Author Topic: Ice fishing boots question  (Read 7153 times)

Offline Altonbayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • of all liars; fisherman are the most trustworthy.
Ice fishing boots question
« on: Feb 11, 2010, 04:07 PM »
Today was a sad day when I looked down to see my beloved 16 year old Sorel Dominators had a catastophic failure (the whole rubber side split in three directions.  Since I'm on the hunt for a new boot; I was wondering if anybody could recommend a boot that I could love as much as the Dominators?  BTW fished Alton Bay today-slooow.   Thanks

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice fishing boots question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2010, 04:12 PM »
I would say cabelas guide series they come in an aray of insulations and are gore tex. I have had 2 pairs and love them to death. I wore them everywhere and wore the sole off them I wore them so much. But pretty much anything Cabelas I have had luck with and they stand by their products.
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day"

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2010, 05:15 PM »
Cabelas predator extremes :tipup: 150 below zero ratings. ;)
Jig em up!

Offline jackinthebobhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2010, 05:35 PM »
Today was a sad day when I looked down to see my beloved 16 year old Sorel Dominators had a catastophic failure (the whole rubber side split in three directions.  Since I'm on the hunt for a new boot; I was wondering if anybody could recommend a boot that I could love as much as the Dominators?  BTW fished Alton Bay today-slooow.   Thanks

Muck boots.........you can get them direct from the muckboot company. I bought a pair this year, and I love them. Your feet stay warm and dry all day. I hunt in them, and ice fish in them. Best boots I ever owned. I walk through swamps during deer season up to my knees and no leaks. They are neoprene and very comfortable. If you do get them, get the Artic version or the Woody Max version.

Jack

Offline Orion7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2010, 05:42 PM »
I agree I love my muck boots.  But I have recently heard that the "Baffin Boots" are great for warmth.  I don't know about slush though...

Offline ADK NH GUY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2010, 06:14 PM »
mucks all the way man.  Buy the arctic version and all you will need is an athletic sock.  If you hunt you can even hunt in them just wear a light sock.
A mans Shanty is his Castle

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2010, 06:16 PM »
I wear Lacrosse Alpha burlys deer hunting & Icefishing.they are plenty warm.  :)

Offline NHIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2010, 06:19 PM »
I have some Sorrel/Kamic Arctic somethingorothers and they work great as long as the slush isnt 12" plus.  ALways stay warm and dry.  Can never have too many pairs of good ice fishing boots :)   

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2010, 06:24 PM »
stay away from the sorel caribou boots - and maybe ANY sorel brand boots!!!  years ago they were great and built up an incredible reputation, but they're no longer made in CA...they're made in china now.  i bought a pair back in december....the second time i wore them in slush the left boot started to get wet while i was drilling holes.  very disappointed. 

i've heard nothing but good things about the muck boots...

Offline ADK NH GUY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2010, 06:26 PM »
stay away from the sorel caribou boots - and maybe ANY sorel brand boots!!!  years ago they were great and built up an incredible reputation, but they're no longer made in CA...they're made in china now.  i bought a pair back in december....the second time i wore them in slush the left boot started to get wet while i was drilling holes.  very disappointed. 

i've heard nothing but good things about the muck boots...
My Sorels are exactly the same way.  Love them if there isnt a lot of slush but otherwise forget them.  My mucks are perfect and my feet stay incredibly warm. 
A mans Shanty is his Castle

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2010, 07:16 AM »
I have a pair of Kamik boots that i wore maybe 30-40 times last winter and the 2nd time i wore then this year the rubber split away from where it was sewn onto the leather=Maybe a cobbler can sew up both boots for the 1 1/2"  spot where this happened? I now went with LL Bean pack boots- Unfortunately they are made in China but the lifetime warranty is my buying point. These ll Bean pack boots are too warm in reality my feet sweat in them.

