Author Topic: Fillet white fish  (Read 5019 times)

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
Fillet white fish
« on: Jan 02, 2004, 08:19 PM »
How do you properly fillet a white fish. I was thinking of buying some from a commecial fisherman here in Sask. Canada but have never eaten or cleaned them before

CHfish

Re:Fillet white fish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2004, 09:32 PM »
I always filletet them quite lika a trout, make a cut behind the head, turn the blade towards the tail and cut sideways along the backbone. You will cut all the "rips", but you can easily remove them later with the knive.
Hope this is understandable, English is not my mother tongue.

Offline eyeguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2004, 12:58 PM »
I have had whitefish many times before and the way I find it the best is to just gut it and scale it,  then wash it well rub the inside and outside with butter squeeze the juice of a lemon inside and out some salt and pepper,  onions inside (white) wrap in foil and bake in oven for about an hour @ 325 .   Open up the foil and voila!  just peel back the skin and follow the lateral line with a fork lifting the meat away from the bones ,   enjoy!!!!!!!!! eyeguy

Offline Oagie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2004, 04:24 PM »
I do both.  The large fish I fillet like a pike, they typically end up in the flying pan. I gut and scale the smaller ones and typically bake them.  I have a new smoker so I have to put some on them.  By the way, how much are they selling them for per fish.

Offline WhitefishWilly

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fillet white fish
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2006, 06:09 PM »
I fillet them just like a perch. Cut behind the head turn the knife and follow the back bone down to the tail. Flip the meat over and take off the skin. Cut the belly bones out like a perch. The best for frying are the smaller ones about 13" to 15". Then I cut them in perch size chunks and deep fry them with French fry's.

Getting hungry now.

Whitefish Willy

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2009, 10:54 PM »
 Fillet them like a pike. Skin, rib out, cut out the strip with the Y bones just as you would with a Northern. The top boneless strips we call fishsticks. I like to trim off the dark fatty meat from the sides along the lateral line as well.

Spin

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2009, 12:35 PM »
Fillet them if you want them fried...if baked, like others said, leave em whole, just scale em and wash out real good, make sure you get out all the kidney (black stuff running along the spine).
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.