Author Topic: Night fishing?  (Read 2930 times)

Offline McfishinWV

• IceShanty Rookie
Night fishing?
« on: Jan 16, 2018, 07:04 PM »
Those of you that night fish, do you do anything different than during the day as far as lure/bait selection? Location (shallow vs deeper)? Target only certain species (walleye vs perch) or do you still catch different stuff?

Thinking about fishing a night or two on the ice at DCL this year, then fishing into the morning. Fished it during the day a bunch, and fish at night the rest of the year (not at dc), just wondering how much I need to switch tactics up.

Thanks!

Offline mwilson118

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Night fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:29 PM »
I've submerged lights a few times on DCL without a lot of success (looks cool but that's about it). I used submersible green blob led lights (basically the same thing I use back home at the lake to cast net for shad and bluebacks (for striper fishing) and crappie fishing at night). I've caught a few perch and some nice bluegill off the state park hump in the middle of night without lights (focused on the sloping side moving from the top towards the state park boat launch and back up until I located fish).

Offline onestring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2018, 07:29 PM »
Fished over night one time at deep creek got set up about 5 fished all night till next morning got a limit of walleyes

Offline flyfishbowhunticefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:10 AM »
My ideal night setup on deep creek involves tipups placed close enough to hear the jingle bells on them ring. They also have reflective flags. Placing a few right next to the shelter and maybe even a deadstick or two inside. Then jigging lipless cranks with rattles. The ultralight rippin raps have produced for me doing this. I will fish shallow near weeds before dark then when the frenzy is over I'll move away to slightly deeper water and re set. Later in the season same tactics just deeper water. Lighting has not made a difference.
Y'all catchin?

Offline McfishinWV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies. That all makes sense. I imagined Walleye would be the primary target at night as that’s when I go after them most of the time in rivers/lakes the rest of the year. I fish at night bunch the rest of the year for lots of stuff (bass, Striper, Catfish, Walleye, trout, etc) but never targeted perch or panfish at night so didn’t even know if they were worth targeting or if I should stick to the Walleye. Thanks!

Offline onestring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:51 AM »
I've done good on crappie and blue gills at night never got any perch after dark tho

Offline minnook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2018, 05:33 PM »
perch most times dont bite well at night they have poor night vision even tho they are related to the walleye

Offline TheFarmProductions

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2018, 04:14 PM »
Hey im from Pittsburgh and taking my first ice trip to deep creek Saturday. Anyone have any tips i was planning to get some panfish but mainly walleye. Any tips on what set. I was thinking tip ups with spinners right near dark. Where are the weeds at where they come in at night. Ill be fishing the star park. Anything helps thanks.

Offline onestring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2018, 07:52 AM »
Make sure u have enough line on ur tip ups a bud of mine didn't have enough line couldn't get to the bottom first trip  we are also from Pitt we don't use spinners just split shot and a hook and a minnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2018, 09:24 AM »
If you're fishing at night and can't get to bottom chances are you're set too deep anyways. I would never fish walleye evening or dark past 20 ft. All of my pm eyes come from 7-15 ft. Personally I would only fish deeper if it was middle of the day.
Y'all catchin?

Offline onestring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2018, 11:36 AM »
It was a day trip

Offline TheFarmProductions

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2018, 12:15 PM »
Tan sk guys do you think the perch will be in in the evening and morning on the hump off the state park? I think they should move in there to go get some food.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2018, 03:54 PM »
Never fished the hump. But I know after dark to perch are nearly impossible to catch. My girlfriend got one last weekend on a rippin raps in 17 fow around 8 pm. Only perch I've ever seen after dark. This weekend may be sketchy though guys. Be careful. The edges might be gone or going, and all the holes that were open after Saturday will likely be huge. If there's skim ice on top of them you could easily find yourself stepping into a hole from last weekend. I'm giving it a break until more cold comes around. Heard the perch are running hard on the eastern shore. Just an example, holes that I had drilled Saturday morning could not be fished with a tipup Sunday morning because they had grown too big to rest the tipups on....  Now imagine those same holes after a week of warm temperatures...  The nightime lows were not enough in my opinion to close them up good. I'm sure the main body of ice will be thick enough, it's just getting on and off and watching for thin or open spots. Plus it's supposed to rain I believe. Bring safety gear and a spud n don't fish alone. Best of luck to yall.
Y'all catchin?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.