Author Topic: depth  (Read 2647 times)

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
depth
« on: Jan 23, 2009, 03:05 PM »
 Heres a question for you whitefish hunters...i got a spot in mind i wanna try for whitefish, whats the shallowest anyones gotten them? This spot is full in the fall (i know cuz my uncle nets them here) there is about12-15 fow with a mud/sand bottom..does it got potential or is it a waste of time? I know they are there in the fall but do they move deep in winter...is 15 fow deep enough ?
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline hillmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: depth
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2009, 03:37 PM »
When thy are spawning they can be found in as shallow of 3 feet of water. After they are done spawning they can be found in up to 30 feet and as shallow as 6 or 8 but finding them after they spawn is the hard part they stay in huge schools and don't seem to follow much of a pattern from one day to the next. If you find and catch them like crazy one day it is just pure luck, you can go back the next day in the same spot at the same time and not see a one.

Offline xeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:31 PM »
Shallowest for me is about 4ft post spawn.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2009, 03:04 PM »
Depth will depend on the lake. On Lake Simcoe 60'-100+' is the most common targeted depths thru the ice. Most current reports are saying 80'-100+' are producing. Hoping to head out on Thurs.

Best Wishes: Rick

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:32 AM »
lakes up here this time of year is on gradual structure 40-60ft. if you have access to a flasher use it!

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:28 AM »
Had good success this weekend in 55 to 65 feet on Sunday.  Sat in 15 ft at at different lake was not as good.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2009, 02:36 PM »
Yesterday 80' seemed to be the ticket on Simcoe. Seen lots caught around us. The 2 of us caught our limit of 2 each including this one of mine.

Rick

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2009, 10:10 PM »
    Green Bay W.I. Whites have been caught in very big numbers in 7 to 14 FOW. Dykesville, Bayshore, Red River area.

Spin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.