exchange also brings heat, you may have also noticed a constant tingly sensation in your toes and fingertips as well, at least i do :-\

You are right about the tingling, but it went away as soon as I quit smoking. Quitting is a decision that I DO NOT regret!
It will be five years this November, and I have no intentions of relapsing. :)

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 27, 2006, 08:59 PM »
I,m a smoker!  :( You might have nailed it Skipper! My feet are okay, but the hands freeze!  ??? I've been honestly trying to quit! Money,health,smell  and now one more goal, COMFORT!  :)  When FISHING!  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.