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2010, 07:28 AM »
I bought a pair of Ranger extremes last year. Keep the leather treated and your good to go in slush or drilling holes. My main problem has been my feet will sweat if I wear anything cotton, then get chilled. Bought a pair of thin Poly socks and wear my smart wools, never cold feet. Friend of mine has Cabelas guide series pack boots, never has cold feet or wet for that matter. If they drop the Price a little I may look at them when my Rangers wear out. Bought Sorels about five years ago, never again, fell apart in a year...

Offline Fishsavage

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The phrase "Last cast" means "Not leaving"
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2010, 07:55 AM »

These boots are great, just be careful driving these boots are pretty wide and your foot may be touching the gas pedal and brake at the same time  :o

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2010, 07:58 AM »
I now went with LL Bean pack boots

that's what i would do in a heartbeat (cannot beat a lifetime warranty), but they don't come in size 15  >:( >:( >:(

Offline diz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2010, 08:27 AM »
Just picked up a pair of LL Bean boots bout 3 weeks ago and love them wicked warm

Offline mcl79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:20 AM »
Don't buy the Lacrosse Ice Kings they are now Made in China and are poor quality.  My friend has a pair that were his father's made in the US, and they are over 15 years old no problems.  Mine are 2 years old and after the 1st season the rubber is cracked and is clearly thinner and different than the ones made in the US, the leather is crappy, the seams are not neat, the laces break when you pull on them. http://picasaweb.google.com/mlaff1979/Boots?authkey=Gv1sRgCMHP16XVsYXolgE# check em out. They are worse now, can't even use the auger with them or I will have wet feet.  I put them away after the first season and when I used them the next season that is how they looked. 

P.S. - If you are reading this Lacrosse Co. please contact me [email protected] and tell me what you have done to improve quality and how you will make me a happy customer again.

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2010, 12:03 PM »
big no on the mucks everyone I have talked to that has had them says they hate them. Don't have them but thats what I have heard from a few people.
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day"

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2010, 12:06 PM »
big no on the mucks everyone I have talked to that has had them says they hate them. Don't have them but thats what I have heard from a few people.

first i've heard of that...why?  because they leak?  no support?

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2010, 12:11 PM »
I guess they don't like a combonation of things not really sure all i know is when they are on the ice they say "These boots suck" and everytime I look down they are wearing mucks. I know I don't like boots with no support which is one reason I never wear rubber boots but thats personal preference

Offline NH Fishin Fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2010, 03:30 PM »
that's what i would do in a heartbeat (cannot beat a lifetime warranty), but they don't come in size 15  >:( >:( >:(

I'm a 15 also...they so discriminate against people with large feet!!!

I wear either a pair of rubber Ranger boots with the removable liner or a pair of Cabelas hunting boots.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2010, 04:59 PM »
Even though my Rockies continue to serve me well, I'd have to go with LaCross today if I was in the market for boots.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Sep 19, 2010, 08:51 AM »
I've had no complaints With my Cablas Trans Alasken III boots. Go one size larger.
Bob P.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 17, 2010, 05:56 PM »
Cabelas Inferno 2000 Pac Boot have served me well both on the ice and for late season deer.

I replaced the insole with some insulated insoles and I wear polar tech fleece socks liners under cabelas extreme cold weather socks and I am great. Cold feet are my weakness and I never have problems with this "system".

J-

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 18, 2010, 08:05 PM »
Predator Extremes, poly liner socks with Wigwam 40 below outter socks. My feet have never been cold, comfortable to walk distances and good ankle support.

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 18, 2010, 08:18 PM »
Got 'em.  By far the best!  Didn't even know they were melting next to my buddy heater until I smelled them!

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 20, 2010, 08:40 PM »
Definitely hard to beat the Predator Extremes. I got an extra set of liners to change out every other day. No matter what boot you get, another set of liners insure you will always have dry feet.

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Oct 31, 2010, 01:38 PM »
Boot dryer well worth the money.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.