Author Topic: Whitefish in Adirondacks (NY)  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Laker Taker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Whitefish in Adirondacks (NY)
« on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:12 AM »
I have caught virtually every game fish in NY except for whitefish.  Can anyone direct me to a body of water where I can legally icefish for them?  I'm strictly catch and release so you don't have to worry about me doing any damage I'd just like to catch a few.  Thanks!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Whitefish in Adirondacks (NY)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:14 AM »
I think they have them in Otsego Lake in Copperstown.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2008, 02:34 PM »
Yes, there are Lake Whitefish in Otsego Lake. There also are populations scattered throughout the Adirondacks, but I don't know the exact locations. Here's a link that might be of some help. http://pond.dnr.cornell.edu/nyfish/Salmonidae/lake_whitefish.html

I hope that gets you somewhat on the right track.

NYSDEC lists the state record Lake Whitefish as weighing a bit over 10 pounds, and was caught in Lake Pleasant in Hamilton County, in 1995. That might be a place to start looking for them.

Round Whitefish are endangered in New York State. Probably shouldn't fish for them... :o

-Wes

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2008, 02:43 PM »
Probably the best chance I could think of would be Big Burndt lake. It's actually a bay on the north east side of stillwater resevoir to the north east of Lowville.  I've sampled it (I work for the DEC) and caught quite a few of them in there, as well as some amazingly large splake. Its open to legal ice fishing, but is pretty remote, and you would have to access it via snowmobile heading out of stillwater station. its about a 5 mile run up stillwater. If you get serious about trying it send me a PM and I'll tell you more. I would have tried it myself by now if I had a snowmobile.

Offline Flag!!Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2008, 01:14 PM »
Indian Lake has Whitefish  so does 7th Lake of the Fulton Chain
As mentioned Lake Pleasant also

Offline Laker Taker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2008, 04:57 PM »
Thanks to all who have replied with good suggestions.  Indian Lake is by far the most accessible to me of the options so I hope to get on the ice there when it freezes more solidly.  I know that most of the lake is less than 40 feet deep with a hole dropping to 80 something at the north end.  Would you look for them in the deep water?  Thanks again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.