Author Topic: Do You Think Tainted Water Make For Different Tactics??  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Our lake is very tainted in color and about 30 fow some places have 100.  I hear alot of you guys jigging for whitefish are your lakes CLEAR or TAINTED. I jig for them alot but never have any luck always just on still bait on the bottom?? Do you think in clear water jiggin works better or am i just not having luck getting them to bit while jgging??

Offline scuba

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Do You Think Tainted Water Make For Different Tactics??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2007, 12:41 AM »
I am fishing a part of LOTW that is really clear. You can sight fish about 10-15 feet down. I am in 50 fow. Alot of times the sonar is dead. I just start jigging all through the water. Then all of the sudden there will be marks on the flasher. So yes jigging and water clarity in my opinion can make a difference.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2007, 11:31 PM »
I have fished these buggers in clear water and I've fished them as flood waters recede in the river and it is murky as all get out.  Also at the seem in the Summer in a lake where a larger river comes in.

Clear water is definitely trickier than murky water.  Seems like in murky water all you have to do is jig something in a dark green with some maggots on it and you will get hits.  In clear water you have to have the right color and the right jig and hold your head at the right angle,etc...

Good Fishing  :tipup:

Offline scuba

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2007, 09:36 PM »
I have been experimenting with Berkley Vanish because of the clearer water. i think it works great. I use it for a leader though not a main line. So you could eleminate holding your head a certain angle standing on one foot ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.