Author Topic: Columbia Bugathermo heated boots  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Columbia Bugathermo heated boots
« on: Oct 24, 2010, 09:20 AM »
I was just reading through my lastest fishing magazine that arrived and in it I saw this add for these Columbia heated, rechargeable boots.    Does anyone know much about these boots?  Does the heating system actually work well?  Are they water proof?  The only thing I know is what I read and it stated that these boots wont need recharging for up to 5 hours of use.

Thanks
Aaron

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Columbia Bugathermo heated boots
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2010, 09:30 AM »
Hey man, these are brand new, I dont think they have been on the ice yet. They look great to me, Columbia makes a nice product but I think i will come back to them after i hear some on ice reviews.

I have been using my Cabelas Trans Alaskans for two seasons with no complaint

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2010, 03:11 PM »
5 hours of use.....then what???  Will they keep your feet warm for 8 hours??  10 hours??
Been using my Mickey Mouse boots for 10 years....feet ALWAYS warm (and DRY)!!!  Get yourself some MICKEYS.....you won't be sorry!!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2010, 10:00 AM »
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/10/14/columbia-footwear-now-selling-bugathermo-rechargable2c-heated2c-boots-.aspx

overall rating -25F/-32C. This is without even turning the heating element on.

have three settings, Low, Medium and High; each of these settings provides a different level of heat and also affects your battery life. When running on low the heating element can generate up to 113F/45C of internal heat [at the heating pad], this gives you an estimated battery life of about eight hours. On Medium you get a toasty 122F/50C and roughly six hours of battery.  If you are so cold as to need the high setting you are looking at an almost uncomfortable 140F/60C and four hours. The temperature setting is controlled through a button on the side, next to this button is a set of three lights that indicate the temperature level you are currently on.

***** http://gearjunkie.com/Columbia-Bugathermo-and-Snow-Hottie-boots

In short, Columbia has missed the aforementioned Holy Grail by a long shot. The Bugathermos are clunky and uncomfortable. Design flaws include a bad fit on the top of the midfoot area, where boot flex causes material to fold over and press into your foot. Fit around the calves was uncomfortable and loose on long hikes.
And the embedded heaters? I could barely feel the warmth. When hiking on a 10-degree day with the heat turned on for one foot, but off for the other, my feet felt about the same.
To be sure, Thinsulate insulation keeps these boots warm. I could walk in the snow for long periods on zero-degree days with no issue. But the internal heater, powered by lithium-polymer batteries, was almost unnoticeable.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2010, 10:57 AM »
[In short, Columbia has missed the aforementioned Holy Grail by a long shot. The Bugathermos are clunky and uncomfortable. Design flaws include a bad fit on the top of the midfoot area, where boot flex causes material to fold over and press into your foot. Fit around the calves was uncomfortable and loose on long hikes.
And the embedded heaters? I could barely feel the warmth. When hiking on a 10-degree day with the heat turned on for one foot, but off for the other, my feet felt about the same.
To be sure, Thinsulate insulation keeps these boots warm. I could walk in the snow for long periods on zero-degree days with no issue. But the internal heater, powered by lithium-polymer batteries, was almost unnoticeable.

I just caught a glimpse of these in the local Gander Mt. flyer and honestly wouldnt pay the over $300 price tag for them after reading this. There are plenty of boots on the market that will keep your feet warm for way less.

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2010, 12:42 PM »
$300 WOW!!!!  That's a definite no for me.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2010, 03:10 PM »
Yeah, I'll stick to my Micky's..  Best $30 I have spent on warm feet....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.