Author Topic: Places to find Whitefish in N.Y.  (Read 2136 times)

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
Places to find Whitefish in N.Y.
« on: Jan 22, 2006, 08:32 AM »
Where can you find whitefish in Western N.Y.?   ???  I would like to find some to catch.  I have never caught a whitefish.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Places to find Whitefish in N.Y.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2006, 06:16 PM »
Otsego has some... I don't know how far that is from you or if it will ever freeze....

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2006, 09:23 PM »
The whitefish population in Otsego is rather low...Really not worth the trip if whitefish is what you're after...However, if lakers excite you... :whistle:

-Zach

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2006, 07:44 PM »
There are whitefish in Lakes Erie and Ontario. They spawn in the fall and are generally a cold water habitant. Gill nets were used for years to catch them, as there were over 200 fish tugs in Dunkirk at one time targeting them. The smelt killed off the majority of them, but recent years have shown a return of them. They feed on bottom insects mainly. Emerald shiners will work, they have soft mouths that tear if you pull very hard on your line. In the summer look for them in the deeper, colder and oxygenated water. They disappeared with the blue pike and lake trout.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline WhitefishWilly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2006, 05:51 PM »
Where can you find whitefish in Western N.Y.?   ???  I would like to find some to catch.  I have never caught a whitefish.

We fish whitefish off piers in the fall up here in Lake Superior and have good success. I don't Know why that would not work down there. Find a spot on the pier that is at least 8 feet deep. Go up and down trying different places, they are not everywhere along the pier. Also best days are those after a big blow and the sky is cloudy for some reason. We use one salmon egg up here but try some different stuff. Oh we use just a simple slip sinker rig with a 8 inch leader. We also can have a good bite throughout the winter if you can stand the cold and wind.

Good luck

Whitefish Willy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.