Author Topic: Wool Socks?  (Read 3368 times)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Wool Socks?
« on: Sep 13, 2012, 07:16 AM »
Hi guys, i did a quick search here on Iceshanty and came across a few posts suggesting the Lifetime Socks from BassPro.
I love the idea that they have a lifetime guarantee. My problem is this.

In the reviews people complain about them wearing out pretty quick. However thats negated by the free replacement.
I live 75miles from the closest BPS, so a 150mi round trip is going to cost me over $20 just in gas. Doesnt make much sense to replace a $10 pair of socks.
The other option is to ship them back, however with the high gas prices im looking at roughly 8-10$ in shipping.
So either way im basically just buying another pair (or 2 if i drive), just to get them there.

Are there any other more durable socks that people have used? I dont mind paying a little extra if it means they will last a couple seasons.

I also read a tip about creating a liner in your boot made of Reflectix. Has anyone done this? What were the results?
I did a search on it but couldn't find anything related to boots, was mostly shanty mods.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
Re: Wool Socks?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2012, 09:37 AM »
SmartWool makes some good ones. But if you have to drive 75 miles to the nearest BPS that gives you an excuse to buy more gear while you are there since you dont know when you will be back. ;) ;)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2012, 10:54 AM »
Saw some Browning socks at Miejers the other day with lifetime warranty.  85 % marino wool and 15 % spandex for $12.97.  They had pink insignia and were too small.  Most lifetime warranties are, "we figure you won't bring em back warranties", IMO. 

I've had this same pair of socks for years, held up well. I think any wool sock is going to wear through at some point or another, but remember, it's a natural fiber, not a man-made synthetic.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2012, 11:57 AM »
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2012, 06:37 AM »
I have 7 pairs of those pro bass socks, used them for 3 years summer and winter . Best socks out there . cool in summer and very warm in winter. brought them back because they were starting to go thin from washing as all socks do.
No paper work needed when returned them ,they did not even look at them or ask why ,they just counted them and said go get 7 new pair. Paid around $16. each   Will never have to pay for socks again.  3 hrs from my place to the store.  Stop in there when ever I am passing by for anouther reason.
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2012, 07:28 AM »
Wigwam makes a great durable wool sock. I wear mine daily for work, on the weekend for fishing. Very well made.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2012, 07:40 AM »
ski shops have the smart wool, i get the ones made for snowboarding. if you dont have the warmest boots, filson makes a very good wool sock that lasts for years and years and its one of the warmest ones out there, i wear a pair fall winter and spring, just changing the boot to match the season

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2012, 11:06 PM »
Darn tough from vermont has been my favorite sock for the past few years, plenty warm and lifetime guarantee.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2012, 11:48 PM »
Smartwool for sure.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2012, 12:04 AM »
Wigwam is good so are cabelas branded socks same life time warranty on cabelas under there 100%satisfaction guarantee. I think I got mine from Wal-Mart my wigwams that or Meijer’s.

Offline Burtess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2012, 08:00 PM »
Wigwam makes a great durable wool sock. I wear mine daily for work, on the weekend for fishing. Very well made.

Wigwam is good so are cabelas branded socks same life time warranty on cabelas under there 100%satisfaction guarantee. I think I got mine from Wal-Mart my wigwams that or Meijer’s.

Wigwam "The Ice Sock" http://www.wigwam.com/Products/The-Ice-Sock_ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=d21d74de-fa96-dd11-9fb3-001d091bb843 is the warmest I have found for both ice fishing and wading in the cold.

The high initial price of those BPS socks really negates the lifetime warranty....

Burt :)

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2012, 01:15 AM »
I've been wearing the same 4 pair of Wigwam Expedition socks for years (deer season and ice fishing). I wear a polypropylene liner sock underneath to wick away moisture and they work great. The heels are a little thin, but the rest of the sock is like new. Without the liner sock, they itch way too much.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline MLBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2012, 09:58 PM »
Darn Tough Vermont x2

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2013, 04:00 AM »
I'm a wigwam man wear their comfort hiker model to work the heal area usually wears out first, for ice fishing I use the forty below model with a coolmax linersock.

Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.