Alaska > Ice Fishing Alaska

How long to make burbot set line sticks?

(1/3) > >>

kasilofchrisn:
So I'm going to make some burbot set lines up again this year for when I'm up at the cabin and surrounding area lakes.
Last time I made them I wasn't happy with the lengths I made them.
They worked okay but we only caught small ones.
but I'm a bit worried if I catch something big and it shifts to one side they may need to be a bit longer than I made them last time.
So the plan is to make these out of 1/2 inch PVC pipe.
I'm thinking that should be stout enough.
And I'm just going to wrap them with some braided line in a heavy-duty test.
Typically I put an egg sinker on my line then a swivel then a leader of monofilament and then my hook which will rest on the bottom of course.
on one end I will fold over a piece of duct tape around the PVC where I can write my name and address.
I'm thinking of making them 16" or 18" long.
Cost of PVC is not an issue as that is pretty cheap.
But do you guys think 1/2" PVC is stout enough or should I go with 3/4"?
And is 18" long enough? I don't think there's any way they could pull that down the hole?
What lengths do you guys typically make them and what do you typically make them out of?
Thanks!

kwackkillncrew:
I used blocks of 18" 2"x2" and then put screws on both ends to wrap the line around (like old school jig sticks).  I used thick braided line for the main line and then used 100 pound mono for leaders then i can just snap on and off to the main line.  I think wood would be more sturdy then PVC. 

kasilofchrisn:
PVC has worked well for me in the past.
I'm just thinking that PVC will last a lot longer then wood because it is going to get wet.
I plan to leave these in the shed at the cabin so be nice if they would last several years.
And I'm pretty sure over the length of a 10" hole that the PVC will hold up to even a big burbot.

Akhardwater:
Where’s your cabin?  If it’s in the Louise area setlines are illegal just so you know.

kasilofchrisn:

--- Quote from: Akhardwater on Dec 10, 2018, 02:13 PM ---Where’s your cabin?  If it’s in the Louise area setlines are illegal just so you know.

--- End quote ---
Can you tell me what page of the regulations it says that?
I understand I cannot have more hooks than the limit for burbot in the lake I'm fishing. But I don't see how that prohibits a set line.
So for instance on Lake Louise the limit is one burbot so theoretically a person could have one set line with one single hook on it for burbot and no other lines fishing.
Properly marked, proper hook gap, set on the bottom etc.
Lake susitna is two burbot and Crosswinds is five burbot.
I might just have to call ADF&G on that one. Or stop by as they have an office just down the road from me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version